#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,670 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 08:18 PM

Well, went and got that Harbor Freight cycle lift to make into GT lift today. $299 with coupon from my cycle magazine.  They put it in my truck with a forktruck and is in a part wood box, pretty heavy. Not sure how I'm gonna get it out now. Probly gonna slide out one end and hope couple of us can lower other end down. One end says light and one heavy. Course the Heavy end is the one  off last!!  Store says about 380 lbs. No room in shop now, hoping to put in house garage and the wifes car will fit over it?  She has a Terrain and it has a low front Fascia that I hope will clear, rest should be ok I hope.  Also bought some folding ramps, aluminum 12" x 7ft for the truck. They seem nice too. Have straps to help hold to truck and 1500lb rating with four wheels vehicle.

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862, Arti and 1 other said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,962 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Sounds like your tractor loading just got easier. It will be interesting to see your lift when you get it set up.

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 08:34 PM

You know we expect pics asap!

• backwoods said thank you

#4 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Now to build onto the shop .... JK

Always nice to get some tools for our hobby.

• Michiganmobileman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 11:21 PM

Excuse an olde womans' input, but hook up the new ramps, slide the box down it and slowly drive out from under it. I learned a long time ago that what I can't lift--- and that's most stuff--- I can usually tip over and roll out of the way.

#6 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 12:26 AM

Please post pics and let us know how much you like it. Picked up a Craftsman lift at auction but might be looking for another.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 04:45 AM

This should be interesting to follow! Is this it?

image_21230.jpg

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,670 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 05:09 AM

Yep! Kinda long, and not wide enough as is, so will need to fab extensions for each side. 1000 lb capaciy it says. Not sure yet how to fasten sides, would like them to be removable. Not sure weather to add square tubing underneath that can come out like a trailer hitch or just lay something over top with exts. hanging from under it, like say a 3" channel. Would have to be one piece then probly and harder to handle. Any ideas for Me? Probly just use wood planks for those,not sure.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 06:16 AM

If it were me, I'd see about splitting that top plate and spreading it to the width you want. Maybe use the 3" channel to attach the split pieces to at the lift points. Then you have the center open underneath. Hard to say without seeing one up close and personal like. I'm not sure how that top piece attaches nor what it looks like in the down position. The 3" channel could cause it to stay higher off the floor then. you might put it together as it's supposed to be, then you can see what you can change to fit your needs. Biggest thing is that any mods will probably void the warranty. What do you think the heaviest tractor weighs you'll have on it?

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,670 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 02:43 PM

Got it out of truck and in garage now. Just kinda pulled out box, set one end down on floor. Opened the cheap crate, and slid the unit down and out of box, was fairly easy.  All the hardware was jambed under it, got it out and instructions.  Wifes car is parked over it now, just missed air dam by 1" or less. Rest is plenty clear.  Will be reading up on set-up and later try to assemble. Then the wifes car wont fit, once casters are on, so may have to wait awhile to assemble. Haven't tried to lift it yet. Won't be spliting top. There is a small panel that lifts out for some reason, not sure yet. How big tractor?  Have that big 2055 white and other 990's, a Whorse GT14 and Power kings, along with little Whorses and Case. The GT14 is probly the heaviest, but it is mostly done, probly won't need to work on it up there. The White is also not needing much work.

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 03:33 PM

That is the lift I have.  glGrumpy before you try to actuate the lift pull that removeable panel up and check the  hydraulic actuator and make sure it is full of fluid.  Mine was empty and had to fill it up.  You will also need to grease the fittings as well.

What I did with mine is I put the front m/c wheel chock in place of the one that comes with it.  Then I took a sheet of 3/4 cabinet grade plywood and cut it so it was the same length from the chock to the end of the table.  I took 1X6 and laid it on the table along the lip on each side and cut another 1X6 to go in between at the top, bottom and middle.  Then I laid the plywood on top and centered it to the table and took short screws and screw the plywood to the 1X6's underneath.  then I took the remaining piece of plywood and did the same for the ramp and I did a 30* bevel cut at the base where it meets the floor.  I used hinges to connect the two peices but I found out the hindges have to go on the underside because some decks will hang on them.  I painted 2 white strips down each side where the lip is on the table and then painted the rest textured black.  I also put 2X2 along the front as a top in case I had didn't have my head on straight. I did have to make some cut outs for the foot pedals as well.

I hold it in place with C clamps and it has worked just fine for the last 6 months or better.

Here is a few pics on mine

DSCF0564.JPG

DSCF0565.JPG

• KennyP said thank you