7 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 06:58 PM

In keeping with my 3 hours of maintenance for every hour of seat time, I pulled Ms. Allis back into the barn today to fix the snow plow lift rod.  The top end was worn & needed to be beefed up with some welding.  

Anyway, when I went to put it back together, I followed the pattern used by the PO: stop block, spring, washer, pin, connector, stop block.  But then I thought, "Why is the spring behind the pin?"  So, I moved it ahead of the connector.  But now I'm wondering "Why is it in front of the stop block?"   More to the point, "Why is the pin in the pattern at all?"  The manual shows only a bar shaped like a Z.  (Both holes were there when I disassembled it.)

Any ideas?  Anyone have a picture of the proper setup or bar?

full view.jpg before.jpg after.jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, March 01, 2013 - 07:02 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 07:21 PM

I don't have one of these but. I am thinking it is for a float or no float type of position?

If you put the pin back to the way it was, it seems like it would bypass the spring and allow the blade to have more positive down pressure.

If you remove the pin it looks like it would allow the blade to come up if you hit something solid?

The pin in the after picture position looks like it will make no difference.

Also the shaft collar up stream on your rod looks like you could set that for the amount of tension you want on the spring (does that move?). For either more pressure on the plow or less

• Michiganmobileman and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#3 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Chris pretty much nailed it, same rod on my blower and blade.
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Yep, it has some give before it starts to bend, since it is not a 'trip' plow.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 07:46 PM

I don't have one of these but. I am thinking it is for a float or no float type of position?

If you put the pin back to the way it was, it seems like it would bypass the spring and allow the blade to have more positive down pressure.

If you remove the pin it looks like it would allow the blade to come up if you hit something solid?

The pin in the after picture position looks like it will make no difference.

Also the shaft collar up stream on your rod looks like you could set that for the amount of tension you want on the spring (does that move?). For either more pressure on the plow or less

Yes, the up steam collar should be movable, if the screw isn't rusted.  Your down-force argument makes sense.  Hadn't thought of that.  I may remove the pin but keep it handy for those moments when more down-force is required.  

• chris m said thank you

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 04:40 AM

I agree with moving the collor down to what you think is good tension and pull that pin in front. This is kinda like  a Power King lift link on there 3pt or lift hitches, but they used a much shorter spring and it has several holes in the rod to adjust the tension with washer and pin,but also had movable block for major adjustments.

#7 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 09:33 AM

The hitch and lift rod, that you now have on your snow plow/dozer blade, were not in use when your tractor was built. The hitch, from your tractors era, had the lift arm sloping back toward the tractor instead of being straight up. Also, the lift rod was just a solid rod with 90 degree bends on both ends.

The pin, that you are having trouble finding the correct place for, does not belong on that lift rod at all. Below are links to manuals showing the set-up like you now have. They explain the assembly and adjustment of the lift rod and components.

http://bsintek.basco...vh5kbp796Dq.pdf

http://bsintek.basco...vh5kbp796Dq.pdf

Disregard page 4 of the second manual. It shows the hitch and lift rod for the small frame tractors.

Edited by achomesteader, March 02, 2013 - 09:35 AM.

• chris m and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#8 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 12:43 PM

The hitch and lift rod, that you now have on your snow plow/dozer blade, were not in use when your tractor was built. The hitch, from your tractors era, had the lift arm sloping back toward the tractor instead of being straight up. Also, the lift rod was just a solid rod with 90 degree bends on both ends.

The pin, that you are having trouble finding the correct place for, does not belong on that lift rod at all. Below are links to manuals showing the set-up like you now have. They explain the assembly and adjustment of the lift rod and components.

Thank you greatly, achomesteader.  That pretty much explains my tractor.  It seems to have been cobbled together from a couple of different models over the years.  It may not be "all original", but I enjoy it.  Again, thanks for setting me straight on how that lift assembly goes together.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hb112