• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Matt O OFFLINE  

Matt O
  • Member No: 28054
  • 119 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:44 PM

I have an old Gilson sitting out back I was given last year. I put it outside because it doesn't look like a real rugged tractor or something that can be used for heavy work and it needs alot of work. I was looking for advice about the quality of the tractor and if it is worth sinking money into or if I would be better off leaving it outside. the motor does spin but needs a new flywheel. what would this tractor be worth if I got it looking good and working well? is it a rare tractor? below are pics. of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2466.JPG
  • IMG_2468.JPG
  • IMG_2470.JPG

Edited by Matt O, February 28, 2013 - 07:44 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:55 PM

That's a tricky question. Even though it doesn't look real rugged it is better than today's LT's. But even if you do fix it up it probably won't be worth all that much. I would take the tiller of it, adapt it to something else and see if anybody needs parts off the tractor. The wheel weights look like they are for 12" wheels instead of the 10"?? on that one. Good luck whatever you decide to do. :thumbs:

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Welcome to GTT. Leave it out but cover it. Keep you eye out for a parts engine to cannabilize. Gilson was a decent tractor. That tiller attachment is worth abit. I'd look for a parts machine. Then try to fix it with the best parts. That way you only invest time. I've gotten most of my parts machines for free by removing them from peoples yards(with permission). There is a Gilson Hood laying on the side of a yard near me. I fix up and sell LTs. They sometimes attract GTs as tradeins. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 28, 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#4 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Your tractor is the same as a ford yt-18 series. hope this helps.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 08:18 AM

What engine is in it?

Ben W.

#6 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 01, 2013 - 01:25 PM

A flywheel for a Briggs twin should be easy to find. Check local mower shops. I get some good parts real cheap in the fall when everything slows down. They scrap out The DOAs and usually sell at scrap prices. Shipping may be more than the flywheel, so buy local if you can. I think I have 3 on parts engines in the chicken shack
  • boyscout862 said thank you