Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Which Type Are You?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Which type are you? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you collect to use or do you collect to restore?

1. Collector and Restorer (14 votes [20.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.90%

2. Voted Collector and User (53 votes [79.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 07:44 PM

I'm like many others here, don't fit into either category by it's self!  

I like my users to look good, like to use my "trailer queens" & like to see what I can make from the cheaper (to buy) "junkers/parts machines".  ~~  Lowell 

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#47 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 04:07 PM

There is another aspect or parameter to being a collector / restorer- user. While there is nothing better to plow, tiller , disc or cultivate in the garden than with vintage iron, I have to ask the question " what do you consider a collectors' tractor"? , I find it hard to believe that there are many Olivers, Wagners , 63 John deere 110's, Case demonstators, or patio Deeres being used to to mow the yard every week.

• josh deaven and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#48 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:59 PM

I know of a guy who still mows his grass with a Black Knight 442.I tried to buy it and he said he could not afford to replace it. :thumbs:

#49 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:11 PM

I don't consider my self a collector of gts anymore than a well stocked tool box makes you a tool collector. I have acquired several GTs of different makes models and sizes. Each one serves a purpose and has its job, much like "you can't fix everything with a hammer and a screwdriver " . I do have 3 early 70s gilsons for pulling tractors and spare parts, but I don't think I would ever own 14 pre 70s cub cadets.

Whats wrong with 14 pre 1970 Cub Cadets?  We have that many at the farm.  LOL!!!!!!

#50 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Whats wrong with 14 pre 1970 Cub Cadets? We have that many at the farm. LOL!!!!!!

I don't see anything wrong with it but to me it like having a 5 gallon bucket full of 9/16 wrenches
  • IHCubGuy and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#51 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:31 PM

What category do I fit in?
; I like my rigs to look factory, but with every option I would use, but made to to look and function as if factory done.??

#52 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:35 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it but to me it like having a 5 gallon bucket full of 9/16 wrenches

:bigrofl:   I may be able to find a quart jug of 9/16 wrenches but not a 5 gallon bucket. 

Somedays I think the herd should be thinned out a little and then I think no I would miss them.  Most of them are different models as well so there is not too many repeats.  Many of our machines have special meanings which is why we have several of some of them.  Best example is our farm tractors.  We have 5 Farmall H's.  Of them three were tractors that have family connection in some way.  1 of the others was modified for pulling to avoid doing that to a family unit and the last 1 was acquired recently by my grandfather for one that he could "tinker" with.

#53 suburban 12 ONLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:48 PM

I collect and use. Most of the ones I buy are in good condition as is and see their fair share of work. Even if they do break, I'm more likely to fix it than get rid of it. I am just getting started with restoring them.

#54 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 09:15 PM

That makes them sound like they are all the same. :(  Every tractors different. They each have their own special quality. You can own two of the same make and model....but their not both the same. :smilewink:

#55 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 10:59 PM

That makes them sound like they are all the same. :(  Every tractors different. They each have their own special quality. You can own two of the same make and model....but their not both the same. :smilewink:

Boy do I understand that statement LTD. I have two 1966 110's that look identical, but are deffinately not the same, as one runs and the other doesn't! :D

#56 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 02:59 AM

I guess I like to refurbish things. Better than it was but not too good to use. I have a Case 195 project that I would love to have it restored to better than new condition.