#46 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6720
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:21 PM

I'd say most people I talk with generally Like or atleast think the Hobby is interesting. There's always the few that think I'm completely Nuts but It dosent really bother me because maybe I am.... I mean What normal person would spend an entire day lining up all their working tractors for a Family Photo :thumbs:  :rolling:

Where's your ride a matic?!?!
  • Amigatec said thank you

#47 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:22 PM

Where's your ride a matic?!?!

I got my Ride-a-Matic and Bolens Rear Tine Tiller after I took the photo :(

They will be there next year as I take the photo annually each summer :D

• antiquetractors said thank you

#48 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6720
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:28 PM

I got my Ride-a-Matic and Bolens Rear Tine Tiller after I took the photo :(
They will be there next year as I take the photo annually each summer :D

That will be a nice family photo!
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#49 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:35 PM

I get a lot of flack from just about everybody, that isn't a fellow collector, on collecting garden tractors. My wife hates them, but the kids love them, and since there are three kids and only one wife, she pretty much gets over-ruled! Since my Dad sold most of his collection, he thinks I need to down size and thinks I have too much. Personally, I think he's upset or jealous because I have more than him. Most of the time when I try and talk tractors with non-collectors, I usually get the question of "how many do you have?", and after telling them, I almost always get the second question of "where do you keep them all?". Again I tell them, and then it's not long until they change the subject because they think I'm weird. Does it effect me? Not at all. Everybody is different, and we all collect different and unique things. Some collections consist of large items, and yet some are small. All and all, we are all still the same. Some people choose to collect ceramic pigs, horses, or dolls. Others collect old advertising, guns, milk bottles, comic books and skillets. Am I weird just because I collect tractors? No, not at all. We collect what makes us happy, and what gives us enjoyment.  

Oh and for the women out there that think collecting is rediculous and foolish? I say you have no room to talk, as I have never met a woman yet that didn't have at least 15 pairs of shoes, and a jewelry box that weighs at least 50 pounds! You may not show off your collection like I do, but when you have more than one of something, then that is considered a collection, no matter what it is!

Edited by johndeereelfman, February 28, 2013 - 09:40 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#50 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:46 PM

One of my nephews stopped by a couple weeks ago so his 2 boys could see the baby calves & such on our farm.  He commented about all the GT's around.  So I showed them to him & he just seemed confused, and asked why.  For the life of me I couldn't make him understand the hobby.  Even when he understood the need for hobbies, he couldn't understand why I wanted so many.  BTW...he's kind of "preppy" like a pure city boy, even though he was raised most of his life right here in Ball Hollow.  Well, I tried explaining that I had different uses for different tractors & it still didn't register, as he said...."but you can only use one at a time".  So I simply asked my preppy nephew how many pairs of shoes he can wear at a time...........  he then understood immediately!   :smilewink:

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 1 other said thanks

#51 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 10:04 PM

So I simply asked my preppy nephew how many pairs of shoes he can wear at a time...........  he then understood immediately!

Great analogy to use on him Daniel, sounds like it was real hard to get it to sink in.

#52 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 11:43 PM

Any time a garden tractor collector or most any other machinery, gun, fishing lure, etc. collector thinks they might be pushing the sanity envelope...  Just seek out a Lionel train collector or scale model railroader, you'll be amazed at just how normal you feel right away!:D

(HO RR was my sickness, my total consuming passion and yes, my mistress if you must know!):D

#53 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 08:13 AM

Any time a garden tractor collector or most any other machinery, gun, fishing lure, etc. collector thinks they might be pushing the sanity envelope...  Just seek out a Lionel train collector or scale model railroader, you'll be amazed at just how normal you feel right away! :D

(HO RR was my sickness, my total consuming passion and yes, my mistress if you must know!) :D

:D

Good one.  I forgot about them.  The dad of a friend of mine had the basement walls completely covered with train cars.  He had five inch wide shelves every six inches, floor to ceiling, covering every basement wall.  They were all full and my buddy said the entire attic was packed completely full of the ones he couldn't display.