#1 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6720
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 11:16 PM

As I left work tonight I started talking to one of my coworkers about gardening and she said she has had a large garden for several years. I then made the statement she needed  to get a garden tractor to make her life easier. At first she was confused, "A garden tractor" she said. I could tell she had no idea what I meant so I showed her some pictures of my little collection. She loved them but I dont see her buying one.

However, I get a lot of opposition from friends and family (especially family) that this is not a real hobby but a waste of time and money. My 5 year old daughter however loves LOVES loves taking a tractor ride with daddy on the old ride a matic. To me that is one of the best parts of the hobby. Spending time with my little one and showng her what so many kids don't get to learn.

We all know we are free to make our own decisions and purchase what we like.

I guess my question is how often does someone discourage you from pursuing your interest in garden tractors? I have found this to be one of the most exciting hobbies I have known. I love flipping through the latest edition of GT magazine and finding a new model of an old tractor I never knew existed.

• broken2, daytime dave, MH81 and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 11:40 PM

I love this hobby and my collection. I have someone about once a week want to know why I waste my time with those lawn mowers. I don't let it get to me. I say, Who cares what they think, I don't.

• chris m, backwoods, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 11:42 PM

I don't find it exciting. I find it very comfortable. Entertaining the kids is one of the great extras of the hobby. Find a small one for her. Paint it in her favorite colors. Govern the engine way down. She will love it.

I tell people that I do GTs because I can't afford the 63 Vette that I would like.

• chris m, larryd and TAHOE have said thanks

#4 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 11:53 PM

I love the affordability,the search,the chase, and giving the kids something educational to do........Yep I only do it for

the kids..........ummmmm yeah right!

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 11:59 PM

I'd be discouraged to think I'm the only one with GT pics on my phone and GTtalk cards in my wallet. Its not for everyone and I'm well with that.

• Texas Deere and Horse, tractorgarden, chris m and 4 others have said thanks

#6 Squire 63 OFFLINE  

Squire 63
  • Member No: 29032
  • 12 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:04 AM

We all have different priorities. Some collect Beanie Babies, some collect Garden Tractors. My brother is collecting Ex-Wives. I like my hobby better.

• grnspot110, Texas Deere and Horse, tractorgarden and 6 others have said thanks

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:06 AM

I go through the same thing! To some of the people I am around, it is like a standing joke to them.For example, I will be on my computer when my Niece and her BF come over,they will ask what I am doing and her Father (who lives here also) jumps right in and will say "Oh he's probably on his tractor forum again Hahahahaha". I just grin and bear it and keep the peace for his mothers sake. It is to the point now that the only person I talk to about my GT's is my Father and you all of course. It is sad that I have to keep it to myself when I finish a project or find another. But no matter what I will never give up on this hobby! I love these old GT's way..... to much. And for me it is also great therapy.

Thank God for this site though! I probably would have gotten discouraged enough to quit the hobby if it were not for this site.

• Texas Deere and Horse, tractorgarden, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:09 AM

All the time my friends and or coworkers give me heck about it. I am so addicted to GT's that it doesn't matter. I am not concerned one bit with what others think (there's a lie LOL) but as far as hobbies, I am in the hobby for the atmosphere. I guess it was Dad that got me started into the old stuff, but it was my wallet and space decided the size of my tractors collected... unfortunately the quantity was only limited by how much money I had... and I was earning good money with minimal living expenses... so hmm LOL. Great hobby, every now and then I get something new to mess with, but lately, both Dad and I have cut back on what we buy, and are getting ready to cut back on what we have... too much stuff that we cant fix, work on, or enjoy it all...

Any hobby is about what you get out of it, and I get the fun of learning the history of, and forging new history with, these old machines. As for the internal combustion engines I hate working on... I picked a heck of a hobby to get into... dangit LOL.

• tractorgarden, chris m, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:16 AM

I have an Iphone and the memory keeps filling up with tractor pics LOL. I am actually posting more pics because of the Iphone though LOL.

By the way Chris, I don't have many people I talk with about my stuff either, too much, and many don't understand how I don't have a clue, nor want to know... how many tractors I really have LOL. It is great to have the GTTalk community to help ease the pain and suffering of our joyous hobby. I mean where else can one post about a tractor and get ridiculed for forgetting to load a pic of the machine LOL. I mean why else would we have a hobby if we didn't have a place to share our latest acquisitions, projects, and read about others that are better at finishing their projects than ourselves. I mean where else can we admit that we might be crazy LOL.

• Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood, chris m and 4 others have said thanks

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:17 AM

We all have different priorities. Some collect Beanie Babies, some collect Garden Tractors. My brother is collecting Ex-Wives. I like my hobby better.

Welcome to the site Squire. :wave:  Be sure to take the time to introduce yourself here.

http://gardentractor...-introductions/

I have to ask, Do you by chance have a Squire 6 built by Bolens, your user name makes me think you might. :D

• larryd said thank you

#11 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:17 AM

Squire 63 welcome to GTT.

• larryd said thank you

#12 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:20 AM

I have an Iphone and the memory keeps filling up with tractor pics LOL. I am actually posting more pics because of the Iphone though LOL.

By the way Chris, I don't have many people I talk with about my stuff either, too much, and many don't understand how I don't have a clue, nor want to know... how many tractors I really have LOL. It is great to have the GTTalk community to help ease the pain and suffering of our joyous hobby. I mean where else can one post about a tractor and get ridiculed for forgetting to load a pic of the machine LOL. I mean why else would we have a hobby if we didn't have a place to share our latest acquisitions, projects, and read about others that are better at finishing their projects than ourselves. I mean where else can we admit that we might be crazy LOL.

We aren't crazy, its the rest of the world that is wrong!

• grnspot110, wvbuzzmaster, tractorgarden and 4 others have said thanks

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:22 AM

We aren't crazy, its the rest of the world that is wrong!

I think it is safer if the world thinks we are crazy, because then no one will mess with our toys lol.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, tractorgarden and 3 others have said thanks

#14 Squire 63 OFFLINE  

Squire 63
  • Member No: 29032
  • 12 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:27 AM

Welcome to the site Squire. :wave:  Be sure to take the time to introduce yourself here.

http://gardentractor...-introductions/

I have to ask, Do you by chance have a Squire 6 built by Bolens, your user name makes me think you might.

Nope, I HAD a 1963 Montgomery Ward Garden Mark Squire, which was a Simplicity 725 with different labelling. I gave it to a friend about 6 years ago when I moved, and have regretted it ever since.

Thanks for the Welcome. :D
  • Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#15 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:32 AM

"However, I get a lot of opposition from friends and family (especially family) that this is not a real hobby but a waste of time and money."

Yeah, like fly fishing shoulder to shoulder with 1,004 other guys on a stream you can cast all the way across into 1006 guys on the other bank is really "a hobby"...  Or whacking a little ball all over the countryside and not even being able to knock your opponent down before he gets his ball in the hole... yeah, that's "a hobby"...

It ain't a hobby unless it draws blood or smells something awful while the hobbying is going on!  The rest is just "games".:D

• MH81, IamSherwood, tractorgarden and 2 others have said thanks