#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Looking at ramps again. Orscheln farm store has some Yutrax  chinese brand on sale. Home Depot is also a seller of brand. HD site had good opinions listed. These are 12" x 89"  and have good grid, straps to pull towards truck and padded ends to set on gate. There is a plain version for $129 and a Folding version for $149.  Folding is nice to keep small when packing, but wonder about weakness of hinges. They are welded and not riveted. I like them. Forgot they are also arched for clearance. Look like good buy to me, but wonder if others may have or heard/seen of them? What's thoughts on folding ones? 1500 lb rating with pair also, should be good for most items I can get into my truck. Bigger rigs, I have two trailers to use.

#2 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:13 AM

I leave a set of the folding type in the back of the truck always. I like them, folded they fit crossways of the bed out of the way Had them for 3yrs now no problems

• Alc said thank you

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 02:47 AM

Rather than start another thread like this one, I thought I'd jump in here. I'm definitely going to need something to 'extend' the ramp on my new trailer.

It's OK for most of my stuff but I have two 'tractors' that are going to be a problem. One is a Bolens Estate Keeper that has the rear weight bar, and the other is Bolens 1886 with a Forklift attachment.

When I picked up the EK, I had to take the weight off to get it loaded.  Since that weight is 80 lbs, that isn't something I want to do any/every time I transport it.

The 1886 only has MAYBE 2" or so of ground clearance, so getting it up the ramp as it is now will be impossible on level ground.  The other problem with it is that it's HEAVY.  The tractor just by itself had a shipping weight of 910 lbs, and by the time you add fluids, wheels and tires it was close to 1000 lbs wet.  Add another 800-1000lbs for the fork lift and counterweight, and it's going to be right at a ton.  That means that I'm going to need some pretty stout ramps.

I'm thinking that something in the 6' long or so neighborhood, with a 1' at most rise, might be the ticket. I'd like to just be able to rest the trailers ramp on the 'extensions''.

Anyone know if there is something like that commercially available that could be modified, or am I going to have them fabbed?

Here's a pic of the 1886 so you can see the limited clearance. 

100_4475.JPG 100_4473.JPG

Edited by OldBuzzard, February 28, 2013 - 02:57 AM.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,674 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 04:53 AM

GL, those look like nice ramps. I like the width of them and the fact they are 1500 lb rated.

OB, with the weight of that tractor and length you need, probably going to have to go with a fabbed set.

#5 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 08:40 AM

Not sure if this would work for you, My mechanic made a set of extensions for the ramp of his enclosed trailer. Where the ramp touches down he added 4ft and made a set of blocks to hold the ramp up then flips the added length out. Gives him a 12ft ramp to load his car. Cowl only has 1inch to the blacktop,oilpan 2 inches

• Alc said thank you

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Guys, got them! Folding ones.  Will try on truck tommorrow, dark now for pix and been up all night/day, going to bed! I also bought one of those Harbor Freight cycle lifts to make for tractors today. Still in truck, too heavy to get out easy. They used Forktruck to load, and wouldn't let me take that home to unload! Garage is full, so gonna put in house garage in box and hope Mama's car can drive over the box!!

• marlboro180 said thank you