• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 old iron OFFLINE  

old iron

• Member No: 1270
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 09:16 PM

I have an s-14h with the snowblower attachment and 2 piece driveshaft.

I'm considering buying a used 48" mower deck that only has half the driveshaft attached to the gearbox. (female half) I don't know what length the missing half is supposed to be, but it appears to be longer than the blower shaft judging by the illustration shown in the manual.

My question is: Will the front half shaft from the blower attachment (the half that connects to the engine pto, male half) .....can that work with the mower deck too or is is it too short?

#2 jjkrjh OFFLINE  

jjkrjh

• Member No: 1171
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted September 27, 2010 - 04:04 PM

The snowblower PTO shaft is shorter than the PTO shaft for the mower deck. I could measure the two if needed. My snowblower shaft has been made locally, it might be slightly off in length compared to the original but not much.

#3 old iron OFFLINE  

old iron

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 27, 2010 - 11:01 PM

That would be awesome if you could measure it, I bought the deck tonight and will need to make a driveshaft for it. Knowing the correct length would really help me........thanks in advance. :smile1:

#4 Guest_Big Bill_*

Guest_Big Bill_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 27, 2010 - 11:50 PM

I'm confused, the female shaft on the deck hooks to the PTO shaft under the tractor going toward the back and the snowblower female shaft hooks to that same PTO shaft going toward the front, so there is no "second" piece for the deck. Maybe I'm not understanding what your trying to say,. Do you need the manual"

#5 jjkrjh OFFLINE  

jjkrjh

• 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted September 28, 2010 - 05:24 PM

IMG_3168.jpg The longer is for the mower.

IMG_3167.jpg The female part of the PTO shaft is also longer.

Let me know if this helped or if you would need anything else. The quick release coupler in th picture on the upper right is slick(had that shaft made locally)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3169.jpg

#6 old iron OFFLINE  

old iron

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 29, 2010 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post that JJ...... that's exactly what I was looking for! :smile1:

I'm in the process of making new shafts for the blower, now it looks like I will need to make a male shaft for the mower as well. I will need to find a piece of 7/8 x 3/4 square stock somewhere, I have a lathe but unfortunately I don't have a mill to shave an eighth off one side of a piece of 7/8 square stock......

#7 jjkrjh OFFLINE  

jjkrjh

• 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted September 29, 2010 - 04:12 PM

I had my snowblower shaft made at a "BIG" truck parts store that also does driveshafts.

The parts list:
Neapco 10-5366
(1" 15 spline quick disconnect yoke)
Neapco 10-5129
(3/4x7/8 rectangular yoke)
Neapco 1-0170----Spicer 5-170x
(u-joint)
Neapco 3/4x7/8 shaft

The shaft came in 3' sections. The parts store cut off a foot---let me take the parts, assemble them to get the correct shaft length. Once I had the correct length, I pressed the shaft into the yoke. Took the yoke with the pressed in shaft and had them weld it. You might check your local "big truck" shops/part stores and see if they have what you need. It was fairly easy to have done and total parts and labor was around $75.00.