• Watchdog said thank you

#48 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Good Evening All: 

I am very sorry for the slow updates.  I have satelite internet and the weather as caused my internet to lose signal many times this week.  At least six times I've had a good update started and lost it.  So here I go again.

9a4su8.jpg

I was really excited to mount those Bolens wheel weights, so I did that first.  I had already been to Home Depot to pick-up new carriage bolts and left feeling a little poorer.  It cost me over $14 for four, six inch carriage bolts.  Anyway, I am loving how the wheel weights look in place and shouldn't complain about the cost of the carriage bolts since the weights were free.

eimqgz.jpg

Here I have the lift point in place and the bucket framework in place.

344s65c.jpg

A little better view of what I have pieced together.  The cross member is 38 inches long and the side pieces are six inches long with 3/4 inch holes drilled for the pivot point of the bucket.

34ipklx.jpg

A side view of the bucket in place.  I still need to weld some reinforcements on the pivot points, so there is a little thicker material for the bucket to pivot on.

I am going to do this in two posts in case I lose my internet again. 

Thanks for having a look and as always your comments are appreciated.

Jeff

Edited by Watchdog, May 24, 2013 - 07:48 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#49 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Looking good.

Do you have any Rural King's or Tractor supply's around that sell bulk hardware? I get my stuff by the pound at Tractor supply, those toggle bolts would've only cost about $3

#50 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:18 PM

So far so good.  Carrying on with the rest now.

1y67x5.jpg

A view from the front.

2yo98o7.jpg

I borrowed the trip latch set up from a video I saw on youtube on .Since I'm working with scrap pieces it isn't so pretty, but it works well.

15eq6p.jpg

Here is a closer view.

Well, that's pretty much what I accomplished last Monday.  The weekend was full of chores, car repairs, neighbours needing a hand and as someone mentioned previously "life getting in the way of our garden tractors".

I hope to get more done this weekend.  More to follow soon.

Jeff

• KennyP said thank you

#51 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Looking good.

Do you have any Rural King's or Tractor supply's around that sell bulk hardware? I get my stuff by the pound at Tractor supply, those toggle bolts would've only cost about $3

Thanks Marty.  There is a Tractor supply close and I didn't even think about them.  I was at HD for some patio furniture and decided to pick them up there.  I guess I paid for the convenience. . .

Jeff

#52 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 05:45 AM

Nice fab work! I haven't checked your thread in a while, it is turning out real nice. :thumbs:

#53 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 06:07 AM

That's looking real good! Thanks for the effort to post the pics!

#54 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 12:10 PM

Good Afternoon All:

I was away last weekend and didn't do anything new with the tractor, but I have a couple of shots showing work done with it.

2m5ff9t.jpg

I have a set of spike harrows on the trailer to drag around my cleared lot.  I was planning on seeding right away, but I have a couple of tons of rocks to pick up first.

2qu6bs0.jpg

Getting a start on the rock picking and making use of the bucket loader.  I was pretty impressed with the load capacity.  The bucket  was well loaded and no lightness in the rear end at all.  This was probably due to the combined weight of my rear end and the Bolens wheel weights. :bigrofl: Seriously though, I wasn't even on the tractor when the bucket was full.

15h9vk.jpg

My good friend (Clark) who deals in scrap dropped by again with something else GT related that I couldn't see going to the scrap yard.  It is a push blade from a Cub Cadet Low-Boy that he actually owns.  So I'll have to add it to the snow plow build when I get the bucket loader tidied up.

fx6z9v.jpg

Clark also gave me this.  It is an explosive ordenance box off of an old Canadian 5/4 ton army truck.  I have been bugging him for this for a long time.  I want to make a small camper out of it for ATV and hunting trips. 

Thanks for having a look.  I hope do more with this project soon and will follow up with pics.

Jeff

• MH81 and twostep have said thanks

#55 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 01:44 PM

Nice job. The bucket looks very handy. Those weights look great!!

#56 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 05:52 PM

As promised, an update.  I have used the loader a couple of times in the "nearly complete" stage and found it to be a pain in the butt.  Since I needed it to be more functional, I got my butt in gear to resolve a few issues.

10pwymr.jpg

Since my bucket is half a cylinder, it tended to roll back when I tried to push into something like a mound of cedar mulch.  To resolve this problem I added a stop to each end of the bucket.  As you can see in the picture, I had to alter that too.  The bucket wouldn't tip all the way forward. So I cut a notch in it.  Now it works slick.  The bucket doesn't roll back and it tips forward far enough to empty the bucket.

fp1bw8.jpg

I made a new trip latch, but need to come up with a spring instead of a bungee cord (it works alright though).  You can see I made a good slope on it so the bucket portion of the latch should push it back without an issue.

2mfh2d.jpg

I had to add a stop so the latch doesn't trip too far forward.  This needs to be adjusted because the latch goes too far forward. . . :wallbanging:

2dabtit.jpg

In this pic you can see it goes just a little too far forward.  "Good job Jeffery" was what my wife had to say about it.  She's so supportive.

rrtx0y.jpg

I used some yelow nylon rope I had to pull the latch.  It works, but offers to much friction to work well.  I made a little "stand-off" for lack of better words, to direct the rope back to the driver's seat.

ht66ap.jpg

I welded this ring to the bucket to pull the bucket back to engage the trip latch.  I'm not happy with how this works and plan to move it more toward the centre.  Another problem with my system here is I made the rope too short.  So when you trip the bucket, it pulls the rope from your hand and you have to get off the GT anyway. :wallbanging:

My next update will see the latch stop adjusted, the pull back ring moved more toward centre, and some means of securing the ropes along the side of the tractor so they don't get tangled in the wheel or the starter/generator belt (I also need to make or find the appropriate cover).

Despite the shortcomings listed above, it did work well for me last weekend.  I moved a couple of tons of rocks with it, dropped the ropes a dozen or so times, but never had to resort to a wheel barrow.  :thumbs:

Thanks for having a look and please feel free to comment and offer suggestions.

Jeff

Edited by Watchdog, July 18, 2013 - 06:17 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81 and twostep have said thanks

#57 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Jeff, I don't think any of us ever built something & "nailed it" the first time.  All is going well.  Yes, you've found issues, but you work them out....same as we all do.  :thumbs:

• twostep and Watchdog have said thanks

#58 jbumgarner OFFLINE  

jbumgarner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10248
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:22 PM

I must say you have done an awesome job.  I must remember this thread for later.  I've always wanted to try and build a loader.  Good Job

#59 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • Member No: 68112
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 11:48 AM

Hey, this is like reading a good book and the last few pages are missing! How did everything turn out....another novel please.
  • ENafziger said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford/jacobsen, implements, loader bucket