• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,674 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Looking good! I have two of those angle finders, one like yours and another small stainless steel one. They do come in handy!

#32 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:21 AM

Good Morning All:

Marty, thanks for the input and pictures.  I'm looking forward to seeing your front end loader come together.  The arms clear with an easy 1/2 inch to spare.  I did take your advice about the brace from the bottom of the mount.  I haven't built it yet, but I made sure to leave the mount low enough that a rearward brace would clear the front axle.  Once I've tried it out I'll see if I need it, but like you said before, I'm not sure I will having used that big tube.

I have to modify the snow plow mount, so I can just pull the pin, drop the loader and install the plow.  It's all good fun!

Thanks for having a look.

Jeff

#33 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 05:46 AM

Well I got back to the tractor yesterday, but I had to look after the misses' car first.

35hhabp.jpg

I thought some of you would like to see what my lift is capable of, as there have been a few questions about it in the past.  Anyway, it makes doing an oil change and tire rotation pretty easy.

As mentioned previously, I had a friend turn a piece of my bar stock on his lathe to match the diameter of the holes I had drilled in my bucket mount.

2pzwaas.jpg

So it turns out that my step drill isn't truly 7/8ths diameter.  As a result Jason turned the bar stock down 3/1000ths of an inch and loaned me a reaming tool to true my holes to 7/8ths inch. After making the holes true and the closer tolerance of the pin diameter to hole diameter, I had to separate the loader arms to allow the pin to slide easily through. I realigned the arms with the pin in place and welded things back together.

2w39i4o.jpg

This a picture of the reaming tool.  It is designed for use on a lathe.  Let me tell you, if that thing bites into the material (and it does when you free hand it with a hand operated power drill) you better be prepared to let it go because it hurts when you try to hang on.

I'm hoping to make better progress today and will post more pictures.

Thanks for having a look.

Jeff

• KennyP said thank you

#34 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:02 AM

I'm thinking you're referring to the side handle near the chuck?  I also have the "D" handle for the rear.  I don't like to use it much.  If the bit binds, I'm sure it'll break your wrist.

I'm happy you like my 2 x 4 mock up. It was a scrap length destined for a camp fire or the wood stove.  I'm sure it and and the cut offs will make it there anyway.

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

No no Silly!  I was ribbing you about using a CORDED drill :poke: .  They seem to be a thing of the past.

Good progress, looks like it will be ready to use before long.

• Watchdog said thank you

#35 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 12:42 PM

I got started cutting the material for the bucket ends.

2pyz6kk.jpg

A piece of scrap angle, makes a good fence for the angle grinder to follow.

11cgpdy.jpg

Here is one end in place.

2dky1cg.jpg

I made the piece a little large so I could weld the end on from the inside and outside.  The bucket is in the back of my truck now so I can trim the excess off at work with the plasma cutter.

15nnlm0.jpg

I stopped here so I can figure out where to make the bucket pivot.

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Edited by Watchdog, March 24, 2013 - 12:44 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#36 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 09:27 AM

looks great so far and youve made some great progress

#37 dmorrill22 OFFLINE  

dmorrill22
  • Member No: 10411
  • 42 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:30 AM

I love watching your projects - you do great work!

#38 woopud OFFLINE  

woopud

• Member No: 8500
  • 73 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:05 AM

Hi Jeff, can you tell me what size that tank is, like the diameter, length and steel thickness?  I love that and would make it a lot easier to build my bucket.

Thanks,

Bert

#39 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hi Jeff, can you tell me what size that tank is, like the diameter, length and steel thickness?  I love that and would make it a lot easier to build my bucket.

Thanks,

Bert

Good Evening All:

Sorry for the lack of updates.  I was down and out with the flu.  Then my shop was over run with a friend's vehicles and now I have a P.O.S. Noma 30" riding mower to repair for an old friend. 

Bert, with respect to your questions.  The diameter of the propane tank is 16 inches.  It is a little better than 1/8 ths thick and is 36 inches long between the welded on end caps.  I was set on the 36 inch length (the distance between the outside of my front wheels), so it worked well for me.

I hope to work on things this weekend and post an update.

Thanks for following along,

Jeff

#40 Captain_Sparrow OFFLINE  

Captain_Sparrow
  • Member No: 32281
  • 53 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:41 PM

Heya watchdog, my bucket was made by someone else, out of a air compressor tank. Hey used the left over portion to make a box blade for the same tractor. Just an idea. Your fabrication is top notch. :-)

#41 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Good Evening All:

Please accept my apologies for the lack of updates.  Regrettably, I haven't had an extra 10 minutes to work on my project since my last post.  This weekend is a long weekend here in Canada (Queen Victoria's Birthday) and my Monster-in-law is visiting, so I have no good reason not to be out in the workshop....

wmlezn.jpg

Just getting everything lined up to continue my project.

2aki87o.jpg

My friend who gave me my old White, asked me the other day if I had any use for wheel weights.  I said they would be helpful to my project and this is what he gave me.  Again he was going to send them to the salvage yard.  They line up perfectly on my wheels, but I'll need to get some new carriage bolts to fasten them on.

As always, thanks for having a look and I appreciate any feedback you might have.

Jeff

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#42 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Last weekend I was doing yard work and needed my GT.  I have a 500 cc ATV, but there is no way it would handle the tongue weight.

2wchcoz.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality, but I took it with me cell phone.  This trailer is 1000 lbs empty and it is full of yard waste.  My old GT pulled that effortlessly.  It was on level ground, but I was impressed nonetheless.

Jeff

• KennyP said thank you

#43 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Heya watchdog, my bucket was made by someone else, out of a air compressor tank. Hey used the left over portion to make a box blade for the same tractor. Just an idea. Your fabrication is top notch. :-)

Thanks for the compliment Cap'n.  The box blade idea is a good one.  I have plans to build a mid-mount grader blade as well.

Jeff

#44 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,674 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 08:39 AM

That loader is looking good. Great score on the wheel weights, too. Good to see the tractor earning it's keep!

#45 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 11:31 AM

It's about time!!! :poke:  :bigrofl:

"monster in law" hope your wife doesn't get out here and read. 

Looking good. I have an old hot water tank I plan on making rear balde for my sears...."one of these days"

Little old tractors will surprise you. My Sears will pull tons if I get enough weight onthe front end. I was unloading mulch the other day off the side of my 16' trailer, "thought" I put in neutral, let out clutch to get off. Ended up ramming side of trailer with bucket and almost lifted both tires off the ground on that side, ole girl just kept digging, never stalled, nice black rubber marks on the drive :wallbanging: .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford/jacobsen, implements, loader bucket