58 replies to this topic

#16 Oo-v-oO ONLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 08:39 AM

Just keep in mind HF transfer punches aren't very hard. I have a set - they are good for marking the hole with a light tap but don't hit them much harder or the point will mushroom over and then they're not much use. 

After marking the holes with the transfer punch, go back with a regular center punch and finish spotting the hole. 

Edited by Oo-v-oO, March 09, 2013 - 08:39 AM.

• MH81, bgkid2966 and Watchdog have said thanks

#17 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:20 AM

Guess what? My time appreciation for my Saturday to do list was a little skewed.  Probably wouldn't have been so bad, but the rotten old poplar fell on the fence. So, by the time I got the tree mess cleaned up and the fence repaired I wasn't much interested in doing much more.

I got a little done yesterday. 

mcavj6.jpg

A little filing on the large bottom hole, which is just clearance for the front axle bolt and I got three of the five holes to line up.  As it turned out the two that don't line up I won't be using anyway.

z6fbs.jpg

This chunk of 3 x 4 tube will be the pivot point for the bucket arms.  Just tacked it together to weld up at work.  The 1/4 inch plate is a little heavy for my mig.

s5k09x.jpg

This is what the front boom will look like.  I want to establish the winch location before I weld it all together so I can tack weld nuts on the inside of the tube for the winch to bolt to.

Each section of the boom is 12 inches.  The first angle is 32 degrees, to follow the slope of the front end of the tractor.  The second angle is 45 degrees and I corrected the last angle to 13 degrees so the face of the book is straight up and down (forgot to take a pic of that).

As you can probably tell by all the rust.  I'm trying to use as much salvage steel as I can.  There's a lot of it around and it's considerably cheaper than new.

I hope to get back at it tonight.

Thanks for the comments and the input.  Its all appreciated.

Jeff

Edited by Watchdog, March 11, 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#18 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 05:32 PM

So I have managed to get a little more done.  I thought I would post a few pictures for you all to have a look at. 

2ym6gxy.jpg

My misses stopped at Princess Auto and picked me up a new step drill bit yesterday.  It starts at 3/16ths and goes as large as 7/8ths, which is the size I needed for my pivot pin hole.  I have a short length of 7/8ths bar that I thought would make a decent pin for the bucket arms to pivot on.

1zyg3k1.jpg

Got the winch mounted on the lower arm of the boom.  I welded the nuts inside before welding the boom to the base.  That way I can remove the winch easily if it ever fails.

That's all for now. 

Jeff

• KennyP said thank you

#19 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Well, my comment about needing a support going to the rear....you can throw that out the window after seeing that tube you used for the mount. I used a flat plate on mine, you shouldn't have to worry about bending that tube.  

I would've liked to have welded nuts inside on mine, but tube was too small so I drill big holes in back so I could get socket down in there.

Oh, don't screw up like I did. I thought  "I don't need all that cable on there only lifting a foot or so" so I removed a few rounds. Ended up, it took enough pressure of the cable plate that the cable got lose and bound up on itself, crimping, and actually overlapped so I had to cut it off. Ugh, thankfully I a long section I could put back on. Do though, hook cable end to something, then pull drum lock out and back up and until you removed all cable, Then lock drum back in and then brake tractor making winch pull it while winding cable. This will tighten cable and hopefully prevent future birds nest.

Looking good.

• Watchdog said thank you

#20 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the input  and compliment Marty.  I'll definitely follow your advice reference free spooling the cable out and winching in under load.  Your method for getting to the nuts on the winch mount is certainly as good as welding them in; you'll never have to worry about cross threading.

Made some progress before I had to abandon my project and take my old dog for a coffee.  He's afraid of thunder and gunfire and since I live close to a military base w hear some gun fire from time to time.  They must have been firing heavy machine guns (I could hear the noise above my chop saw and we live 10 miles away) so I put the old guy in the truck and went for a coffee. Then I had to deal with a daughter who is away at university with a power window that won't go back up.  To her credit and my relief, she took the switch apart, cleaned the contacts and got the window back up.  Thought I was going to be distracted from tractoring tomorrow.

iy0u90.jpg

So I made these pieces to add to the sides of my mount to increase the surface area that the pin will pivot on.

2vxjf3o.jpg

Filled in the end of the boom.  Boom isn't crooked, my position in relation to the tractor is . . . I hope.

3486ame.jpg

Cutting the 7/8ths bar that will become my pivot pin.

2pyoojd.jpg

This is the step drill bit my misses picked up for me.  Picture is a little blurry because I have a bit of tremor in my hands from medication.  Makes it hard to do pretty welds ... which is why there aren't any close ups of my beads.

I have more to follow, but I don't want to lose what I have added so I'll do this in two posts.

Jeff

Edited by Watchdog, March 16, 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#21 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 10:43 PM

335e8nq.jpg

Here it is with my spacers added and the pivot pin in  place.  I ran into a problem here.  The 7/8ths bar and the 7/8ths portion of the step bit are a little askew. So I had to bust out my farmers lathe (no offense to those hard working folks intended), an angle grinder with a sanding disk on it.  Clamped it in the vise and slowly sanded it down 'til it fit.  I have a friend who is a pig farmer and he has a lathe, so I'll ask him to turn a piece down for me.

2upwhzn.jpg

Here you can see the addition of my spacer increased the surface area the pin will pivot on from 1/8th to 3/8ths.  I think that will work better.

2vxlixe.jpg

Here I am starting the bucket arms.  Just kidding.  I thought I would mock things up in wood before cutting into steel I actually had to pay for.  I'm not happy with how far out this puts the bucket.  So I sent a picture to a friend who, off the cuff remarked "try a compound angle" for the loader arms.

vyo9ac.jpg

Half a dozen cuts later I came up with this.  22.5 degrees, was the angle I thought worked best.

ie1b4j.jpg

I get good height, good clearance on the winch and moves the bucket eight inches closer to the front of my GT.

312zn78.jpg

I was less than prepared to drill a hole in a spruce 2 x 4 today.  All three of my cordless drill batteries were dead.  My 3/8ths power drill doesn't work anymore (did the last time I used it).  So I had to dig out my older 1/2 inch chuck B&D.  Needless to say it got the job done, but if it didn't I had one more fall back, my Grandpa's really old B&D 3/8ths, single direction, single speed (fast!), electric drill.  It still works well . . . when I need it.  It's like our old GTs built right!

That's all I got done today.  More to follow tomorrow.

Thanks for having a look.

Jeff

Edited by Watchdog, March 16, 2013 - 10:49 PM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#22 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 05:38 AM

Looks like you're getting things figured out! Good idea using the wood for figuring things out!

#23 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the update, coming together very nicely :thumbs: .

I like the idea of using the boards for making mockups, I will add this to Rays tip on cardboard templates in my brain file for next time its needed, thanks again.  Your welds look good to me.  I share your distress on the uncharged cordless drill batteries, never fails to hit at the worst time.  Oh and one more thing.  What is that strange black thing sticking out of the handle of your drill in the last picture?  Not sure how long since mine has been out (or if it works)

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:34 AM

Finally got a chance to get caught up on this thread.
Thanks for the detail in the follow ups. Looks good and heavy duty.

#25 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the update, coming together very nicely :thumbs: .

I like the idea of using the boards for making mockups, I will add this to Rays tip on cardboard templates in my brain file for next time its needed, thanks again.  Your welds look good to me.  I share your distress on the uncharged cordless drill batteries, never fails to hit at the worst time.  Oh and one more thing.  What is that strange black thing sticking out of the handle of your drill in the last picture?  Not sure how long since mine has been out (or if it works)

I'm thinking you're referring to the side handle near the chuck?  I also have the "D" handle for the rear.  I don't like to use it much.  If the bit binds, I'm sure it'll break your wrist.

I'm happy you like my 2 x 4 mock up. It was a scrap length destined for a camp fire or the wood stove.  I'm sure it and and the cut offs will make it there anyway.

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

• Michiganmobileman said thank you

#26 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 02:45 PM

I made a fair bit of progress today and have a bunch more pictures to post, but I'm going to soak in the hot tub for a bit first, my back is killing me. 

Jeff

#27 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 04:21 PM

Good Afternoon All:

As I mentioned earlier, I made some progress and was careful to take pictures as I progressed.

5zpaix.jpg

I had to show you this neat little tool.  It is a cheap plastic angle finder, but I have found it extremely useful in determining unknown angles and use it to adjust the angle on my chop saw frequently.  Worth it's weight in gold as far as I am concerned.  I have seen others that are more sturdy, but I haven't seen any that are graduated so as to provide the exact degree.

23lf5av.jpg

As you can see, it works quite well.  The lower limbs are longer than I intend to use, but I haven't figured out exactly how long I want them to be and I would rather cut off than add on.  With the evident lack of rust, you can tell that this is the steel I had to pay for.

o0ueza.jpg

I laid the propane cylinder down in my wood trailer (I use it to bring wood into the garage from the pile) and started cutting.  This time I only cut out what I needed to save on cutting disks on the angle grinder.

16hkcpy.jpg

I laid out the 1/4 x 6 inch flat stock that will be the leading edge of my bucket.  Then I tucked the curved portion from the cylinder behind it and tacked it to the table and welded them together.

Then I had a visitor and all my work stopped.  I have left out some pictures here because I took them with my phone instead of my camera.  I'll get it sorted out and add another post today.

Thanks for looking and the kind comments.

Jeff

Edited by Watchdog, March 17, 2013 - 04:26 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#28 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Here are the others from my phone.  I just took other pictures with the camera.  Emailing pictures to myself and downloading would have taken longer than a few new pictures on the camera.

23ll9qc.jpg

This is a spring loaded center punch.  Another useful item I have and I am sure many others do as well, but if you don't it's worth the $5 it costs.

34obhir.jpg

I went with a parallel arm configuration to limit lateral movement.  This adds weight of course, but since I am using 1/8th wall tubing it's not so bad.  I have been weighing things as I progress and I don't think it's too heavy so far. 

2s5z1gy.jpg

View from the front.  Not much to comment on here.

mna8i.jpg

The left over propane cylinder.  Looks like the start of a BBQ.  I'm going to fill it full of a bunch of small unusable steel pieces and take it to a friend who deals in scrap.

That's all for today.  Again, thanks for having a look and I appreciate your comments and ideas.

Jeff

• Alc said thank you

#29 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 05:53 PM

i just found this build looks like your off to a great start

#30 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Looking good, built very stout. Those are some heavy pins, I used 3/4 grade 8 bolts for my pins.

Do the arms pivot okay on mount? Pics look like corners will hit on back of mount. I had to round mine some so they wouldn't bind.

I too like using wood to mock up, I will be building most of FEL in wood before I cut into any steel.

100_0964.jpg

I ended up putting my angle in the front of my arm, I was hoping to get away from it, but blade did not sit level on the ground when angled so had to happen. Cut a bird's mouth then rewelded, worked pretty well.

100_0983.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford/jacobsen, implements, loader bucket