I have a Craftsman branded poly cart that has served me well. It has done everything I have ever asked of it and more.
I have had an idea for a long time to use the stake pockets molded into the trailer bed along with some left over wire shelves from those fantastic wire storage racks to make some sides for the trailer to carry more brush, leaves and fire wood. I cleared the 2" of slush out of the driveway and now it is pouring, so today is the day.
I went out and bought two 8' pieces of strapping and hardware for the project. I parked the car outside the garage and set to work. I measured the wire shelves, they are 17 1/2" wide. The pockets in the trailer bed are 3" deep.
I cut six stakes 20 1/2" long. The strapping did not fit into the pockets, they were just a little large, so I shaved the ends about 1/16" on both dimensions to get them to fit.
Next I measured the 3' wire front panel and stakes for drilling. I used 3/8" hardware. I clamped the panel in place, centered it and drilled.
The hardware includes a 2" x 3/8" bolt, matching 2" fender washer, regular washer and a stop nut. Twelve sets total. It turns out I could have easily used 1 1/2" x 3/8" bolts, but I wasn't sure at the hardware store.
The stakes are bolted top and bottom on the stake and the fender washer spans the wire on the rack.
Then I completed the first side. I used 4' wire shelves for the sides.
Now I had my biggest problem. I was using the last wire shelf as my work bench!
So I moved all my tools and finished side #2. Here is the finished product:
It can also be used with the front panel out for carrying longer items like brush for the burning pile:
The whole project took me about an hour and a half. I have plans for further customize the cart with tool holders, a chainsaw holster and a basket to carry gas, bar oil, etc. More to come!
Edited by ggsteve, February 27, 2013 - 02:58 PM.