• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• Member No: 5225
  • 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 09:05 PM

I know this post is older but glad I found it. Always wanted to make some. My grandfather used to make them when he knew i was coming for a visit. These go great with bb-q chicken, some slaw, and corn bread, and ice tea for Sunday dinner!

• daytime dave and larryd have said thanks

#17 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Last weekend I made a pot of beans as per John's post above. They turned out awesome!!!! Seriously dark and very tastey. Made some slow cooker ribs to go with them and added asparagus fresh from our garden. If you want a pot of excellant beans follow the recipe in John's link.....Dave

beans3.jpg

beans1.jpg

beans2.jpg

• olcowhand, John@Reliable and KennyP have said thanks

#18 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 12:03 AM

Last weekend I made a pot of beans as per John's post above. They turned out awesome!!!! Seriously dark and very tastey. Made some slow cooker ribs to go with them and added asparagus fresh from our garden. If you want a pot of excellant beans follow the recipe in John's link.....Dave

attachicon.gifbeans3.jpg

attachicon.gifbeans1.jpg

attachicon.gifbeans2.jpg

That last picture sums it up well :D

Glad you enjoyed them :thumbs:

#19 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 12:11 AM

These are about the closet I've found to the real thing, little more work than Dave's, but worth the time......

http://www.ellesnewe...aked-beans.html

Mom's Slow Cooked Boston Baked Beans

After reading this.. off to the store in the morning for a few supplies.. Then fire up the crock pot the next morning..

#20 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 10:03 AM

After this thread started, I have been craving good, home made, New England Baked Beans!  I used to make them 30 years ago, in New England, where I lived.  I remember the first time, I used bacon, a half dozen strips, placed in the bean pot.  I could not eat that bacon.  I then decided to fry up the bacon first, and that was pretty yummy.  Then one day, I bought a little chunk of salt pork.  I followed the recipe almost to the letter, (I used the one from the old "Better Homes" cookbook.  Very similar to yours, that's why my mouth watered when I read your recipe)  That is a must have for New England baked beans, if you ask me.

Yesterday, I finally made some, air conditioner blasting cool air, slow oven blasting warm air.  Bean blasting out that wonderful smell from the bean pot. 

Another must have is one of those old, brown bean pots marker "Hull" or "McCoy" on the underside.  Better than a slow cooker anyday.  I do enjoy our slow cooker for other things such as good ol southern beans and ham, roasts, Corned beef and cabbage, and many other dishes, but not new england baked beans.