18 replies to this topic

#1 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 07:25 PM

So i live in a small town, came from the city but been living in a small town for 10 yrs now. I've been doing renos on the house since i bought it. To the point where I'm on a first name base with the guys at the local building yard, i have an account now. Anyway i usually find myself in the city once a week, and sometimes i figure I'll just pop into one of these boxes stores and pickup whatever i need.

Well prices are better than local, but you almost have to set yourself on fire to get anyones attention. And then the staff that you find, if you can find one, don't know jack about anything.

I've done this a few times in the last couple of years, you think i would learn.

Tonight i needed trim, but the lengths were 16', try any find someone to cut that in half good luck. Back to the local store i go,

Just venting here,

• boyscout862, Newpaws493 and larryd have said thanks

#2 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 07:47 PM

I agree. When our local opened in the next town over the help was everywhere almost to the point of annoying. Now I go in and spot a worker at the other end . By the time you reach there they vanished. Also a lot of the products they sell aren't the best quality and manufactured for that store. At least the big orange store. The blue one isn't as bad. I would rather shop at the local little guys any day.
  • Jehtro, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#3 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 07:58 PM

They sure hide when they see a person buying bags of concrete.

Edited by jms180, February 26, 2013 - 08:16 PM.

• wilberj, Jehtro, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 08:15 PM

At the orange store this week, I got carded at check out !!? D.O.B verification required to purchase rattlecans?! :loosing_it:  :anyone:  

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 08:27 PM

At the orange store this week, I got carded at check out !!? D.O.B verification required to purchase rattlecans?!

Yup, you sure do look like a terrorist.  You were bound to blow up something with those cans, right? 

It's ridiculous.

I try to support my local store nearly exclusively.  I might pay more, but most of the folks know me by name and are always more than happy to help out.

Ben W.

• Jehtro, boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 08:28 PM

I absolutely detest having to go into the Orange store in Mt Pleasant.  Unless you know specifically where the item is you want, you can look forever and of course no one around to help.  We dont have a Blue store in MT P. but do have one in Big Rapids.  The other one that is Green is in both Mt P and Big Rapids and I much prefer to go into either of these than any of the other "Big Box Stores"

#7 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Big box stores are good for certain items but service isn't always one of them. If I need much I call and have the service oriented smaller place deliver it. One thing I have noticed living just off a major highway and driving it every day is how to save money at these places. Save big money is the one slogan. How these people save even more is to haul it themselves. In the process of hauling it home it somehow jumps off the haul vehicle and gets destroyed. Then they get to go back and save even more money. :dancingbanana:

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 08:57 PM

We just went last week to get some things for the new shop. I was looking at the foam board and a guy walked up and ask can I help you?  I told him what I was doing and he said go get the small Items you need and when you get back I'll have this ready for you and he pointed us to exactly where the other items were.  When we got back they were finishing pulling down all the boards then he walked us thru the check out line and loaded our trailer for us.  Plus I got my military 10% discount.  

#9 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:23 PM

At the orange store this week, I got carded at check out !!? D.O.B verification required to purchase rattlecans?! :loosing_it:  :anyone:  

Yup!  Happened to me recently, everything I was going to buy was left on the checkout counter!  I told the clerk why & to pass the reason up the chain of command.  Didn't show my ID, it's none of their business!  BTW, I'm 62 & gray headed, no way I look under 18 (or whatever).  Not the clerks fault, they're just following orders!  ~~  Lowell

• Jehtro, boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#10 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:24 PM

I went with my dad to get a load of sheetrock for a house we were remodeling. When we drove around back to load up our order, We watched all the yard help walk off from us. Then one fellow came out of the warehouse asked if anyone was helping us and then helped load the sheetrock. My dad asked him if he enjoyed working there and then if he would be interested in learning a trade. Dad gave him his business card and told him call the following Monday. Dad was VP of a printing corporation. He said it is hard to find a good employee and when he saw someone doing a good job doing whatever, he would talk to them about coming to work for him. He said he could train anybody that was willing to work and show initiative.

• Jehtro, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#11 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Yup!  Happened to me recently, everything I was going to buy was left on the checkout counter!  I told the clerk why & to pass the reason up the chain of command.  Didn't show my ID, it's none of their business!  BTW, I'm 62 & gray headed, no way I look under 18 (or whatever).  Not the clerks fault, they're just following orders!  ~~  Lowell

So did I miss something here? You can't buy rattle cans without id ? Geez, if they're going todo something bad, chances are they'll figure out a way to get it.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#12 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:37 PM

This week my local big box store checked my id for windshield washer solvent. I'm 37 yrs old with gray hair. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  • boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 11:24 PM

I've found that my local lumber yard is a better deal. The price is often the same as the big stores but the quality is better and if I want a large load the delivery is free. We are better off shopping with good local stores. Rick

• jms180 and larryd have said thanks

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 06:52 AM

All the smaller building supply companies have been bought out by the larger outfits here. We still have locally owned discount places that sell mostly seconds and surplus but for mainline building supplies it's large outfits that rule here. HD, and 2 large Canadian outfits Rona and Kent. I find that there are good people in certain sections of all the stores. There are a lot of retired tradesman working at HD who are able to answer specific questions about plumbing and electrical problems for instance. I split my business among them depending on where I get good service for specific items.

• larryd said thank you

#15 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 07:21 AM

In total agreement. The orange store is worst . the blue and jimmie store is a lot beetter but still a problem but I like the military discounts. Our local store is great and prices aren't that far off, especially if you figure time and gas . They also carry items that i needed that big boxes say they have to order or don't stock . My local store carries a lot more and bigger selection of bolts, nuts,washers, lefft handed also and metric .

larryd