Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Looking To Buy A Jd 330, Anyone Know Much About Them?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 03:21 PM

Just as the title says i am looking to buy a 330 with a deck and 54" blade. Looks to be in great shape. Not sure on the hours yet. Does anyone know much about them and how dependable they would be. Its either this or i am going to buy a new JD D170 to mow with. I think i could do much more with the 330 but it is 27 years old.

• Texas Deere and Horse and backwoods have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 03:25 PM

The 330 is the first generation Diesel GT from JD, it is basically a 318 without power steering, with a Yammar 3cyl. Diesel in it. They are usually easier to buy because of the PS, but you can add PS to them without a lot of work. Very good machines.

• york0060 said thank you

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 03:31 PM

Unless it's whipped, it will serve for many more years.  Do you want to do more than mow with it?  I haven't looked at the D170, but I don't think it would do much else other than blow snow and use tow behind items.  There's plenty of good things the 330 could do and plenty of used items on the Bay and CL.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

• york0060 and backwoods have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 04:47 PM

I'd stay away from a D series JD. Spend a similar amount on a well maintained older true GT of whatever brand and you will be happier in the long run. If you are worried about it's condition and that's the only thing stopping you from a deal then have it checked by the local JD dealer or someone who is familiar with these tractors. Then you will know what you are getting into. 

#5 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 05:57 PM

I have a 332 that I mow with and collect leaves with the power flow bagger.   I wouldnt trade it for anything you can buy at Home Depot, which is where I see you can buy a new D-170 for $2799.  I know you can buy a JD 330 cheaper than that, and it will more than likely(with proper maintenance) out last that D-170 by many years.  Yanmar diesels are very fuel efficient, and reliable.  I havent had to do a lick of work to mine except change the oils.  I have never ran a 330, so im not sure how it handles without the power steering, but I love how agile mine is.  I had a 430, and found it to be bigger and clumsy around all my trees.  The 300 seires JDs are really great machines. 

Attachments are still pretty easy to come by, and you can always find parts on Ebay for these little tractors.  If you get a 3pt hitch for it, your possibilities are endless.  Category 0 equipment is still being made.

If im not mistaken, 330's only came with a H1 hyd system.  Im thinking your front blade is only going to be up and down, and not angled hydraulically.  Thats the other difference between the 330 and 332.  No power steering as Brian mentioned, and only 1 hyd spool.  I also think these engines were manually shut down, not electronically so that can be a plus.

Good luck with it, and how about some pics!!!

#6 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 06:56 PM

The 330 is a 16 hp, liquid cooled diesel. The cooling system is small, it is imperative to keep it clean to make sure it does not overheat. Easy on fuel. It only has one spool of hydraulics, one lever only. That controls the rockshaft to lift the deck or rear implements. (if equipped with a rear lift kit) Front attachments are controlled by a hydraulic outlet circuit on the front of the tractor. Controlled by the same lever. So no hydraulic angle, as David mentioned.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:06 PM

If im not mistaken, 330's only came with a H1 hyd system.  Im thinking your front blade is only going to be up and down, and not angled hydraulically.  Thats the other difference between the 330 and 332.  No power steering as Brian mentioned, and only 1 hyd spool.  I also think these engines were manually shut down, not electronically so that can be a plus.

Good luck with it, and how about some pics!!!

David is correct, I forgot to mention the single spool Hydraulics.

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:21 PM

To make this simple:

If you buy the 330 and don't like it, you will be able to sell it and get most, if not all, of your money back.

If you buy the D170 and don't like it, you can always set it out on the curb for garbage collection.

Comparing the 330 to the D170 is like comparing a Cadillac to a Pinto. Go for the 330 and be happy. You'll be surprised at the amount of chores that you'll want to do with it!

• york0060 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks