• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 darmahsd OFFLINE  

darmahsd

• Member No: 1669
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 10:54 PM

This is the thread I've been looking for. Thanks for the post, Larry. I have a similar dilema. I have this same snow blower off a Snapper LT16 I've been keeping. For a few years I thought I would a adapt it to my John Deere 140 using an old bracket off a model 49 that fits that tractor. I never cared much for the 49 thrower.
Only a single stage. When I found out that the Snapper was too narrow for the Deere at 36", I put it up for sale. With no takers after trying for two months, I'm impressed with what you've done and see the possibilities.

#32 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 09:28 AM

This is the thread I've been looking for. Thanks for the post, Larry. I have a similar dilema. I have this same snow blower off a Snapper LT16 I've been keeping. For a few years I thought I would a adapt it to my John Deere 140 using an old bracket off a model 49 that fits that tractor. I never cared much for the 49 thrower.
Only a single stage. When I found out that the Snapper was too narrow for the Deere at 36", I put it up for sale. With no takers after trying for two months, I'm impressed with what you've done and see the possibilities.

I've had to use the blower a few times now and all I can say is that it was worth the effort.It blows snow like its supposed to do.The last modification I did was to put on a metal chute as the oem was plastic and it was cracked up pretty badly.Larry

#33 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted January 06, 2011 - 08:24 AM

This is the first time I have seen anyone actually make the blower itself wider.
They always just put wings on the side to make it wider.
You did an excellent job.

#34 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 09:32 PM

This is the first time I have seen anyone actually make the blower itself wider.
They always just put wings on the side to make it wider.
You did an excellent job.

I didn't think that adding wings to try and gain 5" on either side would be very good so thougth I'd give it a try and it worked out.We've used it a few times and works like it's supposed to. Thanks for the kind words. Larry

#35 darmahsd OFFLINE  

darmahsd

• 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 11:00 PM

Larry, without having my blower apart yet, because this will be a project for next season, I'm already thinking shortcuts. When you decided to weld the 5 inches to either side, this was very labor intensive, especially since you, like me, don't seem to be equipped with a machine shop. On top of your great skill in doing this accurately, I admire your patience. What was the downside to just making a new shaft? Is it something with the center going into the bevel gearbox? Once I figured out the shaft, I thought the extra expense of these: MTD SNOWBLOWER PART AUGER FOR 40" OR 42" - eBay (item 120665328705 end time Jan-07-11 18:53:20 PST), would save me some trouble. I only have to make it 42" wide and it will be enough to be wider than my John Deere 140 with the rear wheels turned in. If the diameter of these replacement augers fits in the extended housing and I/D the longer shaft, for a 100 bucks and shipping, it would still be worth having a light weight 2 stage to use on my Deere. If the two replacement augers didn't work, I also see replacement paddles for Snapper blowers on eBay that could probably be welded onto the extended auger tubes like you did, skipping that fabrication.

#36 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 08:42 AM

If you can buy parts that you need then thats the way too go.I had almost had the shaft made up as it's just a 1" shaft with a place for a woodrift key in the center and holes where the shear pin/bolts go.Sure it was labour intensive but I like doing stuff like that just to see if I can do it{just for the fun of it}Plus I had the material on hand.LOL I've fixed shafts on my round baler by using the same method sort of like what I did to extend the shaft on the blower.As for the augers it was also one of these things just to see if I could cut them out and shape them to fit. I like doing challenging things like that.I guess its just in me to do stuff like that.All my jobs were like that I was the trouble shooter/problem solver at the places I used to work.So it's just second nature for me to try to do things like that.The funny part of it all was that I had been looking for a 48" wide Ariens blower for quite awhile before deciding to make the snapper wider and of course after I was finished with it I found one .I bougth it for $200 as it was only a 4hr round trip.The other funny part is now after I was finished with widening the snapper blower I ended up with my cousin bringing me a 48" wide single stage MF blower,plus I bought a Allis 716H that has a 42" single stage blower,I also bought another parts tractor that came with a blower as well as the Ariens 48" dual stage blower.I also ended up buying a parts walk behind one just for the metal chute that I put onto the snapper as it was just a plastic one.Even have augers etc that I could have used to widen the snapper rather then make them.It's funny how things work out sometime. Larry

#37 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 09:35 AM

I for one am glad that you did Larry! I enjoyed the posts as the project progressed and you did a fantastic job on it too! Like darmahsd, if they were readily available at a reasonable price, I would probably have bought the parts, but given the time and materials, I wouldn't mind tackling a project like that as I too enjoy that kind of work. Did I mention that you did a great job on that LOL!

#38 darmahsd OFFLINE  

darmahsd

• 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 07:17 PM

I'm also grateful that Larry took the time and effort and posted the step by step photos. It opened my eyes to the possibilities, because I haven't had much luck selling mine to get a 2 stage with the correct width. I have a mig welder and can fabricate, but I don't claim to have either the skill level or patience that Larry has. That's what I get from learning about the project and why I'm thinking these shortcuts, some of which you might have taken if the opportunity was right there. So if I started with a 42" length of 1" shaft, I'll need to grind/machine the center out for a keyway. If that works, and I could buy two left/right 24" augers, than the fabrication narrows down to widening the housing. Hopefully, it works out that way. Thanks

#39 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 08:56 PM

I agree this was a very good post like yo see what people can do when the put their mind to it

#40 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 07:39 PM

All I can say is, WOW! Darn fine job there!