#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 05:57 PM

Bougth this Snapper 38" dual stage snowblower and have been mulling it over if I should make it into a 48" wide blower.I took a good look at it and the main impeler is 14" IN DIA. My 48" ariens is basically the same as what the snapper 38" just minus the width.What I'd need to do is to cut both ends out and add a 5" piece on each side to make it wider.That's the easy part.The tough part will be to either lengthen the shafts 5" on each side[or replace the entire shaft.] off course I'd have to also stretch out the augers on each side and add in a 5" piece of pipe as well.I've been thinking about doing this but haven't really made up my mind.I currently have a add in the local paper looking for a 48" dual stage airens blower but haven;t gotten any replies yet.Think I'll hold out for another week and then maybe tackle making the other one wider.It'll be something to try just for the fun of it.What do you guys think. Larry.

Attached Thumbnails

• snapper mower,blower 003 (Small).jpg

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted September 30, 2010 - 09:14 PM

Got busy yesterday and took the blower apart.I first had to cut[grind out welds] the two side plates.I then cut two 5" x 30" pieces of steel out of a 1/8" plate. I put a bend in one end of each plate and then used a old cream can as my circle or rounded part of the plate.Once I had the end pieces shaped to where I wanted them I tacked them into place.Then I welded both plates into place on the front and backside.I then used the grinder to smooth out the welds.The next step was to drill holes in a flat bar that I used for reinforcement on the bottom edge. Today I made a new cutting edge that also bolts in place.The next thing I did today was to rebuild the skid shoes.I made them 1 1/4" wide and 1/2" taller this way I can get about 1" clearance between the new cutting edge and ground.I like to have a taller cutting edge especially right after the first snow before getting a good base.Saves from digging into the gravel driveway etc: I have lots to do yet but will slowly get at it,and take more pics as I get further into it.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• snapper snow blower 001 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 003 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 004 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 005 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 007 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 008 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 009 (Small).jpg

#3 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted September 30, 2010 - 09:45 PM

You are making good progress on your project Larry! Looking good.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 30, 2010 - 10:24 PM

Looks like you're making some good headway! Nice fab work!

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,116 posts

Posted September 30, 2010 - 10:30 PM

Looking good :thumbs:

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 01, 2010 - 04:32 AM

You're doing a great job Larry.:yelclap:

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted October 01, 2010 - 07:12 AM

Your making great Progress!
Keep the pics coming! :dancingbanana:

#8 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 01, 2010 - 08:27 PM

I took the shafts out of the gear case today and was it a tough start.One of the augers came off very nicely but the other was frozen on.It had never had any grease so with pry bars,heat,and wd 40 I was able to remove the other side.Took about 1 1/2 hrs to get it off.Once I had the augers off I was able to take the gear case apart and get the shafts out.The first thing was to cut two 5" pieces of 1" shafting to weld onto the 38" shaft.I made a couple of holders to act as a home made lathe.Used two 1" ID collars and welded them onto a piece of 1" square tubing.I used them to act as guides or steady bearings.I vee'd both ends of the 38" shaft and one end of the 5" shaft.I used a piece of 2" angle iron to hold them steady and in line with each other using two c-clamps to hold them in place as I slowly welded them together.I'd weld just a bit at a time slowly turning the shaft 180 degree's between welds.I also kept grinding out and impefections as I went along.I did both ends the same way just took my time.Once the welding was done I used the angle grinder to smoothen out the weld's I then set the newly lengthen shaft into my home made [jig] lathe and used the angle grinder again to smooth out the welds.The last thing was to make sure the shaft was straight and as true as possible.I used the homemade lathe to grind where the brgs bushing ride on each end of the shaft.It was almost perfect as one end only needed about .005 taken off the shaft in one spot to get it round and the other end needed to have about .010 removed where there was a high spot.Once I had the shaft trued up as good as possible I drilled and tapped 3/8" holes into each end for the bushing stops.I then placed the shaft into the blower[minus the gear box and auger's] installed the bushing on each end and turned the shaft by hand.I don't have a dial indicator but used a block off wood with a pile if steel laying on top of the block and I placed it right in the middle and turned the shaft slowly by hand and it runs very nice and straight.It was a long day glad this part of the change over is done.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• snapper snow blower 2nd 001 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 2nd 002 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 2nd 003 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 2nd 005 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 2nd 006 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 2nd 007 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 2nd 009 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 2nd 010 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 2nd 011 (Small).jpg

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted October 01, 2010 - 08:34 PM

Looking Good! :thumbs:

#10 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 02, 2010 - 08:08 PM

Had a bit of free time so figured I'd cut out some auger flighting to extend the auger.What a pain to cut them.I cut them out of 1/8" plate.I'll have to shape them a bit yet.I put one over top of the auger to make sure they were cut out right.I'll have to bend and twist them a bit so they hold there shape. .Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• snapper snow blower 2nd 013 (Small).jpg

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 02, 2010 - 08:16 PM

Very nice work, as you always do. You must have a plasma cutter? They are so sweet. I bought one a year or so ago. Nice cutting outfits to say the least. After me saying all this, watch you tell me you cut them with oxy/acet. If you did...you are a pro!

#12 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 03, 2010 - 07:41 AM

Very nice work, as you always do. You must have a plasma cutter? They are so sweet. I bought one a year or so ago. Nice cutting outfits to say the least. After me saying all this, watch you tell me you cut them with oxy/acet. If you did...you are a pro!

Actually Dan I don't have either. I have a electric concrete saw with a 12" metal cutting blade.I use it for all my cutting needs.I cut a circle as close as I can get to 1/8" -1/16" away from the line [using mutiple shallow passes] once they were cut out I clamped them together and used the angle grinder to get them to the shape that I needed.The saw was acting up yesterday it kept jerking [like it was being turned off and on] I'll take a look at it this morning to see whats wrong,hopefully it's just brushes or something dirty,maybe even a break in the cord.I don't have any fancy metal working tools I use simple basic stuff that I have,I don't do enough Metal fabricating LOL to justify the better tools. Larry

#13 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 04, 2010 - 07:58 PM

I finished widening all the parts that needed to be widened.I finished up the auger flyte's and welded them in.I put the augers onto the lengthened main shaft placed the brgs onto each end and set it into place it fits like it's supposed to be. Gave it a few quick spins and it turns nice and straight and smooth.Next step is I have to add 1 1/2" to the shaft that drives everything.It's a 3/4" shaft so I have some 3/4" rod that I'll add onto the end that I want to make lomger.The reason being is that I'am adding a little different drive rather then whats there now.Oh by the way this blower is going to be mounted onto my MF 1655 and seeing that it's pto shaft driven off the front I needed to add the extra 1 1/2" shaft in order to drive a pulley that's mounted onto the shaft by brgs.This pulley turns independent of the snowblowers drive shaft. I'am actually copying the same drive system that my Ariens snow blower has.Once I get to that point I'll post pics of the drive setup.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• snapper snow blower 2nd 014 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 2nd 015 (Small).jpg
  • snapper snow blower 2nd 016 (Small).jpg

• jdcrawler said thank you

#14 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted October 04, 2010 - 09:24 PM

You did a very nice job on that Larry! A little shot of paint and you wouldn't be able to tell that it wasn't a factory 48 inch blower.

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted October 05, 2010 - 06:50 AM

That turned out great!