• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • Member No: 27717
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 12:36 AM

I've been knocking around the idea of giving my beater 1250 here a quick paint job, as it stands there's not much paint left on it, and the motor and transaxle are painted dollar store brown.

I can match the brown, both rustoleum and even Walmart has a brown that's close enough for me.

My question is what was the original white? I keep reading that it was an off white but to me it looks almost like refridgerator white. The underside of the hood is pretty darn close to the Polar white on my Ford. I've heard that Rustoleum canvas white is close but that's way too yellow or beige. I tried Ivory, and Dover white in Krylon, the Dover white is much more white than the others but still looks too off white.

Where these things a bright white or more of an off white when new? All I have to go on is the rust speckled underside of my hood, the rest is too far gone.

To me, it looks to be a bright white with maybe a touch of gray added, not beige at all?

The wheels are an obvious off white, the inside of all my rims, is almost a dead match to Rustoleum Canvas. Yet the hood, fenders and dash are all brighter white.

The original brochure pics also looks like these were pretty bright white but in that pic all the rims are red.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,700 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 06:09 AM

The shade of white and the color of the wheel rims were different depending what year it was made.

Do you know what year yours is?

Pictures will help ID it.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 07:37 AM

I've always liked the "bright" white or the "appliance" white. Your tractor, your choice.

#4 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 08:20 AM

The number plate is gone, but I'm guessing that since its got white wheels its not a 1967.

It may also be built from various other tractors, its hard to tell.

The wheels are definitely more of a beige or off white, but the hood and fender pan is brighter white.

I'm leaning towards doing it all in bright white with everything else besides the wheels, fender pan and hood in brown.

I thought about doing the wheels in red but never thought the third color made much sense.

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 09:09 AM

The "off" white always looked "dirty" in my opinion.

#6 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:46 AM

I was told by an old Bolens dealership that Bolens asked every year for bids on paint,who ever submitted the best price got the contract,thats seems to make sense since there seems to be so many variations in there colors

#7 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 12:35 PM

If it is the 'off white' then Rustoleum almond 7770 is a dead match, if it is white like the HT23 then Rustoleum canvas white is a dead match. My 1556's use the almond and my HT23 use the canvas white. 

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,700 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 01:04 PM

The number plate is gone, but I'm guessing that since its got white wheels its not a 1967.

It may also be built from various other tractors, its hard to tell.

The wheels are definitely more of a beige or off white, but the hood and fender pan is brighter white.

I'm leaning towards doing it all in bright white with everything else besides the wheels, fender pan and hood in brown.

I thought about doing the wheels in red but never thought the third color made much sense.

A picture of the tractor or Serial # of the engine would help determine the year

What color is the steering wheel?

#9 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 04:03 PM

We looked all over and couldn't find any numbers, the plate or panel which should have the model number under the hood is missing. The engine also has no number plate, its been sandblasted and painted black at some point.

Something I notice in the brochures is that those with red wheels have a different hood decal, minus the word "Hydrostatic". Mine is minus the word "Hydrostatic", but  has off white wheels. The hood also may have been changed as its got some overspray on the inside of the grille area that don't match the frame or tank area. So what it is or was may never be known.

#10 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:11 PM

We looked all over and couldn't find any numbers, the plate or panel which should have the model number under the hood is missing. The engine also has no number plate, its been sandblasted and painted black at some point.

Something I notice in the brochures is that those with red wheels have a different hood decal, minus the word "Hydrostatic". Mine is minus the word "Hydrostatic", but  has off white wheels. The hood also may have been changed as its got some overspray on the inside of the grille area that don't match the frame or tank area. So what it is or was may never be known.

Wheel are not the best way to ID a tractor I have over 20 large frames and what you see in a book for the year does not mean what a tractor will have on it for that year dealers sold what they had at the time and so did Bolens.

Post pics I can ID it for you.

#11 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 01:33 AM

This is  the only pic I have of it so far,

http://gardentractor...attach_id=58638

I'm still trying to figure out the Eaton hydro unit as it came to me in a bucket, along with many other parts.
Someone was stripping it before my buddy bought it at an auction.

The hood wasn't bolted on, nor was the fender pan, so there's no guarantee either of those are original. I had to put tubes in the rear tires, they're dry rotted enough to leak. I also have the starter which is also apart, but I'll probably just get it rebuilt or find one on eBay since the old one is pretty beat up. The hydro unit isn't likely from this tractor either since the outer part is painted green.

The hood has the older decals, the wheels are white and not repainted that I can see, so its most likely a miss match of parts.

The engine has no plate at all, by process of elimination and the fact that its got a 3.75" bore its an S14D or an S12D with an S14D upper half, but I've got no idea what year. I found that out today after replacing the head gasket. The original head was missing most of its fins so I found another head and  a new head gasket.

I have compared this to one for sale near me here and mine is missing the plate or panel behind the motor where the numbers normally are for the tractor, and the motor shroud is blank, no plate at all, no holes from it ever being there. The motor shroud appears to have been painted orange and green at some point, so chances are this wasn't born with this motor.

#12 nyrobbie77 OFFLINE  

nyrobbie77

• Member No: 2163
  • 90 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 01:05 PM

the bottom end of the motor is a s12d - note the oil dipstick on the right side of the engine near the hydro/brake pedal.  the s14d had an oil stick that came up thru the top of the heat shield.

as said above, rustoleum almond is near identical to the off white

hope that helps

#13 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 02:37 AM

That don't surprise me, but at least what ever it is it runs good.

The rest is to be determined though.

I figured it an S14D due to the larger bore, the bore diameter matched only the S14D, so maybe they swapped in a 14hp cylinder assembly and piston?

So far I've found no numbers anywhere on this thing, either the numbered parts are missing or replaced at some point.
The hood reads 1250, and going by the sales brochures I've found online the hood is first year style since its don't read 'Hydrostatic' across the bottom of the side decals.

I'm sure the wheels have been swapped at some point, but just as well so could the hood have been swapped.

The immediate issue is still the transaxle.

I have a line on a slightly newer transaxle which is complete for $850, plus shipping.

It may be my best bet at this point. That way I can at least get this thing moving under its own power properly.

#14 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 11:53 AM

I need better pics to ID it.

#15 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 03:36 AM

The white on my 1250, which is original to the best of my knowledge, is somewhere between bright white and almond. I'd basically say its one click down from refrigerator white. Ford has two basic whites, Polar white, or Wimbledon white (code M), the wheels on most tractors matches Ford Wimbledon white, which is sort of an off white or cream color, Polar white or Oxford white (Code YZ or Z1) is bright white used on many fleet trucks. The closest I've seen a spray can so far is Krylon's Dover white, but so far I've only seen it in their Fusion series. I've done a few sets of wheels with Krylon Fusion and they look good but I can't speak for the durability yet. They list it as being for wood/meta/ceramic/plastic, and it will lift most other paints if painted over other enamels.

Rustoleum Canvas is better quality paint from what I've seen but its too much on the beige side. The white that's needed is more a gray tinted white than a yellow tinted white.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1250