• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:00 PM

Dad wrecked his 2001 GMC and now he's getting the truck in the following link. You'll see it has a bed cap on it. I'm wondering should I keep the cap on or take it off? I've heard good things about them , but also negative. Maybe haul a few things, but shouldn't be hauling anything that'll require the cap to be off.

http://www.schumache...-NJ/vd/13281982

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:05 PM

I am avid about having truck toppers on my pickups. I usually take the topper off in the summer, and throw it back on in the winter. Big thing is if you value your fuel milage.. toppers cost roughly 2 mpg to run up and down the road. You won't be getting any GT's in the bed with that topper on it. In winter though, they are excellent for keeping the bed free of snow for throwing or leaving things in the bed.

• boyscout862 and JDGuy445 have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:06 PM

Also, I like the toppers in fiberglass for a hair extra weight (not much) in winter.

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:51 PM

I had a truck with a cap on it and I enjoyed it.  I wasn't hauling a lot of big items at that point in my life, but we went camping a lot so it kept everything dry. Also living around Atlanta they were  a bit safer.  You can always take it off but you have it when you need it.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:01 PM

1/2 the time they are great and 1/2 the time they are a pain. Same goes for a toolbox in the bed. The toolbox is still in my Ford but i am not sure how long that will last? The cap that was on my s-10 is still on it. I sold it to my brother and after running it a couple years gave it to his granddaughter who is still driving it. I see that is a 4 door with a short box, not likely to be hauling 8ft building materials so might as well leave the cap on so groceries are not blowing out. No topper on the Ford the wife drives it mostly(she lets me drive it on weekends) She does not like to take it to the grocery store and usually waits till I get home and takes my buick.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 25, 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:16 PM

The best thing a bout them is they are removable. If you need to haul a refrigerator take it off. My wife's truck has one and I hate it being on there, but she likes being able to toss groceries and her school books in that and them not getting mangled.  Thursday it is coming off so I can go get a tractor and a bunch of junk.

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Usually toppers are not that hard to remove.  If you want a large, dry space, they are great.  I would take it off for the summer and put it on in the winter as others have stated.  I hope he enjoys his new truck.

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 05:11 AM

I have to agree.....1/2 good, 1/2 bad......

This is the 2nd truck I have owned with a topper, and I like it most of the time.

Now that I am a GT collector, I can't get one on the truck with the topper. I do have a small utility trailer that works for local area, but not really road-worthy enough for a really long haul.

My dad has a pick-up without a topper, so I just use it if I need to haul a grill or stove, or refridgerator.

#9 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 07:00 AM

I put a topper on all my trucks. I like the protected area to haul, store, and lock up things. Yes someone who wants to steal something could breakin easily but it keeps the honest guys out.

Also when it is raining, good to know what is store in the back is not wet. I pull a trailer if I plan on picking up a GT so no issues there for me.

Nice truck! Hope it serves him well!

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,922 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 08:20 AM

december 2010.jpg

I put a topper on when I bought my truck in 04. Being able to lock the back end does provide a sense of security when something valuable is back there.

Casey's mileage estimate is about what I have experienced also. It drops the mpg a point or two. It also made the road noise more noticeable in the interior.

The topper I had weighed around 300 pounds. It never came off the truck until I got rid of the topper.

I much prefer the roll-up access cover I have now. My BIL had a truck that matched mine with it on. He wanted to get the hunting dog out of the cab on trips. So we traded. I have an 04 CC SB 2500, he had an 05 CC SB 1500HD, so the boxes are the same. I had the topper painted locally, and put back on my truck until he came up here for a weekend, then we swapped.

I love being able to get taller stuff in by just rolling it back. And with the 07 and newer Chevy and GMC trucks, the tailgate has a lock. If some one wants what's in the back end, they have to cut it to even see whats back there.

Bolens 025.jpg Bolens 024.jpg

• JDGuy445 said thank you

#11 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 08:29 AM

We put a step up cap on ours, works great I can load a D series WH, large frame Bolens etc and have room. Last month I had a C195, 60 inch deck, rotatiller, extra set of tires and ramps in the back coming baxk from Ohio. We were full !

We also usually pull the enclosed 28ft trailer with it and it makes a differance having the height for the trailer

#12 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 09:02 AM

Gotta have a cap here to keep the tools dry and locked up. I have the trailer so not much need to put anything very big in the back. Didn't notice any mileage drop after I put it on either. 16ish MPG on winter fuel and 18 plus on summer fuel.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20120622_195727.jpg

#13 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 03:12 PM

Good to know. The idea of keeping tools back there is good. Before all the tools were stored in the back of the cab and made a clutter. Anyone have a carpet in theirs? Thought about maybe adding that as well. Really it's more of a point A-B truck, hauls tools for tractor show and the occasional tractor parts.

#14 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,628 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 05:16 PM

I ran a topper once - short term.  Didn't like it.  I am physically unable to install/remove them so I keep two pickups and a Suburban sitting in the driveway.  I just jump in the one that fits my need the best that day.   

One of my pickups has a lift gate.  The Tommy Gate adds a good six inches length to the pickup bed, therefore cargo can still get wet even with a topper on.  They just don't work for me.  Its all about what you haul and what your needs are. 

#15 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Nothing makes me madder than the call I just got. The dealer I am purchasing through got the truck from the dealer in the link. Turns out it had some minor problems so now it's going back. So no go on this truck which is a pity because it's exactly what Dad and myself wanted.