Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Mighty Mite - $1200

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 05:18 PM

http://huntsville.cr...3634892828.html

3I23Nc3H95E95K45Fdd2l268b8b8bcb73103c.jp

#2 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 05:53 PM

I just got over a case of the "I Wants".  here you are infecting me again!!!

Neat old tractor. not too many of them still around.       Thanks   Rick

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 06:02 PM

This one has some serious issues. He mentions the clutch being good which is a problem on the M M but the engine isn't even mounted right on this tractor. I highly doubt it has the right clutch but you can't see enough to know. The engine should set down between the frame rails and the crank line straight up with the trans. The hood is also missing.

#4 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Is that the right engine for the tractor?  I thought they used a Briggs, but that looks like a Wisconsin, although I may be wrong.  I'm not really familiar with these tractors, although I'd love to have one.  You're also right about the hood missing.  Didn't they all have hoods, or were they optional?  Again, I wish I knew more.  Someday I'll find a nice one for my collection ....

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Nice tractor, but a little steep on the price, especially with what Doug says is wrong.  Not to mention the tires.

Ben W.

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 06:27 PM

The early ones used a ZZ Briggs but the later ones used a 23 Briggs or Wisconsin (AEN?). As far as I know, they all had hoods.

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 08:24 PM

I'd love to find one of the Jaques-Frazer Model T's that started this design as they were made here in York.

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:41 PM

I'd love to find one of the Jaques-Frazer Model T's that started this design as they were made here in York.

Actually, the Mity-mite was first around 46. Jacques sold Frazier the rolling chassis and Frazier put their tiller engine in it. If I recall right, Frazier defaulted on the contract. Jacques also made power saws. The true name was Jacques Power Saw co. In late 49 they were bought out by Ottawa mfg that built the drag saws and it became the Ottawa tractor. In early 51 the owner of Ottawa died. production was on a limited basis. In July of 51 there was a big flood and everything left was lost. the Frazier used a part of the B29(?) for a hood. Ottawas can have either style.

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:26 AM

Actually, the Mity-mite was first around 46. Jacques sold Frazier the rolling chassis and Frazier put their tiller engine in it. If I recall right, Frazier defaulted on the contract. Jacques also made power saws. The true name was Jacques Power Saw co. In late 49 they were bought out by Ottawa mfg that built the drag saws and it became the Ottawa tractor. In early 51 the owner of Ottawa died. production was on a limited basis. In July of 51 there was a big flood and everything left was lost. the Frazier used a part of the B29(?) for a hood. Ottawas can have either style.

Everything I've read on them is the same basic story with a few details changed.  Seems to be a very convoluted relationship between Graham-Paige, Kaiser-Frazer, Frazer Farm Equipment, Jaques Power Saw, etc.  Do you have any reference to the '46 date as everything I've read seems to indicate the design was Frazer's and Jaques, as a supplier to Graham-Paige's Rototiller brand was picked to produce the chassis.  Final assembly was done at Graham-Paige's plant in York, where the engine, running gear and hood were installed on the chassis.  When Graham-Paige sold off Frazer, Jaques continued manufacturing the chassis and finished them out themselves with Briggs power.

Of course, some of that info is coming from local sources that may be a bit biased....

Wow! Did some more internet digging and all I can say is, don't trust anything on the internet. :D   Although, the date of the Fraser version seems pretty solid at '48, the Jacues version is all over the place.  I've seen everything from '45 to '51 as the start of production.  Everything seems to be "I have a Mity Mite that I think is a 'xx model..."

Edited by Canawler, February 26, 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 01:39 PM

Everything I've read on them is the same basic story with a few details changed.  Seems to be a very convoluted relationship between Graham-Paige, Kaiser-Frazer, Frazer Farm Equipment, Jaques Power Saw, etc. 

Jim, thanks for the information.  Graham-Paige made farm tractors, too, along the way.  I think (if I remember correctly) they were marketed by Sears. 

Were Mighty Mites sold through a dealer network or were they just a local thing?

Ben W.

#11 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Were Mighty Mites sold through a dealer network or were they just a local thing?

Ben W.

No idea.  I did see mention that the Graham-Paige Rototillers were sold through Kaiser-Frazer car dealerships but that stopped (no reason stated) in '47.  I assume the Jaques-Frazer Model T wasn't sold through the car dealerships as they were '48s but if the Jaques Mighty Mites were built earlier, maybe they were available???

#12 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:34 PM

There used to be a website for the Ottawa tractors. It's been offline for a while now wth a message that said something about returning soon. Today when I checked it was totally gone. A Google search turned up a replacement website with this message

Welcome back to the Ottawa Mule Home Page.
This site is dedicated to the preservation of the Ottawa Manufacturing Co.

As you well know, the site has been down for several months.
I purchased this site in April, hoping to be able to continue the site as it was.

We have exhausted all efforts to do so, so we must start from scratch.
If anyone has any useful info from the old website or any pictures, stories, etc please forward and we will upload to this site.

This is your site!
Please feel free to provide any helpful information.
We will only publish info that you have authorized to be published on this site.

This is sad. We had a registry of over 75 tractors on the old site and a lot of literature for the Mity Mite as well as the Ottawa. I'll have to do some more digging and see if I can figure out why my feeble mind tells me 46 for the Jacques. There are Jacques tractors with the cast shrould Z and the Briggs gear reduced hand crank. I've got a model 10 in pieces and it had the tin shrould ZZ with a hand crank. I've never really studied the dealer side of things. The tractors sold through Sears were the Graham Bradleys. I'm not sure wher they fit into the mix.

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 09:09 AM

This is sad. We had a registry of over 75 tractors on the old site and a lot of literature for the Mity Mite as well as the Ottawa. I'll have to do some more digging and see if I can figure out why my feeble mind tells me 46 for the Jacques. There are Jacques tractors with the cast shrould Z and the Briggs gear reduced hand crank. I've got a model 10 in pieces and it had the tin shrould ZZ with a hand crank. I've never really studied the dealer side of things. The tractors sold through Sears were the Graham Bradleys. I'm not sure wher they fit into the mix.

I never saw the Ottawa tractor site but would obviously have been interested in it.

The '46 date may well be correct.  I just didn't see any hard documentation other than posts on forums and none of them seem to agree. :thumbs:   A lot of my info was coming from a couple of locals who own the Frazer version and had a local pride kind of deal about them being from here.  The chassis may easily have been an existing Jaques design.  It would explain the prominent use of the Jaques name with the Frazer name on the tractor.

I believe the building where they produced the Frazers and Rototillers is still in use.  I had always heard of it being referred to as the Graham building but didn't put two and two together until the other night.  It fits the location I saw on one of the websites.