• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bigdaddy198 OFFLINE  

bigdaddy198
  • Member No: 27851
  • 36 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 04:50 PM

I am going to tear down my K321 out of my 444 I have a few guys who insist I should take out the balance gears, then I have other guys who say its a pain to get them correct but to make sure to put them in. Now I have been looking at the crank balance part that Kirk engine is selling and I am thinking thats the way to go I read his articles on the Killer K motors he built and it seems like the balancer he puts on the crank work well also I am considering the pointsaver unit he has up for sale it sounds like a good thing I am just confused as to what all I need to do if I remove the balance gears I wont do it unless I can regain some balance using the kit from kirk cause I dont need shaken baby syndrome any input guys. Thanks in advance

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 05:01 PM

When I rebuilt my K301 I left them in.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 05:08 PM

You can download the factory rebuilding manual for free here. Follow the instructions and foot notes very carefully and you will get an engine that will give you 2000 hours of normal use. If you are planning to use it for high performance competition then you are into a very confusing area. There will be many conflicting opinions on performance parts. I don't compete so I go stock. Good Luck, Rick

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 05:26 PM

The JD 314 does not use the balance gears. The way they dealt with the vibration was to set the idle at 2200 rpms so the motor mounts would not be excited by the vibration of the motor. If you try to idle one at a low RPM it will shake the tin right off the tractor.   

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 07:11 PM

I always take them out.  Like Brian said, just set the idle a tad higher & all will be fine, and NO worries about balance gears putting a picture window in your block.

#6 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:07 PM

I pulled mine, you have to remove the crank to get the top one out, and you need a good set of snap ring pliers, and a good bar magnet (to get the pin bearings when they fall out). I didn't ballance anything. I do not know how the 321 runs with them in, but I had to replace all the rubber motor mounts, and have one mount welded, so it must have some serious vibration with them. Here is it without the ballance gears.   A little shake on start up and shut down, that's all I noticed.

• Moosetales said thank you

#7 bigdaddy198 OFFLINE  

bigdaddy198
  • 36 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:50 PM

I really want to thank you guys I dont plan on doing anything competitive with my 444. But with that being said I am going to remove them and I will put that crankshaft balancer plate kit in it from kirk engines its only 20 bucks plus a bit of machining on the crank to mount the plate to about 50.00 labor but this will put my engine at a 50% RBF(reciprocating Balance Factor) which should make this motor idle as smooth as most twins without boosting the idle RPM's. Also I am going to attempt to improve on about the only other weakness I have seen on the K321 motors and that is the breaker points. I am going to install the ultimate ignition system. Which will eliminate the condenser but still utilize the use of the Genuine kohler breaker points and what is called a pointsaver system which if it does its job should eliminate the problem with cleaning up the points and periodical new points as its designed to make your points last and also the Bosch Blue coil will come with this just making the old points ignition work better than the original we will see. I will also be doing the Master rebuild kit including new valves, seats, guides, govenor gear, we will check the cam if it needs a new one I may put the hot cam in it. After she is done I will get with you guys I know if I leave those balance gears out I will definatly feel it but if I can do it and reduce the vibration at the same time I think I will be curing a problem. Also if the ignition works like it should I will have cured the only other weakness I can see in these Older Flatheads if I can make it run smoother and perform a bit better I will know my money was well spent. I will keep you all posted also I cant wait to post some pics of my tractor after installing glass lenses and halogen headlites, new paint and I will be a Happy Guy thanks all I will update you guys
  • Moosetales said thank you

#8 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 06:37 AM

Got any pics of your rig? Would love to see it. Thanks for posting the topic.

#9 jbadman OFFLINE  

jbadman

• Member No: 8083
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 03:39 PM

My 1979 vintage 444 had no factory balance gears when I tore it down for a rebuild.

When balance gears matter, its at idle. The higher the rpm, the less influential the balance set.

Idle quality was the objector back in the day...

#10 bigdaddy198 OFFLINE  

bigdaddy198
  • 36 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 05:04 PM

Here is what it was when I got it I will take some pics as I go thru the motor I like the tractor alot its got more power at half throttle than any tractor I have ever owned I have my paint, new decal kit, its already got a new seat on it I ordered my parts I am looking forward to this build. And I am going to try and get it painted up stickered up I got a sweet set of glass halogen headlights that are 1/2" taller and 3/4" wider than stock lites and I am goin to mount them right behind my stock holes should be much brighter than stock. I want to get some pics up of it getting done we are going to get 8" of snow tonight and I am bummed as I wont be able to plow but I will get ur done soon

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#11 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 05:35 PM

Here is what it was when I got it I will take some pics as I go thru the motor I like the tractor alot its got more power at half throttle than any tractor I have ever owned I have my paint, new decal kit, its already got a new seat on it I ordered my parts I am looking forward to this build. And I am going to try and get it painted up stickered up I got a sweet set of glass halogen headlights that are 1/2" taller and 3/4" wider than stock lites and I am goin to mount them right behind my stock holes should be much brighter than stock. I want to get some pics up of it getting done we are going to get 8" of snow tonight and I am bummed as I wont be able to plow but I will get ur done soon

Looking forward to your progress, as far as the lights, they are going to get hot, might want to think about some

stick on insulation, to protect hood paint. Good luck

#12 bigdaddy198 OFFLINE  

bigdaddy198
  • 36 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 07:13 PM

I am getting her scattered all over the garage

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#13 bigdaddy198 OFFLINE  

bigdaddy198
  • 36 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 07:17 PM

I am not going to stop till it looks as good as this one dang thats a purty tractor man you got to like it I know I was Impressed

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#14 bigdaddy198 OFFLINE  

bigdaddy198
  • 36 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Well I was taking my motor apart today and got a pleasant surprise. When I got everthing off the front of the motor and I pulled the shroud off I put my puller on the flywheel thought it was gonna fight me at first but I was turning my puller and the flywheel giving it a few little love taps with a small brass hammer when she just about jumped off the end of the crank. I here something hit the ground and heres my problem . It had sheared the keyway on the crank then it broke a piece off the collar inside the flywheel and thats what was making the funny noises when I would try and turn it over. It did scuff up the bolts that hold on the end plate a bit but now I am perplexed do I put another flywheel on it remove the end plte bolts and replace them as I have a good parts motor then I can put it back together. If I do this I am going to rebuild my spare K321 and put it on the shelf. The motor I have been working on has no slop on the piston and all I can see its going to need right now is clean up the carbon on the exhaust valve do a complete cleaning of the top of the piston and intake valve. Next clean up the head I am going to wire brush all the fins and hi temp paint it and put it back to work. It was not a smoker did not use oil and was very clean . Also no leaks anyplace I am going to add the pointsaver box from Kirk engines as well as new points, and the Bosch Blue coil to eliminate any more backfiring my points needed a good cleaning and setting anyways. I am also going to rewire it all replace the old pinched stretched and cobbled up stuff with all new wiring and put her back to work . Wow I got lucky thanks all I knew it did not sound internal Dang that was a lucky Break. !!!!

#15 bigdaddy198 OFFLINE  

bigdaddy198
  • 36 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Well heres some damage but not all that bad I got lucky

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg