• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 03:54 PM

Meh.. we have our son.. I don't need to be sexy any more.. just handy now hahahahaha if i can fix the jeep and tractors i'm golden and she will bake corn bread and roast.. mmmmm mmmmmm good....

#32 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,874 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Something what worked pretty well for us was to asign a monitary value to each day that passed, like 10 or 15 cents (this was the 70's) If the desired toy cost $10.00, by the time enough days had passed to accumulate the $10.00. they had usually lost intrest in what they "couldn't live without". The bonus was that we didn't miss the dime a day and I put it in a jar and it really helped at Christmas or a birthday.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#33 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 06:33 PM

I have a 5 and 6 yo, both boys and two sets of grandparents. At first we didnt even notice that we were getting toys everytime we went to the store. Later we started saying "no" or giving them a spending limit when we did say "yes". Their grandparents spoil them, thats ok because that is what Grandparents are suposed to do. The kids end up with alot of cash, most goes into their bank accounts but when they really see something they want they can use their own money to get it. This past weekend my oldest wanted a new video game that cost $75. He asked me if he could get it and if i would help him get the money out of the piggy bank.

Not every situation has a single right answer and the kids dont come with an owners manual. You will do like every other good parent and feel your way through things.

• boyscout862 and Team_Green have said thanks

#34 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 09:05 PM

I have a 5 and 6 yo, both boys and two sets of grandparents. At first we didnt even notice that we were getting toys everytime we went to the store. Later we started saying "no" or giving them a spending limit when we did say "yes". Their grandparents spoil them, thats ok because that is what Grandparents are suposed to do. The kids end up with alot of cash, most goes into their bank accounts but when they really see something they want they can use their own money to get it. This past weekend my oldest wanted a new video game that cost $75. He asked me if he could get it and if i would help him get the money out of the piggy bank.

Not every situation has a single right answer and the kids dont come with an owners manual. You will do like every other good parent and feel your way through things.

My father has warned me the boy will be getting a mini dirt bike (i had one from doing chores)  So i don't mind.. 

#35 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Something what worked pretty well for us was to asign a monitary value to each day that passed, like 10 or 15 cents (this was the 70's) If the desired toy cost $10.00, by the time enough days had passed to accumulate the $10.00. they had usually lost intrest in what they "couldn't live without". The bonus was that we didn't miss the dime a day and I put it in a jar and it really helped at Christmas or a birthday.

Well.. im not rich so it might be 10 or 15 cents here still. :watch_over_fence: