34 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Remind that when you were growing up you had to walk to school, uphill both ways.

I actually did just that!!! It was up hill on Lincoln and down hill on Bradway to school and Up Broadway to Lincoln and down to the house.. My Friend rode his bicycle to school but did not like the uphill home. So I rode his bicycle home for lunch and walked back to school. So Did it twice a day.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 25, 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#17 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:31 PM

I just tell them to ask their real dad.  He comes by everyday in the truck with the sign that says "US Mail".  :bigrofl:

Truth is I  [we]  don't have any kids.  

• Cat385B, WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 02:32 PM

Never had a problem with the kids wanting things all the time. They have chores to do to earn money to get the things they want. But the problem is as soon as they get some money its gotta be spent right away. We (the wife and I) just don't let them buy the cheap junk and explain to them why.

It was the boys birthday last week (9 years old) and couldn't decide what to get him. So we told him we would go to Fleet Farm and let him pick out what he wanted. He's all into hunting and fishing, though i don't know were he gets it from being I don't hunt and hardly ever fish. He was in heaven looking through the 5 aisles of fishing lures. He ended up get a couple more arows and a bunch of lures. Now he's got something that will last for awhile and enjoy using them.

Video games are more of a family time than anything. We'll get out the Wii and do racing or sports games together. The kids don't just sit down when ever they want, so they don't play them that much. The one toy (s) I have no problems with is Legos. Both the kids have their own and can sit for hours playing with them. They really help with their imagination and besides I have a blast playing with them also :D

• boyscout862, Team_Green and oldedeeres have said thanks

#19 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 03:42 PM

I just simply say NO. worked like a charm. Anything further after that was grounds for butt warming.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#20 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 04:30 PM

One word of warning:  If you do say no, and I highly recommend you teach your kids the benefits of delayed gratification, then stick with no.  I have seen too many parents that say "No, no, no, no, oh alright."  All you've taught the kid is that "yes" follows 4 "nos".  

• CRFarnsworth, backwoods, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#21 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Gerald are you asking for more toys AGAIN????  :rolling:  So what ya buyin now??? Or should I ask what ya wanna buy that the wife said NO. :poke:

I think JS has ya pegged!!! :smilewink:

Wife is out of town.. I'm buying anything i want.. 

I was really curious as a comment in another thread made me wonder this.. I have my ideas (matches up with lots of you fine folks)   My son is not old enough to ask for stuff.. He has a bunch of toys to play with when he gets a bit bigger as i have a heck of a collection of farm toys.. 

#22 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Gerald are you asking for more toys AGAIN????  :rolling:  So what ya buyin now??? Or should I ask what ya wanna buy that the wife said NO. :poke:

Actually i'm selling my 4520.. i have a guy coming out tonight to look at it... I hope it goes as i have a 2130 in my sights.. Ohh i may have found a loader for my ole 70.. :)

• oldedeeres said thank you

#23 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 04:41 PM

One word of warning:  If you do say no, and I highly recommend you teach your kids the benefits of delayed gratification, then stick with no.  I have seen too many parents that say "No, no, no, no, oh alright."  All you've taught the kid is that "yes" follows 4 "nos".  

I have a friend that does the no no no no then yes.. his boy understands how it works.. once they understand how to do things they can earn a allowance by doing things around the house...  Pass me wrenches while i repair things for others i will pay em also...

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and oldedeeres have said thanks

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 06:08 PM

My wife tends to be softer than I am so they ask her usually. I always just say no.

If they want something and & think they deserve it, I tell them to ask their Mom. If she doesn't think they need it, she tells them to ask me... :D
  • backwoods, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#25 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 06:58 PM

Do what my old man did......tell me to get a job.....I was 10

• Team_Green said thank you

#26 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Actually i'm selling my 4520.. i have a guy coming out tonight to look at it... I hope it goes as i have a 2130 in my sights.. Ohh i may have found a loader for my ole 70.. :)

Ahhhhh dude both of those ideas sound,,, well quite "frosty",,,,,, what you suddenly like the COLD????

#27 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 02:52 PM

A deal is being made for a farm out west where it stays around 30f in the winter.. gets up to 110 in the summer..   :smilewink:

#28 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hope its in the middle of no where,,, hate for the neighbors to see ya out in the birthday suit with all that HEAT

#29 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 03:40 PM

108 acre farm.. Ride around on my ole 70 in my bday suit hahahahahaha

#30 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 03:45 PM

I guess youll find out if your wife really thinks your tractor is sexy then huh :rolling:  :dancingbanana:  :smilewink: