• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 timdaugherty23 OFFLINE  

timdaugherty23

• Member No: 1274
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 04:41 PM

I have a 1968 John Deere 110 with a variator issue. When you shift into gear and release the pedal, the tractor will not pick up speed on it's own. You have to pull back on the pedal with your foot, until it speeds up. What can i do to get my 110's variator working on it's own, whereas the pedal would come back on it's own? THANKS!!:confuse:

#2 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 07:36 PM

Sounds to me like you may have a stuck center sheave in the variator itself. This part moves back and forth on the variator hub to change the speed of both the drive belt and the driven belt. If it does not move, you are having to manually move the variator via the pedal to engage the driven (belt to transmission) side. I know there is a tech manual on the 200 series JD's on this site that should give you an idea of how the variator is constructed and how to remove it for repair. I bought a variator (used) that had a stuck center sheave and with a pry bar and some lube I was able to free it. Remember, once you have it loose to clean off the oil/penetrating oil you may have used and spray with some type of dry lubricant to prevent oil from getting on the belts and causing slipping. Hope this helps - just an idea. For more discussion on variators visit the weedend freedom machines website Weekend Freedom Machines search the forums for 110 or 112 variator and you should come up with some other ideas if that is not the case. It could also just be a severly stretched rear drive belt too.

#3 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted September 28, 2010 - 05:41 PM

It could also be a weak extension spring to the variator. But jdslednut is correct I would take the belts off and make sure the center sheave is moving freely. The belts can be critical on the variator drive. If you are using aftermarket belts, you could try some original Deere belts. I stick with the Deere brand belts for the variators on my tractors. Although, I do use other brand belts in other places, with some success. Jeff

#4 RFB OFFLINE  

RFB

• Member No: 1355
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 10, 2010 - 11:08 AM

Anybody have a manual pdf for this tractor.

#5 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted October 10, 2010 - 03:25 PM

There's a 200 series manual located at the following link 200 series service manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk It should me somewhat close to the 100 series is design and function and give you an idea at least of what to look for.

#6 Mikeemc OFFLINE  

Mikeemc

• Member No: 106
  • 1 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted October 16, 2010 - 01:54 PM

I'm with everyone else on this, eather the spring or the center sheve. If its the sheve you have 2 options replace the sheve or have it machined for a sleve slide bearing. check that spring first.

#7 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, had this problem before and it was the spring a ling.