5 replies to this topic

#1 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:02 AM

Well last week when we had the Snowpocolypse here in KC i  did the good neighborly task of clearing 8 driveways  for the elderly. No good deed goes by without a cost. As I came home  I cleared the last 2 feet of our driveway only to have the chain on my snow blower twist and break.

I spent Saturday morning chasing around town to get chain and master links. A previous post indicated TSC would have the chain and at a cost of approx 10.00 for a roll in a box. Well either that member got the last roll at an old price or her got the Sr Citizen discount because my roll was 21.99.  Of course the didnt have the master links I wanted. More chasing around town and no one had the regular connecting links in stock. They all had offsets but I wanted the conventional master link. Bottom line Car Quest had them in the warehouse and at  8 PM I picked them up.

Now to the task of trying to change the chain.

My first 3 hrs was spent on Sunday trying to install the replacement chain on the  blower while it was still attached to the tractor.  I have to admit I dont bend like I did 20+ years ago and I  could not contort myself in a manner to reach twist and get the master link in.

ANother pt of coffee and I decided to pull the blower off the tractor and stand it on its end and see if I could do better.

30 minutes to pull it off the tractor. 5 minutes to stand it on end, 7 minutes of feeding the chain through the openings and loosening the tensioner, then  laying on a creeper belly down ( to stay out of the wet floor) and inserting the master link. Another 30 minutes sliding the blower back into position and re-attaching it to the tractor.

Then 15 minutes playing in the yard making a path for the dogs to do their business.

Moral of the story, sometimes its just quicker and easier to take the implement off and open it up to make the repairs. 

All this just in time for the forecast of tonights snowfall that will go through Tuesday and we are expecting 10-15 inches. Oh joy 

The neighbors will still like me when spring comes.

• Gtractor, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:18 AM

At least you know the chain is up to the task this time. Best of luck with the 'new' snowfall!

#3 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:52 AM

glad you got it done. Are the sprocket teeth still in good condition?

Mike

#4 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Ya That is a nasty job to install that chain.  I use coat hangers to pull the chain though to the front of the the blower and connect it there.

Also watch those sprockets as they can take out a new chain.

#5 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 02:42 PM

The sprockets will make it through this  season but will have to be replaced before next year. The sprocket on the auger is still available but it is pricey. Parts tree wants 88.00 and the smaller sprocket isnt available. SO  I will have to find one and have it welded on the shaft. More fun in the offerings. Removing the auger to replace that sprocket appears to be a full days worth of work.

Edited by Petenpole, February 25, 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#6 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Check w/ a brg supply store that carries Dodge power tansmission products. They can get sprockets w/ tapered bushing to fit almost any shaft.

Mike

• Petenpole said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1655, 1855