• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 07:22 AM

I learned a few things about the FF this weekend while attending the Plow Day. I need to lower tire pressure some. I need wheel weight (filled tires &/or external weight). And I need something to keep the front wheels on the ground. This is what I am thing for the front.

The FF has brackets on the front for a push blade:

Image037.jpg

If I build a box that will hold some of my cast iron window weights, I can attach it there. I have over 100 lbs of those.

Image010 (Small).jpg

That would take care of the front end trying to float!

Next would be filling the tires (they have tubes in them).

• Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 07:33 AM

Looks like you've got a plan Kenny.  No question, getting some liquid in the tires would help a lot with traction, plus you could do that front and rear.  I'd be careful about adding weight to the front of the tractor, it will increase the load on the front axle and bearings.   I'd suggest filling the front tires also and see if that is enough.   On the rear, no question that overinflation harms traction, so when you fill it, keep the pressure low, around 5 lbs, and see what difference that makes.

Fun was had by all?

• KennyP said thank you

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 07:37 AM

I'm not so sure weight would fix it, this spot needed a good chisel plow put to it first.
  • KennyP said thank you

#4 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 07:58 AM

How deep were you trying to plow?

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 08:07 AM

Looks like you've got a plan Kenny.  No question, getting some liquid in the tires would help a lot with traction, plus you could do that front and rear.  I'd be careful about adding weight to the front of the tractor, it will increase the load on the front axle and bearings.   I'd suggest filling the front tires also and see if that is enough.   On the rear, no question that overinflation harms traction, so when you fill it, keep the pressure low, around 5 lbs, and see what difference that makes.

Fun was had by all?

I think some weight out there would help. Biggest problem causing the wheelies was the plow was sucking down to 6" or more. When I tried to raise the plow, it just lifted the front off the ground. So, getting Daniels (Olcowhand) Gauge Wheel on there would do a lot as it would keep the plow from going so deep. I am going to get a 0 to 60 lb air gauge so I know where the pressure is. All of mine right now start at 10 lbs. Filling the tires will take a bit, as they have tubes in them.

crittersf1, I had no idea how deep it was going to go. Should have been about 5", but I was going 6+" most of the time. Without a gauge wheel, all I have to set depth with was the links on the sleeve hitch. I raised them up a couple times, but it just kept going down. If I set the plow as it should have been set for depth, it wouldn't even cut into this hard stuff. So I dipped the point down to get it to start a furrow. This was just very hard sod that may have never been turned before. But, I'd go back and give it another whirl anytime once I'm more prepared for it.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 08:16 AM

I can remember plowing "virgin" ground with the WD45 years ago. Front wheels stayed in the air all day. After the initial turning it was a lot easier from then on.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Having some weight on the plow itself helps a lot too.  I have a 26lb weight on the rear of my plow & it helps tons!  Fill the tires, then add at least 75lbs of rim weight on the left tire, and 50lbs on the right.  It will seem like a different tractor when plowing.  Like you said, fluid fill the fronts too, and add what weight you can to the front without badly affecting steering.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:01 AM

I was hoping Kenny would run it at full throttle, and drop the plow. It'd look like a puller then.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Having some weight on the plow itself helps a lot too.  I have a 26lb weight on the rear of my plow & it helps tons!  Fill the tires, then add at least 75lbs of rim weight on the left tire, and 50lbs on the right.  It will seem like a different tractor when plowing.  Like you said, fluid fill the fronts too, and add what weight you can to the front without badly affecting steering.

I'm learning, Daniel. I think the gauge wheel would do wonders as it was pulling good around 5" deep. It's when it went deeper that the front end would lift as I tried to bring the plow up. Then I had to back up to get it back in the furrow again. The hard ground played a big part of all this. I can see adding weight to the plow to get it to go in the ground. Maybe I can make something off the gauge wheel bracket to hold some weights? I'll just have to play with all the options I am reading here until I get it going right.

#10 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 11:49 AM

What Kenny, no pictures? :poke: Would like to see your setup.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 12:02 PM

It's pouring rain here and snow is on the way. I'm working on ideas, but mental pics don't show. At least, I haven't figured out how to download them directly to the forum yet. But I'm working on that!

#12 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 12:05 PM

Common issue on sleeve hitches, if you converted to 3 point and got the plow a little closer it wouldn't want to raise the front as bad. Also it would be more linear and much easier to ajust this tendancy out. Also you can control the "cut width" much easier too.

• KennyP said thank you

#13 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:14 PM

It was still nice to see you going on the FF Kenny.  As the video went on you were doing better and better.  Nice work. :thumbs:

• KennyP said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm learning, guys! A 3-point might help, but this was so tough. What was raising the front end was when I tried to bring the plow up a little. Instead of the plow coming up, it just pulled the front end off the ground!

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yes Kenny, there toward the end you were laying it over nicely!  It just takes some time to learn, and then it can still be hard depending on conditions.

• KennyP said thank you