#1 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 03:29 PM

I've been tring to get a Tecumseh H70 engine running in my Wheel Horse. It was missing the diodes in the rectifier panel when I got it so I soider in new ones. I did that and installed the wires as they were "I think" then I procided to filing the points and adjusting them. I got everything back together and turned the ignition, the points fried instantly and Im stumped trying to figure out if my wiring is correct or not. Any advice on what I should do?
Thanks Adam

Edited by bread320i, September 26, 2010 - 03:37 PM.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 05:13 PM

I just uploaded Tecumseh's engine service manual # 692509 to the manuals section. It covers a lot of engines, but you may find what you need there. Hope this helps.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 07:09 PM

I think you need to ground the points to shut off the engine and there should not be 12 volts feed to them.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 07:31 PM

Yep, 12VDC was fed to the points...only way to "fry" them. NO power goes to the points except the wire from the magneto, absolutely no battery power goes into the ignition. You may have fried the magneto also! Hope not.

#5 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 08:43 PM

My ignition switch is feeding voltage through the magneto ground. I did pull this switch from another tractor. Are universial 3 spade ignition switches all the same? Can an ignition switch fail like this?

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 08:59 PM

No, not all are the same. You need one that grounds to kill, where the one you used cuts off 12V to kill. This type is used on units that use an automotive style coil.

#7 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 27, 2010 - 05:52 AM

Does this type of switch have a common name? so when I look around for one I know what Im talking about.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 28, 2010 - 05:31 AM

I don't know if the grounded style ignition switches have a particular name or not other then just being descriptive of it. I believe all points style ignitions the kill part of the switch goes to ground.
  • caseguy said thank you

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 28, 2010 - 11:01 AM

You need a key switch that has one terminal marked "M" for magneto. This terminal provides a ground when key is off to kill the magneto ignition. Key switches with "I" on the back stand for ignition & feed 12VDC to a coil.

Posted Image
  • caseguy said thank you

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 28, 2010 - 06:50 PM

Never gave that any thought at all! Wouldn't have even thought to ask the question until I had the same problem as bread320i did. Thanks for the vital info guys!

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 28, 2010 - 06:59 PM

I believe all points style ignitions the kill part of the switch goes to ground.

Oh no George...think of your MF14 all way through 1855 and all others with auto style coils as with Kohler K singles, early Onans, & more. All are point style, but have 12VDC fed igntions. ALL magneto with points kill through grounding, as well as pointless magneto systems.
There were a few Kohler K singles with solid state ignitions...no points. Don't some Bolens also use auto style coils? Anyways, if your tractor has an auto style coil, you need a key switch with an "I" on it. If mag...an "M". You have to remember to look when need a key switch, as someone could have stopped using the magneto & switched it to auto coil. Many people do that to avoid having to pull engine to get at the magneto....just hook points to an auto style coil instead of all the extra work.

Edited by olcowhand, September 28, 2010 - 07:07 PM.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 28, 2010 - 07:23 PM

Oh no George...think of your MF14 all way through 1855 and all others with auto style coils as with Kohler K singles, early Onans, & more. All are point style, but have 12VDC fed igntions. ALL magneto with points kill through grounding, as well as pointless magneto systems.
There were a few Kohler K singles with solid state ignitions...no points. Don't some Bolens also use auto style coils? Anyways, if your tractor has an auto style coil, you need a key switch with an "I" on it. If mag...an "M". You have to remember to look when need a key switch, as someone could have stopped using the magneto & switched it to auto coil. Many people do that to avoid having to pull engine to get at the magneto....just hook points to an auto style coil instead of all the extra work.

Yep you are right, my answer had a lot of open windows and variables LOL.

To throw a wrench into what you said, the Bolens 1053 has an auto style coil with points and magneto style switch.

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 28, 2010 - 07:34 PM

Yep you are right, my answer had a lot of open windows and variables LOL.

To throw a wrench into what you said, the Bolens 1053 has an auto style coil with points and magneto style switch.

Yep, you can still use the mag type switch, but you have to feed the coil with the "accessory" terminal.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#14 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 28, 2010 - 08:22 PM

The switch I put in the Wheel Horse was pulled from a Bolens 1250 that has a automotive style coil. So I found my problem. Thank you all for helping me figure out my problem. Off to the parts store for the correct switch. I learn from my mistakes.

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 29, 2010 - 05:49 AM

Yep, you can still use the mag type switch, but you have to feed the coil with the "accessory" terminal.

You are the man Daniel. :D