• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 988 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 08:58 PM

I thought I'd share a very rare Canadian tractor of which I just became aware a couple of months ago with everyone.  This very unique tractor was made at Frink of Canada, just a couple of blocks away form my house in Cambridge, Ontario (then Preston).  They were designed by Don Gordon.

The prototype for this tractor was made in around 1961, and the production machines were made in 1963.  There were originally two prototype machines, and one of them still survives.  I visited the home of the person who owns the prototype, who, amazingly enough, used to work at Frink and was one of the people who helped build it.  He is a wealth of information.  The prototype is a gear drive and transmission (the transmission was designed and built in-house as well).  After testing the prototype, it was apparent that the gear drive system was not going to work well enough.  So, when the tractor went to production, they went to a hydraulic drive.  So, in 1963, they made all of 18 machines, some single cylinder and some twin, but all of them hydraulic drive.  As it turned out, the machines were too expensive: $1424 for the machine, and $250-$400 for each attachment (the price was too high, which is why they likely went under, and which is why they have such a low build number).  Also, in 1963, hydraulic drive systems weren't exactly common.  So, one prototype is still around, and only 18 production machines were built, and who knows how many of the 18 still survive today (I've found a couple of them).

The tractor is unique because it is built in three main parts: the sulky, the drive system, and the controls (seat, steering, etc.) that sit on top of the sulky.  It was built using three main parts so that you could configure the tractor in six different ways.  The idea was to engineer a very versatile tractor that could be customized to work best for a variety of purposes.  If you look at the pictures below, it shows the various setups as well as some of the attachments.  To have everything work well and to have it work no matter what way things are configured, must have taken a great deal of designing, particularly for the gear drive prototype.  Just designing all of the linkages to work for all of the controls no matter how things are facing must have been tough.  I think the tractor is quite a bit of engineering, considering that the idea was to be able to configure it any way you want in 10 minutes using basic tools.  In many ways, the tractor was far ahead of its time.  They were very, very well built and used technologies that weren't common at that time.

The brochure is a vintage piece of literature that I received from the owner of the prototype machine.  Pictured in the brochure is the prototype machine.  The other picture is of a production machine.  I've been putting together a history of the company and its machines, and have done well so far, but I still have lots that I want to know.  I'm also tracking down as many of the machines as I can.  I'm hoping to have some much better pictures of these machines within the next few weeks.  If you have any questions, just ask.  I've learned a bunch, but what I don't know, I can find out for you.

Gordon Brochure 1.jpg

Gordon Brochure 2.jpg

Gordon Tractor.jpg

• DH1, Gtractor, jms180 and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11127
  • 1,325 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Wow! that is quite a machine :thumbs:

#3 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 955 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for sharing that piece of history with us

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,283 Thanks
  • 6,488 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Never seen anything like that !  Fantastic  machine !   Thanks sharing and please post any more info pics ect

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Very neat piece of equipment. Thanks for posting and post anything else you come up with on this machine.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,487 Thanks
  • 7,359 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 10:45 PM

You are doing a great job. I hope that you are writing everthing down. It would be good if you could video record the conversations with the prototype owner. Did you ever think that you would be a historian? I look forward to your future reports. Good Luck, Rick

#7 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,959 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 03:30 AM

I like it, this is real design! Today one tractor looks like the other.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 05:53 AM

That's very interesting. They were really pushing the small tractor envelope at the time. So Colt/Case were not the only one to use a hydraulic drive in the early days.

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 08:23 AM

Fascinating!  I've never heard of these machines until today.

Ben W.

#10 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,594 Thanks
  • 1,719 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Quite a unique machine.  Thanks for sharing.     Rick

#11 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,468 Thanks
  • 7,621 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 08:34 PM

That is an amazing machine. Thanks for sharing it.