#31 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Lookin' good. Can't wait to see it turn some dirt.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#32 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:29 PM

I was also thinking grab hook when I saw that. I think that if somebody had to have that Clevis, one could be remade.

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 06:33 AM

That is a nice plow, Casey!

#34 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 09:59 AM

I have one of those belly mounted disc plows for my farmall cub , but I have never installed it .  The plowdays I go to are for GT's and even a Farmall cub gets fround upon .

#35 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 10:17 AM

I have one of those belly mounted disc plows for my farmall cub , but I have never installed it .  The plowdays I go to are for GT's and even a Farmall cub gets fround upon .

So you have never mounted your disk plow? How can you stand having a toy you don't ever use? lol

The Plow Day I am heading to in April is open for all tractor sizes, and I have a guarantee of the Cub being the largest GT and smallest farm tractor there lol. Something tells me I will be plowing with the farm tractor group this year lol.

#36 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Casey , my cub presently has a Woods belly mower on it , and I'm getting to old to swap implements .

I use the Woods mower alot and I probably should sell the plow .

I plow a few of my neighbors vegetable gardens and I have other plow tractors . I usually use my 982 , which probably plows faster than the Cub.

I've gone to plowdays where someone brings a new to them compact tractor , and they usually let them plow , but they have to give the guy a good natured ribbing about not knowing the difference between a GT/SGT and a Compact tractor . :shoot2:

Thanks , Jess

Edited by Jlaws, March 23, 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#37 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 04:52 PM

Well, just got in from messing with the Cub. The front axle is still stuck even after heating. However, we had bought an extra front axle recently for the other Cub that had a repaired front axle. Therefore we made the decision to free that front axle up for practice, and we succeeded in freeing it up and determining that the front axle of the one Cub has to come off to be worked on because even heating off the tractor it was not easy to free up the axle without room to work. Anyway, with that said the "new" axle is going to be cleaned up, repainted, and installed on the Cub in place of the current front axle. Probably won't swap it back ever but the original axle will be freed up and kept on hand. Anyway, back outside to finish picking up the tools and put stuff away.

• KennyP said thank you

#38 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Today the cub sits as so...<br /><br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364596199.613485.jpg <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364596221.266029.jpg <br /><br />The replacement front axle is close to being ready to install. Hoping the bushings will be as good as the ones in the old axle. If not there will be more work.

#39 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 04:14 PM

Working on the Cub today. Drained out some of the sludge in the front steering box and added fresh gear oil on top of what remained. Also installed the new front axle and spindle housings onto to Cub as well. Dad and I attempted to free up the old front axle with heat and a spud bar and we still have not won that battle, so it is really stuck good. Got the one tie rod loose that needs to be, left the other side alone since we don't ever plan to move the left side any way. So we have painted the tie rods. The hubs and spindle ends are also painted and drying. Here later this evening I plan to get the front spindles reinstalled and the tie rods mounted. Only bad part is the left front hub will have to come apart to regrease (feels dry). Anyway, gonna walk back out and see my current progress, pics later I think.

• KennyP said thank you

#40 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 08:14 AM

Casey, you've been busy since I had the chance to catch up on this. Looks like you're making headway.

Thanks for the updates.

#41 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 09:00 AM

Sounds like things are going your way on the tractor! Hope you have a great time plowing with it!

#42 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 09:13 AM

Well, last night Dad and I got the front spindles reinstalled and found that the front end alignment seems to be off a mile. But then we also have a bad woodruff key to replace... So hopefully the alignment can get figured out this week...

Kenny, if this was going my way I would be plowing with it every weekend lol. It is all the world of old equipment. You go to fix one thing and you end up fixing the entire component around the already broken part... So far I have been at the back of the Cub and now the front. Before I am done I will be restoring the Cub I am sure... not that that is a bad thing, because it needs it. But right now any "component restoration" done to it now doesn't have to be done in the future. And that should make the actual restoration quicker and more fun. 

• KennyP said thank you

#43 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 05:30 PM

Front axle is installed and greased. Had to replace a key in the one spindle and a grease zerk in the tie rod end. Still have to paint the front wheels before installing them but that will wait. I went ahead and greased the bearings in the disk plow while I had my grease gun out. And i learned a lesson about grease zerks. If the zerk is missing the check ball then when the grease gun comes off, the grease will come out too. So I ended up replacing the grease zerk on the disk plow too. Anyway, on to a picture.<br /><br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364769041.129941.jpg