wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 01:18 AM

I like the disk plow the little I have messed with it so far. The cub has been down for well over a week for repairs and service. We installed a helicoil in the hole that stripped out and then did two more that didn't look like they had much life left in them either. They went really well, but the new bolts I bought for them have not arrived yet... meanwhile the front right axle tube has been soaking for over a week to try to free it up. Best calculations we believe that the front axle has not been adjusted in over 35 years, if not 40 plus lol. The seat and post were finally replaced due to rust. The seat was rusting off the mount and the post has been rusted solid for probably 30 years lol. (anyone seeing a pattern yet lol). Anyway, tomorrow we will be tinkering with the cub some more to get a bit of red oxide primer on what we have off. While I do that Dad may work on the front axle some more, not sure. Planning to have the cub plowing up at the Cochranton Plow Day this year without fail. So far we are on track for that, but I would like to restore the cub one day. Mechanically it is possibly one of the best cubs out there because it has had less than 100 hours put on it since the engine rebuild back in the mid 1970s. And even before that it was never the first tractor of choice to work the fields.

• MH81 and Moosetales have said thanks

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:59 AM

My bolts came this morning! So yay on that, anyway, updates tonight probably.

#18 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hi Casey,

Found this thread and as I grew up using a disc plow I'm very interested in what you've got going on here.  What's the progress?

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Pretty cool! There was a mid mount disk offered for the early Economy tractors, but only the special model (what the very early tractors with 24" rears where called).

Maybe you could post a picture of the Clevis so members can know what to look for if they stumble on one.

#20 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:42 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363830124.968174.jpg
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Yes there was progress. Got the seat and seat post replaced and added a Tractor Supply cushion to the seat. I also redid the homemade  battery box (hey, it still works great). We have the clamp off the right front axle and an undersize bolt in the anti-spin hole in hopes of the front adjustable axle freeing up with driving around. So far it is still stuck.

Howard, you said you used a disk plow growing up, was it a mid mount like the one I bought for the Farmall Cub, or was yours pull behind?  I notice you are also in NC, which is where I bought the plow, so is the NC soil what you were working with the plow? I am very curious as to learn as much as I can about using these disk plows because I do like the simplicity of design in this belly mount option.

Oh, and good idea Ryan, I will get a pic of the clevis uploaded later this week,

• Moosetales said thank you

#22 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Oh, almost forgot, I put a new fuel sediment bowl on it since the old original bowl was leaking around the shut off valve so badly that the gas no longer stayed in the tank... and with current gas prices we cant have that !

• MH81 said thank you

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 09:32 PM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1363830124.968174.jpg

Looks great Casey.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#24 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 09:48 PM

Looks great Casey.

It is starting to look pretty nice again with a little overdue work being performed on it. Kinda one of those things you mess with on and off for joy rides but never realize how much it is really rusting, but afraid to take it apart to get paint on it because it works lol. There is a new grille on order for the Cub to replace the original that is rusty and mangled some from years of use.

#25 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hey Casey, 

here is a link to a couple of pictures I posted on the site.

http://gardentractor...e-4#entry211410

Doesn't show the plow very well.  I think  we may have moved up to a 4 disk plow with that tractor, but I believe what is in the picture is a 3 disk.  In my opinion, the disk plow EXCELLED at plowing virgin or new ground.  Because of the action of the disc, as opposed to the way a moldboard works, the plow could easily ride up over and back down when encountering obstacles. such as rocks and roots and stumps.  That was important where I grew up because we only had about 10-15 acres of clear land that was an old cattle holding area.  As the years went by, Dad had more and more land cleared, felling trees, having the root balls dug out and then plowing.  I don't know whether the moldboard plow is self-sharpening, but the discs on the plow were.  Many times you would lurch from hitting a root, only to see the disc rotate into view with a chunk of mostly cleanly severed root nearly as big as your arm hanging on the edge of the disc. 

• Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#26 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Pretty awesome story there Howard, and sounds like quite the adventure growing up. Thanks for sharing that with us.

#27 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 04:55 PM

And for those asking about the special chain grabbing clevis used for the disk plow, here is a picture.<br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363989268.756280.jpg

#28 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 05:16 PM

Casey, I don't know if it would work through the range of motion or not, but they sell a chain grabbing hook with a pin arrangement that might be used to take the place of that.

prod_186750_1_Product-Views_thumb.jpg

#29 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Howard, I had thought about that and was going to try to go that route if I hadn't stumbled across the OEM clevis when I went to pick up the plow. Lucky for me he had a Cub graveyard and I had at least 12 Cubs to look at to find the clevis, and well, I found it. :D

I do not believe those chain hooks have the range of motion needed when pinned to the rockshaft hole though. One could mess with a few setups though if they did not have the OEM clevis. There is plenty of room to use a regular 1/2" clevis, a ring, and a grab hook and not hurt range of motion. Only thing different would be how low on the lift chain you are hooked to, which would not change the operation of the plow one bit.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, March 22, 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#30 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Casey, that looks really nice.  Can't wait for the action video.  

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you