• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 08:12 AM

Anyone have a junk or parts TJD engine around they'd like to sell the distributor out of ? While installing new points in mine tonight, the tab on the plate that holds the points in place broke. It had a slight bend in it and when I tried to twist it straight so the points lined up correctly, it broke rite off.

Prestolite Distributor IGW 4412 8 A 

I'm going to email Tim Stine in PA and hopefully he has the part I need. I'd hate to have to buy a complete new distributor. Forklift is out of commission. : (

Edited by NUTNDUN, February 26, 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#2 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Pictures of said distributor

Attached Thumbnails

• image-4267274005.jpg
  • image-2274911648.jpg
  • image-2321205358.jpg

#3 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 10:33 AM

Broken part.

Attached Thumbnails

• image-480234238.jpg
  • image-359755330.jpg
  • image-1592388909.jpg

#4 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,320 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 10:34 AM

Does that have a Fairbanks Mag Ken,,, I found a link for a dealer over here in Tyngsboro Mass, I'll see if i can find it again...

#5 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,320 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 10:35 AM

Ok, just read the part on the prestolite distributor, but he might have those parts to....

#6 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 01:30 PM

<p>Ok, just read the part on the prestolite distributor, but he might have those parts to....</p>

Thanks for looking, the only thing I've found is complete new distributors. ($190)
Last option for me. I only paid 300 for the forklift.
If the part can't be found, I hope to be able to fab something up.

Again thanks for looking.

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 11:43 PM

Since you have the broken piece, it should be easy to braze or silver-solder it back together ??? 

#8 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:10 AM

<p>Since you have the broken piece, it should be easy to braze or silver-solder it back together ??? </p>

That's an option, but I'm not sure if it would work. The tolerances for the 6-40 threads would be too loose I believe.

#9 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 07:09 PM

take it to a local welding shop and have it TIG welded, this will lend strength to the piece and have him fill the hole in and you just have to drill it out and retap it to the correct size . of course this is assuming you don't have the ability to do this yourself . the tjd we have with a distributor is in to good a shape to part and it's the only one of four we have that does not have a mag and you may consider finding a mag online to use and replace the dist all together they seem to be more reliable when timed right, one of ours can be rope started at twenty degrees on the mag with no power on the buzz rig at all , the magneto does not require any input power for startup or run so with this said i will look through a box of parts and see if there is a points mount plate with the stuff , it all came in one deal on ebay i got a couple years ago ad said box of tjd parts and there was a wide selection of odd parts and some i don't think are tjd parts but will look and see. just my thoughts . :thumbs:

• NJKen said thank you

#10 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:33 AM

<p>take it to a local welding shop and have it TIG welded, this will lend strength to the piece and have him fill the hole in and you just have to drill it out and retap it to the correct size . of course this is assuming you don't have the ability to do this yourself . the tjd we have with a distributor is in to good a shape to part and it's the only one of four we have that does not have a mag and you may consider finding a mag online to use and replace the dist all together they seem to be more reliable when timed right, one of ours can be rope started at twenty degrees on the mag with no power on the buzz rig at all , the magneto does not require any input power for startup or run so with this said i will look through a box of parts and see if there is a points mount plate with the stuff , it all came in one deal on ebay i got a couple years ago ad said box of tjd parts and there was a wide selection of odd parts and some i don't think are tjd parts but will look and see. just my thoughts . :thumbs:</p>

Looks like fixing it is fast becoming my only affordable option. Tim Stine (the Wisconsin guy in pa) replied back to me this am and he don't have it either. But he does have a new pointless electronic distributor for $180. I'm not putting that much $$ into this unless I absolutely have to.
I ordered a 6-40 tap and will have it welded like you suggested.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 12:03 PM

Ken,

I think welding it with a TIG would be the way to go. Just be careful tapping it because it will be hard and possibly break the tap. Especially with a tap that small.

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 12:28 PM

Ken, make a new tab for the broken one, have it welded to the base of the broken one after it gets cut off. That will give you the proper location. I think this would be your best and least expensive fix for this.

#13 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 04:36 PM

if you use a mild steel rod and heat the part and cool it slowly this will reduce the hardness of the weld , but replacing the whole tab may be a better choice

#14 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:04 AM

This thread can be removed, part was welded drilled and tapped. Put everything back together and it's working great.

Now for the carb rebuild. Hope that goes smoothly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted, distributor tjd