DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 08:11 PM

I found this Video on YouTube and thought some might find it interesting.

They took a Diesel powered Kubota and converted it to a Lithium Powered Electric tractor.

• daytime dave, Mr Electrak, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Cool tractor conversion.  Super quite.  One think that struck a cord with me was the note that said "3-4hrs run time" & "8hrs to recharge".  That's about what I'm getting on my Allis HB112:  2 - 3 hours of maintenance for every hour of seat time.

• Alc, tractorgarden, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 09:13 PM

Looks like there might have been room for the batteries under the hood, at least for most of them.  It would look much better if most were placed under the hood, and any remaining placed in a small box back there on the ROPs.  Then at least you'd have a good field of vision behind.

• daytime dave, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and CleanPowerElectric have said thanks

#4 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 12:13 AM

Neat stuff, looks like they used some nice  cells and  a MAC motor to move the thing. I sure like LiPO, running some in my bicycle currently ( pun intended)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC04025.JPG

• Alc and CleanPowerElectric have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 06:48 AM

A very well done conversion. The batteries up that high doesn't seem like a good idea to me either. It will raise the centre of gravity significantly having that much weight up high like that. You can sort of see that as the tractor goes over rough terrain. It seems to wobble a bit side to side. There may not have been any choice. I think the area in the hood over top of the motor would have been filled with the control electronics. The ROPs area may have been the only spot to put them that would not interfere with attachments. 

• CleanPowerElectric said thank you

#6 CleanPowerElectric OFFLINE  

CleanPowerElectric
  • Member No: 24175
  • 13 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 12:03 PM

A very well done conversion. The batteries up that high doesn't seem like a good idea to me either. It will raise the centre of gravity significantly having that much weight up high like that. You can sort of see that as the tractor goes over rough terrain. It seems to wobble a bit side to side. There may not have been any choice. I think the area in the hood over top of the motor would have been filled with the control electronics. The ROPs area may have been the only spot to put them that would not interfere with attachments. 

You are right, the ROPS was the only sensible place for us to put the pack for a variety of reasons. It is a compromise to put the weight up that high, but at only 250#( a full cab would come close to that as well) it is within safe limits.

With each conversion I learn more as a designer. There are also new advances in pack configuration now that will allow us to place them right down low in the chassis in the future.

Thank you all for your compliments on the conversion. It was a lot of fun to do. The owner is a really happy guy.

• daytime dave, JDBrian, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 12:30 PM

CPE, are there any video's of it doing heavy work?  I know it is quite capable, but would like to see it in "hard work" action.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 05:08 PM

You are right, the ROPS was the only sensible place for us to put the pack for a variety of reasons. It is a compromise to put the weight up that high, but at only 250#( a full cab would come close to that as well) it is within safe limits.

With each conversion I learn more as a designer. There are also new advances in pack configuration now that will allow us to place them right down low in the chassis in the future.

Thank you all for your compliments on the conversion. It was a lot of fun to do. The owner is a really happy guy.

I know from working on a lot of JD small tractors that it is very difficult to fit anything on or under the tractor without interfering with some attachment. Every hole in the frame, every strangely routed hydraulic line or linkage is that way for a reason. I'm sure the BX is similar. Recently I was at a Kubota dealer and looked under a B series tractor, a 2620 I think. The underneath was much better organized than the JD I have and there seemed to be a lot more open space. The B series is a bit larger and heavier than a BX and also has a 3 speed transaxle. I think it may also make a good candidate for a conversion.

If the tires were loaded and maybe some wheel weight added the BX would be much more stable with the high mounted weight. 

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Great job CleanPowerElectric :thumbs: .  I missed when you joined, so welcome.  I'm sure you will have some more interesting posts.  I like that Kubota.  Please post some hard working material that Daniel wants to see.  I'd like to see it too.

Thanks for posting this Doug.

Edited by daytime dave, February 26, 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#10 CleanPowerElectric OFFLINE  

CleanPowerElectric
  • 13 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Daniel and Doug for you compliments.

We are in Vancouver and the Kubota is in California so I can't be sure when I will have the next opportunity to film it in action. Perhaps later this year ( it is a very nice place to visit ).

FYI regarding torque and hp, it is equal and even slightly stronger than when it had the diesel in it. Hard work is only limited to the engineering of the hydraulic equipment. This is one of the greatest benefits to using electric power. It is so simple, and yet so powerful and reliable.

Battery energy density (range per charge) is the last hurdle in the development of the technology. There are significant changes coming in the coming years that will increase it to the point where it will compete with gasoline. Garden tractors are the perfect model for going electric as they are used in a limited physical area, and therefore near a recharge source.

• olcowhand, Mr Electrak and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#11 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 03:04 PM

Very cool conversion!! 

I had one wonder though. Why not convert a gear drive rather than a hydrostatic!!?? The electric motor should give you the same variable control the hydrostatic does, without the redundancy of driving the power through the hydrostatic unit.

And the gear drive would be 20% more efficient!!

Just wondering.  :beerchug:

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Very cool conversion!! 

I had one wonder though. Why not convert a gear drive rather than a hydrostatic!!?? The electric motor should give you the same variable control the hydrostatic does, without the redundancy of driving the power through the hydrostatic unit.

And the gear drive would be 20% more efficient!!

Just wondering.  :beerchug:

When not moving, the tractor hydraulics would be dead.  Only alternative would be a separate smaller motor running continuously powering hydraulic functions.

#13 CleanPowerElectric OFFLINE  

CleanPowerElectric
  • 13 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:37 PM

When not moving, the tractor hydraulics would be dead.  Only alternative would be a separate smaller motor running continuously powering hydraulic functions.

When we converted this Pasquali 997 to electric, one motor was on a speed control for the drivetrain/PTO, and another on constant rpm for the hydraulics. It does save some energy to convert a gear drive, however it is not as convenient to operate as a hydrostatic model - especially when using the front end loader. Speed of operation is an important factor in energy savings as well.

IMG_0154.jpg

• sacsr and marlboro180 have said thanks