• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 12:59 PM

Does anyone have any P.N. for the ball stud on the steering linkage? These screw into the spindles.

If I can't find the studs I'll opt for a ball joint assembly for both ends. Just need to know the thread sizes

and lengths. I figure after 35 years there has to be some wear. I might as well replace everything while I have the tractor completly torn apart.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 03:14 PM

I think this is  what your looking for ?  The darker picture is on 1968 Jim Dandy the brighter one is on a seventies PK . On both of those there is some adjustment where the cotter pin holds the cup on maybe yours are different or worn too much ?  Not sure where you would have to go for factory replacement ones .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0132.JPG
  • DSCN0133.JPG

• pharmer said thank you

#3 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 03:43 PM

Yes that's it. I want to replace the ball stud that screws into the spindle. I'm sure someone here must have done it sometime. I haven't pulled mine apart yet to check, but I'd they are worn I want to find a source. I guess it's called "planning ahead"

#4 icpik OFFLINE  

icpik

• Member No: 8205
  • 21 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Mission should have the part.  http://powerkingtractor.com/

Jerry Frank may have used parts.  http://powerkingtractorbarn.com/

Don Hayes

• Alc and pharmer have said thanks

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 06:43 PM

I looked up the part number, the 1975 manual has it listed as "KNUCKLE, tie rod" part number "03-6703" and ".50-20 Threads." That manual is also in the manuals section.
  • pharmer said thank you

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Don't think you will find the old ones with pins and adjustment anymore. Sometimes the balls are more worn one way than the other and if not too bad can turn them to have better side to the center of tractor and then adjust the spring and cap tighter. OR, just go buy new style ends and make a new rod to update. Those are common ends that don't adjust now. McMaster-Carr has some on sight with diff styles. Easy to use site. Size is common, just pick right male and female ends. Recoomend at least 1/2" rod OR get bolts to weld on the end of 3/8" pipe and have beefier rod. I did that to mine with loader. Assemble new ends to bolts and only cut the pipe to length after trying it on the tractor. Weld the heads to the pipe. One can be welded to assist in trying them out, other wait till measured. Make sure you get bolts with enough threads to make adjustments. I put my joints halfway on the bolt threads to take dimensions. My local ACe store has those joints or local GT places should have,, maybe a good farm store? Expect to pay $15 to $20 each.

• pharmer said thank you

#7 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Yeah. Looking forward to some decent (no snow-no rain- 40 +degrees) this weekend . I'm going to start taking the front axle off and see what needs replacing. We have a McMaster Carr account at my work so I will probably look into getting replacement ends through there. I know they carry the bushings for the spindles also.

#8 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Pulled the front axle off today. I will be replacing both ends with a one piece type w/ grease fittings. The spindle bushings will be replaced also, along withe the needle bearings for the pivot pin. Everything is going to shot peaned to strip the paint. All new wheel bearings too. Do it right. Do it once.

The engine block is at the machine shop getting bored/honed so hopefully I can get that back together in the next few weeks.

Edited by pharmer, March 03, 2013 - 01:53 PM.