sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:23 PM

One thing about it.....you will probably either like it or hate it......I think it will appeal to alot of people who would like something multipurpose but never thought they could get it. I think it could be a huge winner for Lowes......this is an easy sale at home....honey it mows, kids can ride it like a 4 wheeler, and when the storm comes.....we have a back up generator. I think for light duty, they owner can get its value....as a farm boy on the farm, mowing and riding....probably not.

But it is exciting.....and maybe a game changer in the lawnmower utility industry. It makes us look outside our comfort zone.......that is not all bad!

What I am seeing in my part of the lawn and garden industry is "what have you got new" I hear that at every show and every stop I make......wow....if you are the Lowes mower salesman.....he has got at the minmum.....a conversation piece unlike any other.......at the best....the guys next utility mower/4wheeler/generator..

I did watch the movie....the front end (when he came off the road) was stiffer than what I thought a 4wheeler would have been....the left side stayed pretty rigid.....so they may have given it enough flex to handle some rough terrain....but not enough to ruin a good mowing job.

I dont think it is for the guy tilling a garden or doing heavy work, but I think it will fit a niche.......but fun to see how it does. Thanks for posting it!

Note- probably not something I would buy......but as they improve it and if it holds up.....I might consider a more conservative looking one......heck every time ford makes a major body change for the most part I hated it.....then it grew on me.....then I owned one.....

Edited by sacsr, February 22, 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#17 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:43 PM

$2999. at Lowe's today.

#18 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,736 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:55 PM

I am really wondering how much replacement parts will be. It won't last forever and if there is only one of them what are the parts going to cost? How much for a new blade drive motor? And the biggie - how much will it cost to replace the batteries?

#19 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:04 PM

If it is durable, I see a huge market for it.  If I wasn't as tight as a vise money wise for brand new stuff, I would find that thing pretty darned handy with a set of mud tires & 4WD.  The onboard generator is the big draw for versatility.  For someone with a baby farm, it would be a great item to have and would be a much used tool.  Durability will be the key.  For me, I'll just stick with my old iron, but it is a very neat machine.

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 09:49 PM

I think it is a great idea. I as well as others are curious to see how it holds up in real world use. I am not crazy about the styling though but as far as being useful it would definitely come in handy. Will definitely keep an eye out for more news and any experiences from others with one.

#21 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 09:51 PM

On another note. I would love to see a fuel sipping diesel option where the engine is only running at a max speed of maybe 1,500 rpm and geared to run the generator at full speed. Four wheel drive would be cool too but till all that would be said and done it would be pretty darn expensive.

#22 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for posting. I think it has it's place in the market. For now I will mow old school!

#23 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 12:58 AM

Maybe one of you math majors could tell me what blade tip speed is needed to mow @ 17 MPH?:D

I forsee a rapid and total product retraction for redesign modifications as the hefty personal injury lawsuits rain down on the company from "mis-use" and shock hazards just as soon as the government safety freaks find out they slipped this one by 'em.  Today it's just not practical to allow new subdivision-ites the means to jump over 4 regular garden tractors with something like this.  I can't wait for the Youtube stunt mowing videos, like 2 wheel 45º hedge trimming, fescue burnouts, cat and dog chasing, Kentucky blue 4 wheel drifting, bunny hopping and squashing moles and wheelie/nose wheelie contests... "Show us yer blades, Dude!"  Naw, not in this day and age... can't be... I just won't look. :D

• Alc, HowardsMF155 and sacsr have said thanks

#24 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:31 AM

I'll just keep my mouth shut.

#25 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 05:18 AM

Maybe one of you math majors could tell me what blade tip speed is needed to mow @ 17 MPH? ...

I doubt that you could do it with the current blades.  Now, if you went to something like the 4-blade system that Jacobsen had with their 2 stroke mowers, it might be possible.

If I did the engineering on it, there would be a limit on the speed when the PTO is engaged.

• Alc said thank you

#26 welderman85 ONLINE  

welderman85
  • Member No: 28421
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 07:13 AM

i think its pretty cool and would work great at my property but i dont have the extra 3 grand to try it out. i think it will sell well it dose tons of things and isnt priced to hi compared to a new cub or a higher end lawn mower. if i was in the market i would prob get one,but for now i will stick to my gts that are easy to work on and have stood the test of time.

#27 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 07:23 AM

That is a great idea for a portable generator.  Maybe not so great as a mower and ATV, I too would be curious to see how well built they are and how they hold up in the "Real World".  

Thanks for sharing!

#28 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 08:45 AM

Maybe one of you math majors could tell me what blade tip speed is needed to mow @ 17 MPH? :D

It said somewhere that mowing speed was limited to "I think" it was 5 or 6mph.

#29 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Happy to see something like this can be brought to market, but I think I wouldn't have tried to be so "Swiss Army Knife" about it.  ATV and portable generator, sure.  I thought the concept of hybrid was, most of your load was at a low level, but occasionally you want a burst of more power, say for passing another car, going up a hill, etc.  Hard to see how mowing a lawn is mostly low load with occasional bursts of high load.  But several members here have electric tractors, and they seem to work well, so if it can be done with just batteries, then why not with a battery charger on board.  I'll have to bookmark that page and see if people review it. 

• sacsr said thank you

#30 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 09:13 AM

The wave of the future? Kind of neat looking, city kids will love it! What no on
board IPod charger or Wi-Fi?  

I also wonder about the durability issue. We all know how well wiring holds up
after a few years of use/abuse.

The advertisement avoided showing the unit doing any heavy mowing, like 4-6 inch
wet heavy grass. I know some idiot, (probably me) will try to mow a path through
the woods. :D