Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:31 PM

Pat, did you have the tape drive for the C64?

I may, I may have a couple of 1541, 1571, and maybe 1581 drive as well, but I doubt if there any good.

#32 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Well got my hard drive today and after 4 hours to get it to install ( had to figure out how Windows Update thing worked  first )  it's working except the back-up NITBackup Now EZ  wasn't so easy lol got a Windows error message saying there's a problem , can't remember exactly  but something like  'too bad buddy " lol   oh well  at least I can put files in manually   , by the way I didn't understand any of your post after Pat's 64 , I remember my fil bringing one home , I don't ever think he got it to even turn on lol , Al

#33 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Ok the 1541 was a single sided 5 1/4 floppy drive, meaning you had to use a disk nocther and turn it over to use, it was made for the C64. The 1571 was a double sided 5 1/4 drive made primarily for the Commodore C128. And the 1581 was a 3 1/2 floppy drive. All 3 of these worked with either the C64 or the C128.

#34 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Well got my hard drive today and after 4 hours to get it to install ( had to figure out how Windows Update thing worked first ) it's working except the back-up NITBackup Now EZ wasn't so easy lol got a Windows error message saying there's a problem , can't remember exactly but something like 'too bad buddy " lol oh well at least I can put files in manually , by the way I didn't understand any of your post after Pat's 64 , I remember my fil bringing one home , I don't ever think he got it to even turn on lol , Al

Well on my iMac I just plug it in erase the drive and turn on the Time Machine option. Had it up and running in 5 minutes.

Edited by Amigatec, February 22, 2013 - 08:56 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#35 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 07:54 AM

Well on my iMac I just plug it in erase the drive and turn on the Time Machine option. Had it up and running in 5 minutes.

Here's  the one I bought , could I copy the files / programs that are on it to a disc in case Windows ever gets it to work the back-up  program that's with  it and delete it clean to use  it like  I would a flash drive ?

http://www.staples.c...rnalize=certona

#36 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'm not sure, the one I bought was formatted for Windows. I did copy the files onto my HD, because it did have a Mac version of the software, but Mac has Time Machine as part of the OS and it just works better. I bought a WD My Book. I have tried the WD software and it just doesn't work well.

Windows may have something built in by now.
  • Alc said thank you

#37 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 08:08 AM

One guy at work back up two computers to one drive. He said he uses a program called todo-backup. I know nothing about it, but said there is a free version, it's easy to use and install. Said it works as well for one as three computers.
  • Alc said thank you

#38 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 08:54 AM

The new Mac OS Mountain Lion is supposed to allow you to run multible backup drives. I don't know my Mac is to old to run it.