Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:00 AM

Found out the hard way why they tell you all the time to back-up your hard drive , well I never did and a few months ago lost some of the files and some pictures on my top :wallbanging:   I have to stop at Staples today and I'm going to get one .  I'll still put files and pictures on DVDs but maybe with the external they'll be easier for me to  keep and find there  ?

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:23 AM

Yes I have 2 on mine, the first is the backup drive and the other is extra storage. I need to get a much bigger backup drive so I can backup the extra drive as well.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:30 AM

I'm getting a 1TB size one . Do you think that will be be enough to back-up and keep files on ?

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:31 AM

I try to store all my pictures on GTT. :D

• MH81 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:37 AM

I try to store all my pictures on GTT. :D

Will , it was a good thing that I had some pictures on GTT because I couldn't find the DVD or CD that had the ones of the  Tri-Trac   for last months "Tractor of the Month"

#6 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:37 AM

I have a "Click Free" backup (automatic) & an external hard drive just to store pictures.  ~~  Lowell

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:45 AM

Lowell is "Click Free" a online program or one to use to store them on the external drive ?  Excuse me for being so dumb on computer  things lol

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:46 AM

I'm getting a 1TB size one . Do you think that will be be enough to back-up and keep files on ?

I plan to the biggest one I can get. My iMac has a 320 gig drive and my extra drive is 1 tb, when the extra drive is full I want to add another to it, and I'm going to need more storage.
  • Alc said thank you

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:47 AM

Has anyone ever looked into those online backup services?

I haven't, but it seems that having an external hard drive sitting

beside the original, isn't really a back up.

• Alc said thank you

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:36 AM

Al a 1 TB should be plenty for a back up or for extra storage for that matter.  Lowell is doing it right, what you want to do is basically store your data (files, pic's etc) in at least 2 seperate places.  So what I recommend is store your data on your local drive (the internal drive) or an external that is being used for additional storage.  Then have another drive as your back up.  There are some good free backup programs like FBackup and I believe some external drive come with a backup program.  Set the backup program to run when you are not busy on the computer, like in the early morning hours.  This way if for some reason you loose the local hard drive you can restore your files by simply restoring from your backup.  Windows 7 and I assume 8 as well has an internal backup the only problem is it backs up the whole system which creates a bigger backup file.

The internet backup services offer the additional security of off site backup which means that if something should happen that destroy's your computer and any external drives then your data is still safe because it is stored in another location.  I know several people that use one of these services and like them.  It just depends on how important your data is to you verses the cost.  When I use to work in IT one of us would bring home the backup tapes from the night before every night.  That way if something should happen that destroyed the computer room we could restore the data once the servers were restored.

Also an added benefit with using a backup program if you like to swap out OS's like I do is you can backup all your files change the OS's then do a restore and you are back in business in short order.  

Hope this helps.

• Alc and IamSherwood have said thanks

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thanks Bill ,,would think of DVDs for storing the files and pictures be good enough besides using the external one ?  The only problem would be doing it from time to time

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Yes a DVD will do just fine, the main drawback to a DVD is you can only use it one time and also they can get scratched.  Also there is the storage of them but that is minimal.  Have you considered a flash drive?  They are not very expensive and you can reuse it over and over again just by simply doing a copy and paste.  Just an FYI you can also use a backup program to backup your data to either the DVD or flash drive to make it easier.  Depending on how much data you have to backup you may have to feed it DVD's.

The big thing, Al is to have your data in two or more separate places in case the main device decides to take a dump you haven't lost everything.  How often you back up is something you will have to decide as how important the data is to you and how often does it change, ie do you modify your document daily, upload pictures to your computer often etc.

• Alc said thank you

#13 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 918 Thanks
  • 1,209 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 10:06 AM

I use a western digital passport 300gb it connects to usb port and it works for me. Its fast and portable.

• Alc said thank you

#14 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 10:08 AM

I've used CD's in the past and now store stuff all over on my many Zip drives for easy retrieval and portability..  Works great and you don't have to reformat things to hook them up..  

• Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 10:15 AM

My laptop started acting strangely so the other day I down loaded 13XX photos onto an 8 GB. thumb drive for safe keeping. I haven't tried loading onto this computer so I hope it worked. I'll admit to being lazy and not doing these things until it is needed. Probably not a good thing.

• Alc said thank you