• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 02:14 AM

First let me say that I've been lurking here for some time now, a recent project finally made me sign up.

This will be my first post here.

About a week ago a buddy of mine decided to clean house, he's moving south and dumping anything too hard to move long distance.
Lucky for me that means his nearly completely disassembled John Deere 112 is now mine.

The state of its condition now is 5 milk crates, two beer boxes and a trans, pair of tires, dash tower and frame that rolls like a hand truck. The motor is a Kohler 10hp. The tractor ran fine when it was torn down, it just looked bad. He was still cutting his grass with it, at least until a spring broke underneath. At that point he decided to give it new life, he ordered the new springs, new deck spindles, new belts, four new tires, and a gallon of green and gallon of yellow paint. He also hunted down a new hood online plus a complete decal package. The transaxle was also ordered as a remanufactured unit, it too looks brand new. There's a stack of receipts for this thing.

Everything should be here, time will tell.

My goal is to make it moveable ASAP, it needs to get on four wheels with all the underneath work done first. The motor ran, but hasn't run in 10 years, or more. He tore this appart about 20 years ago.

The serial number if that helps is 154777M, with a 2316 transaxle, and a K241 engine. He told me its a 1969 model.

I also saw a few of these with a front end loader on them, to me having a loader would make it worth having, I don't cut grass, and it likely won't ever have a deck under it again. I'd also like to see some sort of rear hitch for garden work.

I also have bits and pieces of other machines here, other models, which I think he planned to use those parts to do various upgrades with. He's got a new front axle with sealed bearings, its marked 212, its painted, has two new rims and tires with it, and its all wrapped up. All I'll need to buy is a battery and gas the way it looks.

First off, will the 212 axle fit the 112?

Second, what loader am I looking for or will anything fit?

He told me there's one for sale somewhere here but its from a 140, will that work?

Once i get all the bits together I'll snap a few pics. The thing is pretty dusty now, the wheels, fender pan, hood, and engine side cover are painted and look new, the frame and engine are not yet painted and the deck is in primer spots over faded yellow paint right now.

The engine is matte black, should it be black or green?

• MH81, motobreeder, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 05:33 AM

Welcome to the forum. I'll let the JD guys answer your questions.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:25 AM

Welcome to GTTalk.That's a seriously nice find. With all those new parts it's going to be in excellent shape when you get it back together. I'm not sure if the axle will fit. I'm more of a 300 series fan myself and have never had a 200 or 100 series JD. You could check JDParts.com for the part numbers and see if they are the same. If you do a model search you can bring up the parts diagrams for the 112 and one of the 200 series tractors and compare the configuration and the part no.s You may just have to see if it will fit. A new front axle/wheel assembly would be worth $$ so if it won't fit you could sell it and find the correct parts. Check with our site sponsors if you need any parts and can't find them locally.

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:30 AM

A loader from a 140 will not work on a 112 without extensive modification.

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:36 AM

Good deal.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:39 AM

Welcome oldiron , glad to have you here .  Always a special project when they come in many baskets pails bucket ect  .  Good luck and post some pictures as you progress .Heck we like ones of the parts lol

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:23 AM

Welcome to GTT. Enjoy the site. If you can't find the correct loader, you may be able to swap for a tractor that has a loader on it. Good Luck, Rick

#8 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:53 AM

:welcome:  to gttalk. nice find

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 09:32 AM

:welcometogttalk:  That is a really nice find.  It will be interesting to see the finished product.

#10 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 10:00 AM

welcome.png

Glad you found us. I believe the axle does interchange (112 to 212 etc.)  The 140 and 300's do not with the 112.

Edited by anderson classic tractors, February 22, 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#11 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 12:12 PM

:welcometogttalk:  Welcome and Good luck with putting the puzzle back together.

#12 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 02:39 PM

The main difference I see in the 212 axle is that the wheels have sealed wheel bearings vs. greasable cone type bearings.

I have both axles, but the rims for the 112 are rusted around the valve stem. I may just weld up the hole, grind them flush and drill new valve stem holes.

I have two new tires and tubes for the front here too.

What is different about the loader? They all seem to look the same other than the mounts?
The loader I'm looking at has no mounts, its just the loader, so any mounts would have to be made.

#13 damoose OFFLINE  

damoose

• Member No: 7888
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:34 PM

The front axle AM35167 is the same,tie rods M83644  200 series serial # 155001- same,  drag link M46160 same. The only thing that doesn't seem to match is the front spindles.I do believe that the transaxle is the same.

#14 Kevin Vasich OFFLINE  

Kevin Vasich

• Member No: 7211
  • 87 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 02:19 PM

:welcome: Oldiron

Damoose the transaxle from a 200, 110 and 112 are the same.

#15 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:29 PM

Good luck with the project and welcome to the site.

I posted about my 200 that I picked up in a similar state - boxes from multiple tractors.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jd 112