• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 10:45 PM

Ok all. Here is the official thread on the "new to me" cub 129D. Thats what i will call her for right now until i get this all figured out.
The tractor ran awesome when i got there and has tons of power and is smooth running up in the rpm. At idle it shakes like crazy. Which i can only assume is normal for a 2 cyl diesel like this.
The motor is a brand new kubota crate motor model z600. 2 cyl roughly 15hp.
It was installed nicely using rubber bushing motor mounts. He used a radiator out of a liquid cooled gt but didnt say what model. The radiator has an electric fan that is thermostaticly controlled.
It has a freshly rebuilt hydro trans that seems very smooth and doesnt whine. It seems to need an adjustment to make the center "neutral" position work properly.
It has a brand new set of multi rib front tires that still have the nubs on them. And a fresh set of multi trac 23x10.5x12 tires on the back.
The gauges on the dash are a set of 3 from o'reilly that show volts, coolant temp, and oil pressure.
It has an aftermarket seat and steering wheel.
The single stage snow blower has a rebuilt gear drive and a fresh coat of paint.
The loader, i was told is a johnson brand unit. It runs off of a pump on the left side (sitting on tractor) off of the electric clutch on the engine. It is power lift only. It has a lever and cable setup to dump the bucket. The frame brackets arent in the best shape as it looks like he faught it to get it off the tractor.
The 50" mower deck has a fresh coat of paint, all new spindles, a freshly sharpened set of blades, and new belts on it and the mule drive.
It has the 3 point hitch on the back with a big chunk of steel 8" solid round by about 6" long for a counter weight for the blower. And i also got a weight box for the rear too he said is for the loader and weighs probably 40lbs itself and looks to hold 3-5gal buckets.
I got a nice 3 ring binder with a complete service manual and operator manual inside also included.
All for $2,000. I almost felt bad asking him if the price was neg from the $2100 he was asking and had no prob handing over the 2k he said was what he would like for it.

Overall it is a sweet setup and in my mind worth way more than i paid for it all.
The quality of the build isnt what i would call great. The paint is scratched up and some of the sheet metal is a little cutup to make everything fit.
It does work and function as far as i can tell and from what he said. But it is def not a show quality build. It has sone bugs that i will work out before i decide what to do with it. Honestly in the back of my mind i would rather rob the driveline out of it and put it all into the extra 82 series frame i have and find a way to trade off the sheetmetal and frame from this one for 82 series tins.

If it was an absolutly stunning resto mod piece i wouldnt touch it. But in its current condition if i am going to put very much money or parts into it i would rather build the tractor i want, a 682D.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361504706.509148.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361504718.616381.jpg
  • Texas Deere and Horse, Cvans, bgkid2966 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 10:46 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361504749.858494.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361504762.532433.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361504772.202527.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361504781.400157.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361504791.469058.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361504803.081410.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361504814.031810.jpg
  • Cvans and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#3 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Sorry i got long winded but i had alot of info to share...
The loader and blower are for sale if anyone wants to make an offer i will post them up in the classified section when i get a chance to.
I wont be able to get much done with it until next week. I have a crazy busy weekend and wont have time till im back in town mon-tues

#4 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:05 PM

Nice machine man. I wouldn't blame you one bit for putting the drivetrain in the 682. If you were close I'd be making an offer tonight on the loader but are just too far away!

I forgot to mention... there is no way that guy didn't loose his rear end in this deal!!! the engine and loader probably cost what you paid.

Edited by twostep, February 21, 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:31 PM

Thts a heck of a deal!! In my honest opinion the tractor looks in great shape trust me ive seen some worse ones in my times. I know a few things were cut up to make it fit but you have to remember that these werent built to have a diesel implanted in them, heck i dont even thing anybody back in the 70's ever thought about using a diesel in a garden tractor. The loader looks to be in fantastic shape as well and so does the blower. Id love to have a setup like that or atleast a deal! Id have plenty of uses for it :smilewink: good luck on your sale

#6 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:36 PM

You did great there. That is an amazing find. Probably the only one of its kind. That is definitely a Johnson loader. It kind of resembles my model 14 Johnson. It looks like the diesel was put in very well. No cuts in the frame and just a small one in the hood that I can see.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:50 PM

Very nice build, with some work, it would look great as a 129. :thumbs: Just my opinion.

#8 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Wow, that looks like a great machine and a heck of a deal to boot!!

Thanks for sharing the swrite up and pictures!

Geno

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,502 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 12:08 AM

It's kind of funny that you came up with this as I have a 129 that is my tilling tractor. The engine is getting noisy and I have a 13hp. Yanmar that needs a home. This might just be the inspiration I need to get that done. Thanks for the great photos,

#10 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 09:01 AM

Im trying to figure out what model loader this is. All the pics i find online have a much bigger bucket and hyd dump. Does anybody have an idea of what model it is?

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,502 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 11:02 AM

I would guess one of the earliest models. Mine has the hydraulic bucket. 

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 10:03 PM

You most definately got a SWEET deal there!  If I had the money and you were closer I too would be all over that loader.  That is a good looking tractor and blower.  I told you the other day that I knew a guy that did that to a 149.  I found a picture this evening of his machine.  He's had this done for two years now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 149D.jpg

#13 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Well started digging into the tractor tonight and opened up a can of worms. :(

The battery was dead so i figured an easy fix. Swap out the battery and be done with it. No go. I had to remove the whole dash to get the battery out and in doing so i found a rats nest of wires with less than par connections. So after a quick brainstorm I cut and removed all the wiring. I will be rewiring the whole tractor in the next couple weeks and installing that new battery.
In my searching i found a 420 ca battery at tractor supply seems to be the highest output.
Also i found the nice polaris driveshaft he used crapped out a u-joint cap. So i will have to replace both of them too.

Edited by cumminsmannow, February 25, 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#14 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:12 PM

All in all though, you did pretty good in my opinion.  I hope the rewiring goes smoothly.  That is a nice looking unit.

#15 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 09:59 AM

I don't know that I've ever seen wiring on a GT that please me. Figure though, that engine and rad is a grand... so you're in good shape.