13 replies to this topic

#1 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:24 PM

i found a super nice HT23 with a J14, bartley hoe, power steeering and cruse control.. he said he re packed all the cylinders and axle seals 2 years ago hes asking 4,200. im thing about buying it what do you guys think?

ht23 with loader.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,181 Thanks
  • 5,207 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:44 PM

i found a super nice HT23 with a J14, bartley hoe, power steeering and cruse control.. he said he re packed all the cylinders and axle seals 2 years ago hes asking 4,200. im thing about buying it what do you guys think?

attachicon.gifht23 with loader.jpg

Weres the backhoe?

Its twice what I got mine for.............

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:43 AM

It seems high but, depends on what you are planning to use it for too. I found that a full size FORD 4500 was cheaper and more useful around my place than a compact TLB for twice the price. My soil is extremely bony so the bigger the better. Good Luck, Rick 

#4 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 10:03 AM

i want to mount my trencher i just bought on it since it had a loader it would work perfect. and the back hoe is not on the tractor. he says its a bartly but it came off a yammar but with a little modifacation it will go on the bolens.... i have a friend thats a alsome fabracator so he can make it fit like it was from the factory

#5 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 12:59 PM

i want to mount my trencher i just bought on it since it had a loader it would work perfect. and the back hoe is not on the tractor. he says its a bartly but it came off a yammar but with a little modifacation it will go on the bolens.... i have a friend that's a awesome fabricator so he can make it fit like it was from the factory

Just get that J12 and get him to make it fit on the ht20d less then $50 bucks in steel maybe 1-2 hours at 30-40 an hour a loader on you 20d for under $150 i know some people don't like to cut stuff up but it you don't plan to sell it separate then just make it work

if i could find Any loader (judging that its sized accordingly) i would make it fit on my tractor building the frame of a loader 200-300 total in metal but the hydraulics are where all the cost goes to (right around 700-1000 in hydraulic lines cylinders and pumps then valves)

#6 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 03:30 PM

That price is high, the way I'd look at that deal is that a machine with a loader and hoe has been used pretty hard, most people don't buy those attachments just to look at them. If find when it comes to smaller tractors like these your usually better off buying a pristine tractor and then adding the loader and other attachments. A loader and hoe are hard on the machine in general. I'd expect that machine to be well used, maybe used up. I'd figure the loader is worth maybe $1500, the hoe about half of that if its a proper match for the machine, if its larger, its worthless for that machine as it'll just put it in an early grave.

I've seen a lot of Large frame models with loaders with busted up front ends too, look very close at the underside of that thing.

Maybe offer the value of the two attachments you want and leave it at that, if you get it, fine, if not, keep looking. $4200 is a lot of cash for an older, small machine. I wouldn't consider that  a very good deal, if you turned around and tried to sell it or part it out, what will it sell for?

Other than attachments, I've never had much luck parting out Bolens tractors, there's just not enough of them around to demand any serious parts prices.

#7 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,181 Thanks
  • 5,207 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 05:09 PM

That price is high, the way I'd look at that deal is that a machine with a loader and hoe has been used pretty hard, most people don't buy those attachments just to look at them. If find when it comes to smaller tractors like these your usually better off buying a pristine tractor and then adding the loader and other attachments. A loader and hoe are hard on the machine in general. I'd expect that machine to be well used, maybe used up. I'd figure the loader is worth maybe $1500, the hoe about half of that if its a proper match for the machine, if its larger, its worthless for that machine as it'll just put it in an early grave.

I've seen a lot of Large frame models with loaders with busted up front ends too, look very close at the underside of that thing.

Maybe offer the value of the two attachments you want and leave it at that, if you get it, fine, if not, keep looking. $4200 is a lot of cash for an older, small machine. I wouldn't consider that  a very good deal, if you turned around and tried to sell it or part it out, what will it sell for?

Other than attachments, I've never had much luck parting out Bolens tractors, there's just not enough of them around to demand any serious parts prices.

Yes you are very right the loader and backhoe tractor I got was at half the price this one is and it was about junk two.

We plan on restoring the loader and backhoe and putting them on the restored HT20 when we get it done.

#8 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:30 PM

well the back hoe dont fit the tractor anyway its to big so thats out.. idk what im going to do

#9 makeitfit OFFLINE  

makeitfit
  • Member No: 23907
  • 12 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:43 PM

A backhoe on any small tractor, whether it fits or not is almost worthless unless your digging in sand. I used a small Kubota with a hoe and it wouldn't even dig a trench in my back yard. Every root larger than an inch stopped it dead in its tracks.

A small machine just don't have the weight to stand its ground while digging, and thats if the hoe has enough strength to even apply any force.

Two big attachments hanging off both ends of a small machine can't be good. Especially one as heavy and long as a back hoe.

At least a loader is light when its not in use.

What happened with the one in Vineland? I figured you would have already been mounting that one up by now.

It looked like a pretty solid loader to me. I liked the big bucket it came with, most have a narrow bucket with limited space.

If I were you, I'd leave one machine set up with a loader, another with a dozer blade and the trencher I see you just got, and maybe another just with a tiller. A dozer/snow blade would be faster than a bucket when it came to filling in a trench, sort of like plowing snow at an angle vs. having to dump/push dirt back with a front bucket.

For me, a machine with a loader up front, 3pt in the rear would be perfect, and maybe another set up with a tiller and snow blade. The tractor with the tiller and snow blade would get the least use, being pretty much season, the other would be my main machine. All I need is the cash to go buy what I want. Things are tight around here until tax money comes in.

#10 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:16 PM

I think you made a wise choice not to buy it for that price. 

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:22 PM

If you have real work to do, look to a bigger machine. I built my house. I needed and bought: an HD6G trackloader, a 4500 TLB and a Ford 2000 with a FEL and 3ph. For clearing big trees, stumps and boulders the 6G was 4 times as fast as the TLB. The TLB was good for trenching and moving screaned soil. The 2000 with an 8' York Rake helped where a small machine was needed and smoothed out soil. They all paid for themselves so I could afford to keep them.

I have three Large Frame Bolens and would be very hesitant to put a FEL on any of them because of what I read on the Bolens group over the last six years. As said above, the front axles have a problem. I have seen many farm tractors with FELs for under $3000 in the last year. If you want to take a chance on a "needs work", there was a 60s TLB for $1500. There is risk but there can also be big reward. They all tempt me but I've got too much already.  Good Luck, Rick

#12 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 09:53 PM

i have farm tractors 1 with a loader im a farmer but i just like to play with my bolens and collect the stuff and use em when i have small jobs to do. im looking for a case 580 back hoe for the farm and we have a D5 and a cat 215 hoe but i still like my toys

Edited by 1967bolens collector, February 22, 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#13 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,345 Thanks
  • 1,755 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 11:57 PM

I have to disagree with a couple post,the backhoes are real hard to find and are worth as much or more than the loaders,as for performance,they do what they were made for,one that I had was used by a contractor for installing small gas lines and water lines,worked very well, if you think yor going to dig out big tree roots and stumps then ya,its not going to do it,I do agree there hard on the tractor,Just my thoughts on the matter

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, February 22, 2013 - 11:58 PM.

#14 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 12:19 AM

Its basically all about having the right tool for the job. Its just not often that a tiny little back hoe is the right tool. The average home owner don't have much use for one, and when he does, its rarely a light job.
To run pipes, I'd prefer a trencher, to dig out stumps, a small track hoe or even a 580 Case would do the trick.
If your planting shrubs, then maybe a small hoe is ok but its an expensive means to plant shrubs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens ht23