• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 connor wagner OFFLINE  

connor wagner
  • Member No: 28718
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hi I have a wheel horse I got from my buddy that I would like to tun into a puller. It is an 11hp has first second third and reverse no high or low belt driven vertical shaft. It is completley stock right now and before I even start I want to knowjust about everything I need to know. Keep in mind I don't have a huge budget and I'm not trying to be competitive just forr fun with my buddies. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, connor

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Connor, glad you took the time to say "Hi"

Hopefully one of the WH or Pulling guys stop by soon to answer your questions.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Welcome to GTTalk   conner !  I can't help you at all  but are some pulling guys here that I'm sure will be able  to .Al

#4 connor wagner OFFLINE  

connor wagner
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Welcome to the forum! I too don't know anything about pulling.....someone will come along that does. But at some point I would like to try it out! Good luck!

#6 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Not a good choice,even for just "recreational" pulling with your buddies.  The peereless tranny is fine for average light duty use or modified for speed but will never hold up under pulling stress.    The open differential also is not desired in any pulling situation.  The mounts for the transmission will probably rip out the first time the tires get a good bite.  Do yourself a huge favor and pick any brand garden tractor and you'll outpull all your buddies lawn mowers without doing any modification other than adding weight.   Sell or trade the lawn mower off for a GT is my suggestion! 

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#7 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Absolutly i agree 100% with jusjeepn. Sounds like its a b series wheel horse i have b-82 and the rearend kicks out with the slightest nudge. You would want to use a horizontal shaft engine linked with a better rearend so look around for a REAL garden tractor not a lawn tractor. Im glad theres more people looking into the pulling scene. Sears has tons of good old tractors that are still competive and wheel horse also has some especillay the older models. The c series is the one id look into if you want the wheel horse. Cubs are everywhere and have alot of potential if setup correctly and if you dump a few dollars into them but since you just want to play for fun just look around for something im sure youll find what you want. Good luck!

• jusjeepn said thank you

#8 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:44 PM

:welcometogttalk:   I second Diesel Cub. If you want the best puller get a shaft-driven Cub Cadet. But like you said your not pulling to be competitive,so if you are just looking to have some fun I would go with what you have. IMHO

#9 connor wagner OFFLINE  

connor wagner
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Alright thanks guys! I just found a sears ss12 for sale already set up for pulling. He says he thinks it has fuel issuses which I'm hoping is something I can fix. He said it runs just rough. What are those like?

#10 connor wagner OFFLINE  

connor wagner
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 12:36 PM

This is what it looks like

Edited by connor wagner, February 22, 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#11 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 05:09 PM

if its just for pulling with friends, and ur doin it in the backyard, then the tractor will work. Like everyone said the trans are weak.  But if all ur friends have the same set up u will be fine. just dont thing it will last to long.  I pulled my Lt11/36 b4 and it has the same trans.  just dont go pulling more then 600 pounds

• Dieselcubmike said thank you