• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 coop OFFLINE  

coop

• Member No: 669
  • 24 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted September 25, 2010 - 03:19 PM

Went and looked at an onan 24 hp dual fuel(propane/gas). forgot to look for model number. Looks like crankshaft pulley will bolt on and motor mount will also bolt on. Motor is about four inches wider than the 16 hp. Looking to put it in my 1655, Question: has any one had any experience with that type of engine swap? Will it be fairly straight forward or am I in for a lot of grief.
The engine is out a man lift and is fitted with a big ass hydraulic pump and has about 90 hrs on it. all for the tidy sum of $1100. Is it worth it?

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 25, 2010 - 05:13 PM

The Onan Performer 24 won't between the hood sides,it is just a touch too wide.due to to the cooling shrouds.Now if you modify the hood or the shrouds ever so slightly,it would fit.But don't remove the shrouds because they are needed for proper cooling.

Edited by mjodrey, September 25, 2010 - 05:20 PM.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 25, 2010 - 08:24 PM

I can't say whether or not it's worth it, but I recon that new, it'd run a little more than that. Just FYI, if you run it on LP, you'll lose about 10% of the power that you'd have with gas.

#4 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 25, 2010 - 09:55 PM

Ninety hours on an Onan is nothing, especially if they ran it on propane. At $1100.00, it's a bargain because if you were rebuilding an Onan Performer 20, you'd spend that much in parts and machine shop work. If you can tweak the metal to shoehorn this engine in, then you'll have one strong running motor for many years to come. If you could figure out a way to carry a 20 or 40 lb propane tank to power the tractor, you'd be ahead of the game. Engines on propane often have double the life of engines on gasoline. It's true that some engines do have a bit less HP on propane than on gasoline but so what? Whether you have 24 hp or 21.5 hp, you won't notice the difference.

Propane is a superior fuel but the tanks are the major drawback.

#5 coop OFFLINE  

coop

• Member No: 669
  • 24 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted September 27, 2010 - 04:20 PM

Picked up the onan 240927101149a.jpg she's clean as a whistle,the pump is a three stage john and barne. I'll have to do some research on it....looks as though i could remove the center section and run my loader off it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0927101149c.jpg
  • 0927101150a.jpg
  • 0927101149b.jpg

#6 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted September 27, 2010 - 04:57 PM

My guess is that you have way more pump than you could possibly use judging by the size of the inlet hose. That pump may be proprietary to the maker of the man-lift. Presumably, there are three outlet ports on the side you don't show. You couldn't buy that pump for $1100.00. If you can find a spec number, you could probably call Barnes and find out the RPM, GPM and pressure of each section. That looks like some sort of pressure relief on the front of the pump.

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 27, 2010 - 05:39 PM

Yes, that pump, even split up is huge for a FEL. I would find all the info you can on the pump, then maybe find a buyer. On my FEL I'm running 2 1/2" lift cylinders and twin 2" tilt cylinders and powering with a Case 446 hydraulic pump. My pump is small compared to this you have, but has PLENTY flow & pressure. This one would be severe over-kill and likely create problems.