• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• Member No: 4764
  • 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:12 PM

I have been out using my new to me 2 stage snowblower and LGT 145, the issue that I am having is when approaching some snow drifts, the snowblower wants to try to ride up the drift more. than cutting into the drifts, and sometimes it will cut right into the drift.

Anyone out there that has used a 2 stage (even a single stage) and might have some insight into this issue, would be greatly appreciated.

I have also posted this on one of the other forums to get a few good answers.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:16 PM

Not having a blower as yet but from what all I have read lets see if this applies. Is there some way to lock the blower in the down position, sounds like you are using it in a float position.

dick

#3 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 01:49 PM

I had the same problem.. I cut the 2 upper arms and welded in a strap iron to add an inch to the length to make the blower bite into the snow better.  These blowers don't have a way to exert any down pressure when blowing . 

I'm sure there are other idea's but this has worked well for me.

• firstgen89sho said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 04:28 PM

You could just be going too fast, which will force too much snow into the housing and cause the blower to ride up. What are you using for skid shoes on the blower. If they are too large, (have too much surface area) then they could ride up on the snow. You could try adding weight or using smaller skid shoes. Is the blower lowering properly and floating . If the lift is binding or is not able to float because it's not adjusted properly then it will tend to ride up. So much depends on the type of snow you are dealing with. It may act up today and then be fine for the next 10 storms. 

#5 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 05:30 PM

When it rides up, I'm normally going very slow, as for skid shoes, they are the factory shoes.

I will try to upload some pics of the snowblower assembly tonight. mabye there is something that someone else can see that I'm missing.

• MH81 said thank you

#6 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 05:51 PM

I must say I have never had that problem unless there is a hard packed ice bank under the snow.

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Cutting edge should "pull" the blower down, If it's still there and shoes aren't set to high.

Edited by John@Reliable, February 21, 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#8 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 01:21 PM

Here are some pictures of the blower that I just mounted on my closed side 165, it is an open side blower, hence the close proximity of the spring towers to the grille.

ford64.jpg

ford65.jpg

ford66.jpg

ford67.jpg

ford68.jpg

ford69.jpg

#9 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 03:08 PM

Another question, is the augers, both sides seem to be bent where it feeds the impeller, I'm guessing that they should be straight.?

#10 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 05:12 PM

The auger tips look OK there supposed to have a bit of a bend on them.The thing that puzzles me is why is the blower tipped forward.The sides should be level ,is something not adjusted properly.Whats happening is that with the side's sitting the way they are its going to make the blower want to lift up especially if the snow is hard.Your going to have to try to adjust  the blower somehow by shortening the upper braces that mount to the tractor[maybe a hole in a different spot.I can tell you for a fact that the blower needs to be tilted back at the top either to the level postion or tilted back a bit past level.The way it is now its going to ride up on heavy packed drifts.The cutting edge has to act more like a scoop to keep the blower digging in that's also why the top of your blower has to go back closer to the tractor in order for the cutting edge to work better and scoop in the snow properly .Larry

Edited by massey driver, February 22, 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#11 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 09:53 AM

Looks like the side links are either too long or are in the wrong spot on the frame mount points. Also look like they may be upside down?
This is one of the reasons why the blowers are slightly different between generations.

#12 fxdb96 OFFLINE  

fxdb96
  • Member No: 56857
  • 118 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 04, 2014 - 07:48 PM

i had to dig up this old thread...  I think firstgen89sho ran in to a similar situation that i did.... There are two variations of the brackets on this blower with different length lift arm and upper brackets...

i would guess he is using the shorter lift arm with the longer upper arms...

Attached Thumbnails

• ford vs jacobsen.jpg

#13 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 357 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted November 04, 2014 - 08:55 PM

I will also post this picture from 1975 LGT 145 that has an extra rear mounting bar.

SnowBlower Mount.jpg

Charlie