Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:49 PM

3 Boards down !! Not to be confused with "3 Doors Down"
I knew it!!!!!!! You've got the entire collection of Coldplay CD's, don't ya?

I'm sure this oak will swell when and if it gets soaked, and with the bigger gap (Scott's suggestion). It will be easy to grab the blowgun and blow the debris out.
Moisture is going to get in there just like the first time, might as well give it a spot to evaporate out of. And room to clean it out.

4 more boards to go, but one will need to be ripped down, that one will be be placed in the center for looks. Yes, I'm getting anal with this project.

EDIT: Comment linking 'anal' and Coldplay reference removed due to being insensitive and a gross violation of Site posting rules.

Hey! Looking good there, Ken! Got that Bolens fixed yet?

How about the other 6 of them???????????????

:bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

• NJKen and Blind Ref have said thanks

#77 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Ken, Boy what a floor, I hope nobody tries to steal it to sell. :poke:

It really looks good and should last a long time, Way to Go ! :thumbs:

• NJKen said thank you

#78 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 09:26 PM

3 Boards down !! Not to be confused with "3 Doors Down"
I knew it!!!!!!! You've got the entire collection of Coldplay CD's, don't ya?

I'm sure this oak will swell when and if it gets soaked, and with the bigger gap (Scott's suggestion). It will be easy to grab the blowgun and blow the debris out.
Moisture is going to get in there just like the first time, might as well give it a spot to evaporate out of. And room to clean it out.

4 more boards to go, but one will need to be ripped down, that one will be be placed in the center for looks. Yes, I'm getting anal with this project.
EDIT: Comment linking 'anal' and Coldplay reference removed due to being insensitive and a gross violation of Site posting rules.

Hey! Looking good there, Ken! Got that Bolens fixed yet?

How about the other 6 of them???????????????

:bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:
Bolens is fixed, but only with the fuel tank less then 1/2. I'm going to get the electric one.

#79 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 09:32 PM

<p>Ken, Boy what a floor, I hope nobody tries to steal it to sell. :poke:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It really looks good and should last a long time, Way to Go ! :thumbs:</p>

Thanks !! It's just about done. I'm worried about someone stealing the 77 yes 77 stainless steel bolts !!

Getting this done, and getting it done better then it left the factory is a real good feeling.

I've got a few places to hit with undercoat, some more painting, stainless steel clad pressure treated wood 20" high sides, reinstall the wiring harness, install LED lights. And I'm sure a few other odds and ends.

When I'm done, it might be too pretty to use.

Attached Thumbnails

• image-3522556570.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#80 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Man is that wood gonna be slick when it's wet!  I'd have left it rough sawed myself, but then I'm funny about sliding & busting my butt.  But pretty it WILL be!

#81 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 09:56 PM

Man is that wood gonna be slick when it's wet!  I'd have left it rough sawed myself, but then I'm funny about sliding & busting my butt.  But pretty it WILL be!

Think Ken did it just for "Lilysdad" return. Next on the CL with be some old golf shoes with steel cleats, :thumbs: :bigrofl:

• NJKen said thank you

#82 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 10:34 PM

The trailer looks great Ken! Gonna be a shame to get it dirty or dare I say scratch it! :thumbs:

• NJKen said thank you

#83 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 10:41 PM

Man is that wood gonna be slick when it's wet! I'd have left it rough sawed myself, but then I'm funny about sliding & busting my butt. But pretty it WILL be!

Agreed, I was going to not plane both sides, but the planer kept hanging up, so I had to do both sides. The little feed rollers only worked with it smooth. It was a son of a gun the first few passes, I had to push and pull and it still struggled. If it was a real planer, it would not have been an issue.
Once it gets used a dozen or so times, it will be ok I hope. If not, I'll ruff it up somehow.

#84 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 12:26 AM

Put a finish on the wood, and sprinkle sand over it while it's still wet. There's your traction right there.

You're welcome!

BTW, is that a 12 5/8" Ryobi? I got spare blades for it, if so.

#85 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 05:43 AM

You should be able to get a real fine sand at 'Lowes' in the paint dept. I get that for painting wheel chair ramps, gives just enough grit to keep it from getting slick.

• Alc said thank you

#86 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Put a finish on the wood, and sprinkle sand over it while it's still wet. There's your traction right there.

You're welcome!

BTW, is that a 12 5/8" Ryobi? I got spare blades for it, if so.

I didn't thank you yet, I'm going with the drain oil/ fuel oil mix for a preservative. So I'm not sure that will work. The planer ? I'll check when I go out to the garage later, but I believe it's a 10" planer.

Kenny, I've used that paint additive to make surfaces non skid, in the late 80's early 90's I was in the commercial pool maintenance business, we used it on the steps of every concrete pool that we sandblasted and painted.
  • KennyP said thank you

#87 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:31 AM

10" Scott

And I just noticed that this one was made in Japan not China. Back when Ryobi stuff was a little better. I bought it back when I was remodeling my first house. I made a lot of my own moldings, and used it to plane lots of rough cut red oak that I got from a company I used to work for that used red oak for pallet repairs. Some nice stuff for pallet repair work.

I believe it was bought when Ryobi first entered the US market, it wasn't cheap, but they had a promotion going and I got the jig saw for free with it. That's still going strong too.

They still sell SOME parts for the 10" planer, and eBay has the blades if I need them.
Thanks for the offer anyway.

Attached Thumbnails

• image-3594348607.jpg
  • image-2456494078.jpg

#88 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 12:04 AM

Ok Ladies & Gents !! Today's work on the project, which is kinda lame. My daughters school play was rite in the middle of the day, and then we took her out to dinner for doing such a great job. Happiest 4th grader in NJ she was today.

I put all the new LED lights in and hooked up the brakes, reinstalled the wiring harness. Man are those LEDs pretty !! Lol

New breakaway switch, new 3/8" safety chain hooks and I relocated the license plate, because it was in a VERY bad location. (See picture) the new location has a car tag for now, I'm going to DMV for a new trailer tag Monday since the old one is mangled. I have to renew the tag anyway, it's an extra $5.00 for a replacement tag.

I also installed a stainless steel trim piece against the c channel as pictured. It took a long time, but once the drill press was set up, it went much quicker.

Beeswax is a must for screwing into this oak, even with the proper size pilot hole for the #12 SS screws it's tough.

Scott, the last pic is of the drill bit I was telling you about last week, I've always called them "boat bits" cause that's what I was told they were back in the days when I installed kitchens. They are super pointy, and drill where you start them, no sliding around. They are tapered in case you can't see that with my pic. I love and only use they when working with hardwood.

And Scott, why do you keep PMing me and saying "You sure gotta pretty trailer there, boy" lol

Any questions, comments anyone ?

Don't forget to set your clocks ahead tonight, except for you guys in Arizona. Unless they started doing it.

Attached Thumbnails

• image-2901515577.jpg
  • image-2175337929.jpg
  • image-2752565825.jpg
  • image-806222491.jpg
  • image-3741997243.jpg
  • image-2838261950.jpg
  • image-2392370686.jpg

#89 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 07:51 AM

Ok Ladies & Gents !! Today's work on the project, which is kinda lame. My daughters school play was rite in the middle of the day, and then we took her out to dinner for doing such a great job. Happiest 4th grader in NJ she was today.

I have a comment, I'm glad to hear the play was a great success and I'm sorry about texting you right in the middle of it! Tell your daughter congratulations on a job well done for me!

By the way the trailer is really looking good all the little details are really adding up.

#90 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:01 AM

I have a comment, I'm glad to hear the play was a great success and I'm sorry about texting you right in the middle of it! Tell your daughter congratulations on a job well done for me!

By the way the trailer is really looking good all the little details are really adding up.
Not a biggie Bryan. My phone was on silent. Here is two pics from last year. Good "before shots" These boards were from the factory, and never sealed or anything. They were held down with 5/16" thread forming trailer deck screws in 3 places per board. They twisted, bowed and water & dirt got under & between them. Since the edges weren't square, it made it worse. In the 2nd pic you can see where the axel support actually started ripping thur the 10 gauge steel deck pan.

Attached Thumbnails

• image-591839871.jpg
  • image-1576608411.jpg

• KennyP said thank you