Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Awesome Collection For Sale! Portland Oregon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Steve Johnson, famous garden tractor collector and guru of the west coast, is having a little problem with his local guvment and has to get rid of anything thats not in a shed or building.  So I know he is building some more storage area, but needs to get rid of some goodies, and by the looks of it, there are some goodies to be had right there!  I can see some nice units without even walking around.  Hope someone on here can help him out. 

http://portland.crai...3629806762.html

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Lot of parts wish it were closer.  Too bad he is forced to sell.  images bb.jpg

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:02 PM

Boy, that's a lot full for sure.  I hope he gets done and comes out well.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 01:06 PM

Wow what a collection!  Nearly worth buying a semi and going cross country!

No offense meant, (begin complaint) but what right does a government have to tell someone that you can't keep what you want on your own property?  It shouldn't be bothering the neighbors: there's a tree screen as well as a high board fence.  (End of complaint.)

My yard doesn't have that much in it... yet...

Ben W.

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 01:12 PM

You gotta love a guy who says "I HAVE TO GET RID OF MY TRACTORS" and "Also looking for old and unusual garden tractors" in the same ad!

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 01:13 PM

Government. 'Nuff said.

#7 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 01:39 PM

I remember some years ago there was a guy that had a junkyard for years without any problems because he was out in the country in an unpopulated area. Then the housing developments and yuppies started moving out there and didn't like seeing the junk. The town/county started pestering him trying to drive him out of business. His argument was that he was there first and if the new homeowners didn't want to look at his junk than they shouldn't have built their houses next to it. The town/county ended up telling him he had to put up a tall fence completely around his junkyard or they would shut him down. They thought that a fence this size would be to expensive for a small businessman and he would be forced to give up. Their mistake was that they didn't specify what the fence had to be made of. He ended up building the fence by stacking junk cars end to end three high! I remember reading about it in the newspaper, the town, county and neighbors were pissed. I never did hear what the final outcome was.   

#8 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 02:07 PM

I remember some years ago there was a guy that had a junkyard for years without any problems because he was out in the country in an unpopulated area. Then the housing developments and yuppies started moving out there and didn't like seeing the junk. The town/county started pestering him trying to drive him out of business. His argument was that he was there first and if the new homeowners didn't want to look at his junk than they shouldn't have built their houses next to it. The town/county ended up telling him he had to put up a tall fence completely around his junkyard or they would shut him down. They thought that a fence this size would be to expensive for a small businessman and he would be forced to give up. Their mistake was that they didn't specify what the fence had to be made of. He ended up building the fence by stacking junk cars end to end three high! I remember reading about it in the newspaper, the town, county and neighbors were pissed. I never did hear what the final outcome was.   

Don't mean to hijack but he's a pic of the car fence, turns out it was 4 high.

The Wall of Cars AutoWall500.jpg

Gene Crandall’s one-quarter mile stack of cars to comply with town fence order.

Edited by broken2, February 21, 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 03:08 PM

Steve is the one who helped me with getting my Bean Cutler ship here.

Stuff like this should not happen to nice people like him.

#10 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 04:44 PM

stuff like this shouldn't happen to any land owner... what a joke.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 04:46 PM

Those tractors are just his overflow by the sounds of it. For me it is also sad to see them there rusting away. 

#12 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 04:48 PM

We used to have a little drag strip here in town, off of one of the side roads. A church was erected and demanded that the strip be shut down and it was.

Edited by crittersf1, February 21, 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#13 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 05:09 PM

Google mustang junk yard and you'll find a muscle car grave yard down the road from me. State never knew about it until these photos were out and are now on him to remove it all. It's not right, a man should be entitled to his junk. 

IN RUST WE TRUST!

#14 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 05:21 PM

Up home the City put in an Industrial Park, well maybe 20 years later people started building fancy houses right next to the Park. A few years later a company wanted to build a Grain Elevator in the Park. Well these home owners took the Builders to court to stop it, complaining it would bring in rats. The Judge decided that since the Park was there before and properly zoned for Business the home owners had no standing. Case dismissed.