• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 chrisk OFFLINE  

chrisk
  • Member No: 27923
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:17 AM

has anyone replaced the transmission fan yet?  curious what i am in for?

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:38 AM

We need to know what tractor. Pics will help too.

#3 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:23 PM

If you have a service manual I would suggest following the instructions.

Dick

#4 chrisk OFFLINE  

chrisk
  • Member No: 27923
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:36 PM

sorry - its a GT 17

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,577 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 09:19 PM

I had to replace the fan blade on my S-16 several years ago. I think that mine had a drive shaft upgrade at some point, may be what the GT series used. If I remember right, I loosened the front connection, just the shaft lock. Then I had enough play to remove the rear coupler and was able to lift the shaft far enough to install the new fan. 

#6 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 09:26 AM

I am curios about this as well.  I picked up a GT16 the other day and noticed that the blades on the fan were messed up so enough so that the fan needs replaced.

Where do you get the new fan at ?

And, do they just slip onto the driveshaft or somehow held in place on the driveshaft with something?

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,577 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Where do you get the new fan at ?

And, do they just slip onto the driveshaft or somehow held in place on the driveshaft with something?

I think I had gotten mine at a local farm supply store. There is a spring that holds it against a clip. If something would get lodged into the fan, it would slip. 

#8 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 01:36 AM

I took mine apart on my S-16H last summer, And like shorty said, once you loose the shaft (a few bolts on the flange) you can take the bolts off the fan and it comes right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 09:00 AM

I guess now I just need to find a source for the new fan blade.

#10 Markski OFFLINE  

Markski
  • Member No: 62299
  • 21 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 05:40 PM

Doesn't Ariens have them anymore? I've changed them in the past but it's been a while. I don't recall it being a terrible job.

#11 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 02:08 PM

I did finally get this done, the part was found at Jacks.

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 06:02 AM

I just ordered one 2 days ago from Jacks small engines it was like $18. so anyone that handles Ariens parts should be able to get it as well. IDK if it can be had besides thru Ariens.   but I will say this; Judging by prices listed on some Briggs parts and Kohler parts that I have recently gotten via "other" online sources, if you can find it elsewhere it will probably be cheaper than thru Jacks.

the good thing is that he did have it. 

I looked for it at the other sources (that I use, anyhow) online and they, at least, did not carry Ariens parts. of 3 places (total) that I checked, Jacks was the only place that had Ariens parts.  As many tractors (of all makes) that run via hydrostatic drive, I would not think  that Ariens was the only manufacturer that used that particular fan  but I could be wrong.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:02 AM

I just ordered one 2 days ago from Jacks small engines it was like $18. so anyone that handles Ariens parts should be able to get it as well. IDK if it can be had besides thru Ariens.   but I will say this; Judging by prices listed on some Briggs parts and Kohler parts that I have recently gotten via "other" online sources, if you can find it elsewhere it will probably be cheaper than thru Jacks.

the good thing is that he did have it. 

I looked for it at the other sources (that I use, anyhow) online and they, at least, did not carry Ariens parts. of 3 places (total) that I checked, Jacks was the only place that had Ariens parts.  As many tractors (of all makes) that run via hydrostatic drive, I would not think  that Ariens was the only manufacturer that used that particular fan  but I could be wrong.

Post some pics of that fan before it goes on, please! It may be of use to folks with other brands looking for these fans.

• shorty said thank you

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 06:22 PM

pix doubtful,  but I got the new fan in the mail today.... it is black, (one on it now is white/off white, I could care less about that) The hub itself where it rides on the shaft is thinner plastic than I thought it may be, has a molded in "collar" shaft hole ~5/8-3/4" collar is ~1-1/2" ID, 5 blades and is marked (molded into the center)  "THORGREN    VALPARAISO, IN"   Hey that's only an hour from here! though I have never heard of that company) It also says "7  CW"   within the hub. I don't have a tape handy but I'm guessing it is ~7" diameter and apparently meant to draw air when spun clockwise...

this info may help someone else find an alternate source, rather than having to pay the Ariens middleman...

Edited by dodge trucker, October 22, 2014 - 06:24 PM.

• shorty said thank you

#15 markoor OFFLINE  

markoor
  • Member No: 62674
  • 7 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 01:40 PM

I can post fan pics if someone needs them. I just took 2 of the three nylon spacers out of mine cuz it was making the drive shaft end hit my floor pan. Not really sure whey the original owner did that. I wonder if I even need the nylon washers in there or if I can bolt it up without. I'm assuming its just a vibration dampening thing.