• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 01:43 AM

Dang, if they had that cool stuff back when I was a Cub Scout I'd still be one!  Our "Den" was run by women...  we made paper flowers and had contests to see who could hold their breath the longest, that kind of stuff.  I got kicked out anyway...

• Nato77 said thank you

#17 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 06:41 AM

Is it me?  I dont see any pictures in the first post this morning.  Other pictures show and look pretty cool.

Did the derby thing with our son a year or two, seems like one of the cars is around here somewhere.

Dang, if they had that cool stuff back when I was a Cub Scout I'd still be one!  Our "Den" was run by women...  we made paper flowers and had contests to see who could hold their breath the longest, that kind of stuff.  I got kicked out anyway...

Let me guess Harold, was it for the usual reason concerning a ravenous appetite and sweets??

• Nato77 said thank you

#18 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted February 23, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Is it me?  I dont see any pictures in the first post this morning.  Other pictures show and look pretty cool.

Did the derby thing with our son a year or two, seems like one of the cars is around here somewhere.

Let me guess Harold, was it for the usual reason concerning a ravenous appetite and sweets??

I was surprised not to see the pics also. I'll see if I can get them back on here.

I'll have to upload the pics off the wifes I phone again. Can't find them saved anywhere in my attachments. Had  this happen one other time. Don't understand why they disappear.

Edited by Nato77, February 23, 2013 - 11:36 AM.

• Michiganmobileman said thank you

#19 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 01:02 AM

Why, yes.... yes it was!:D

• Michiganmobileman said thank you

#20 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 06:27 AM

Pics are back this AM.  Thanks!  This is one of the best ways to get some dad/son time in, usually one or the other of you will learn something.

• MAV and Nato77 have said thanks

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 01:33 PM

My kids did that for our Church Awanas group for a few years. few yrs was just do it, next was go for speed, then next was go for design award. I'll have to dig them out and take couple pics.

• Nato77 said thank you

#22 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 03:34 PM

This is the first year in 6 that my son Tyler isn't doing the derby. He joined a new troop and they don't do it.

#23 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 10:12 PM

This is the first year in 6 that my son Tyler isn't doing the derby. He joined a new troop and they don't do it.

Sorry to hear that.

The derby is one of the things that keeps him interested in it, along with the outside activities.

We got it all painted up today. He might put some stickers on it yet. Now for the wheels and axles this week.

IMG_08311.JPG

• Cvans and bowtiebutler956 have said thanks

#24 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 10:27 PM

I was in scouts, I started at the very beginning as a tiger cub and went up to a second year weblo. The pinewood derby was one of my favorites; between the derby, the spaceship race (forgot the real name) and the rain gutter ragata (blowing a boat down a rain gutter) I never won anything; although, I did have fun doing it.

#25 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 12:37 PM

Ok, so I finally snapped some pics. Didn't get the ones of my daughter's cars....I'm too scared to go into that bedroom without rope tied to my leg and someone to pull me out  :oh_shucks:   Anyway, our derby is through the Church Awanas group, we have one Sunday we have "pit party" where we help cut out and build kids cars, the next weekend is the "grand Prix". We offer 3 top places for speed, and 3 top places for design. This usually helps get all kids some type of award, rough when you have 9-10 kids in each class :boo_hoo: We also have an adult build, just for fun and braggin rights, usually top car for speed and one for design.

So here are some of the cars/trucks over the years.

Here is most of them together.

pinewood1.jpg

here is son's very first car when we were clueless, he wanted it to look like dad's old 79 camaro. :D

pinewood7.jpg

Next we went for speed award, the orange one was his and did win, the plain one was mine for adult speed...I missed the mark adn got second, oh well, it was fun

pinewood6.jpg

pinewood5.jpg

Son's two design cars, I love the one with his name cut out (drew) and it was actually fast. The truck had stacks behind cab, he won 1st for both.

The other is momma's skateboard, looked good, but slow as molasses, I think it barely crossed finished line.

pinewood3.jpg

pinewood2.jpg

pinewood4.jpg

And finally, my all time favorite. I built this for the Adult design....and still got beat by high school senior who built a golf cart that year, and it looked just like a golf cart too, it was pretty cool. He had built a tank 2 yrs earlier with movable turret.

pinewood8.jpg

pinewood9.jpg

• HowardsMF155, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#26 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 01:32 PM

Ok, so I finally snapped some pics. Didn't get the ones of my daughter's cars....I'm too scared to go into that bedroom without rope tied to my leg and someone to pull me out  :oh_shucks:   Anyway, our derby is through the Church Awanas group, we have one Sunday we have "pit party" where we help cut out and build kids cars, the next weekend is the "grand Prix". We offer 3 top places for speed, and 3 top places for design. This usually helps get all kids some type of award, rough when you have 9-10 kids in each class :boo_hoo: We also have an adult build, just for fun and braggin rights, usually top car for speed and one for design.

So here are some of the cars/trucks over the years.

Here is most of them together.

attachicon.gifpinewood1.jpg

here is son's very first car when we were clueless, he wanted it to look like dad's old 79 camaro. :D

attachicon.gifpinewood7.jpg

Next we went for speed award, the orange one was his and did win, the plain one was mine for adult speed...I missed the mark adn got second, oh well, it was fun

attachicon.gifpinewood6.jpg

attachicon.gifpinewood5.jpg

Son's two design cars, I love the one with his name cut out (drew) and it was actually fast. The truck had stacks behind cab, he won 1st for both.

The other is momma's skateboard, looked good, but slow as molasses, I think it barely crossed finished line.

attachicon.gifpinewood3.jpg

attachicon.gifpinewood2.jpg

attachicon.gifpinewood4.jpg

And finally, my all time favorite. I built this for the Adult design....and still got beat by high school senior who built a golf cart that year, and it looked just like a golf cart too, it was pretty cool. He had built a tank 2 yrs earlier with movable turret.

attachicon.gifpinewood8.jpg

attachicon.gifpinewood9.jpg

Those are some cool looking cars! :thumbs:  My favorite is the little semi. I bet you had a couple of hours in that one.

In our pack we're thinking about doing an open class. I'm kinda putting the derby together this year. The pack decided to spread the events ouy among the parents and I chose to do the derby. I've been rebuilding the track (its old and warped a little) and this year we're installing a timing system on it.  Trying to cut  down on the heats as last year it took almost 2 hours to run through the boys's 13 cars, which got to be kinda late for the kids. There's 15 scouts this year and hope to have the heats down to around an hour or so. Then what we're hoping is there's more time for the open class so the kids (both young and old :D ) to have a little fun. I think I might build one for playing around with and to see if I can beat the boy's car I'm helping him build.

• TAHOE said thank you

#27 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 01:53 PM

Yea, had just a "couple" hours in the Big Rig. You should see the underneath....the whole cab is drilled out hollow so I could make weight of 5 oz.

We normally have 6-9 kids per age group, usually 6 groups so anywhere from 35-60 kids. We can normally get the entire grand prix done in about 3 hours. We actually have this sheet they print out, depending on how many kids are in class, you pick 3 cars per run since our track has 3 lanes, and each kid gets to run 3 times. You score the paper then at end you just add up points according to how they ran and gives the places. If tie, then you do a 3 heat run off between the two. Pretty neat layout since each sheet is made out for the number of cars to run, we just put a number sticker on each car during weigh in.

We have just basic trip lights on a bar over finish line, different colored lights give us the places.

Edited by TAHOE, February 27, 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#28 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 03:14 PM

Make good use of all the time you can with your son . I lost most of my time with my son when he was young due a divorce. But we both enjoy the same things now even though he has his own family now. But he is making the best of it with his step son's for which I am very proud of him for.

larryd

• Nato77 and TAHOE have said thanks

#29 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Make good use of all the time you can with your son . I lost most of my time with my son when he was young due a divorce. But we both enjoy the same things now even though he has his own family now. But he is making the best of it with his step son's for which I am very proud of him for.

larryd

Yea, I agree. My son is 15 1/2 and I can already see time slipping away as he is out with friends and soon to be driving.

He is going to be learning electrical and wall framing with some drywall when we build his room in the basement soon and we are going to restore his '64 Sears 725 together.

#30 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 10:28 PM

We had our derby tonight and I have to say there was some pretty impressive cars. I'm sure glad that we added a timing system to the track. The cars were all VERY close in time. The boy did good and got first place in his den. In the open class my nephew got first overall (was a last minute decision to use the boy's car from last year as a entry). With all the talk about the derby my daughter wanted one, so I made one for her (she's only 4). She finished somewhere in the middle, but was the fastest girl car.

Edited by Nato77, March 15, 2013 - 10:29 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you