Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,638 Thanks
  • 1,331 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:39 PM

The boy is all excited to start building his car for Cub Scouts this year (he's not the only one :D ). Its kinda nice to do something with just your son. At almost 9 years old he's starting to have more of a interest in what I'm doing, which I'm appreciating very much.

So we went outside to the shed after supper to start working on it. Last years car had way to many hours in it. I did alot more than he did on it. So this year he's going to be doing most of the work to it. He made up his own design and helped cut the wood to get a rough form of the car.

IMG_07561.JPG IMG_07571.JPG

Then we spent the next 1/2 hour or so sanding to get it nice and smooth.

IMG_07591.JPG

The black and orange car is last years car. He did pretty good with it taking 1st place in the pack and 5th in the regional derby. In the regional there was only .004 of a second between 1st and 5th, talk about close.

So anyone else building or built a car with their son (or daughter) this year?

Edited by Nato77, February 23, 2013 - 10:11 PM.

• daytime dave, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:45 PM

My 12 yr old is building one for her Awana Church Group. I will help her again this year, but it will be her design. :thumbs:

Wish your son Good Luck this year from me !!

• sacsr, Nato77 and TAHOE have said thanks

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:59 PM

I remember those days.....it was just a few years ago and I was winning with my car! Great stuff, good to have some father -son time.

Picture down memory lane.....and yes that is me holding my derby car and trophy I won at Philmont Scout Ranch 400 years ago :D

SoapBoxDerbyWinner.jpg

Edited by sacsr, February 20, 2013 - 10:01 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, backwoods, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 10:23 PM

Nate your son will remember winning many years from now. I am glad to see it is still around today! Thanks for sharing!

Brian best of luck to you and your daughter too!

• Texas Deere and Horse and Nato77 have said thanks

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 11:37 PM

Nate your son will remember winning many years from now.

I am sure he will.  I still remember losing all those times.  We had an eight lane track that was always full.  I think second place is all I ever got.

Thanks for this post.  It brings back some memories.  Mostly good ones too!

• sacsr, boyscout862 and Nato77 have said thanks

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:15 AM

ahh yes. The best thing I ever did with cub scouts. I always looked forward to pinewood derby year. In fact I might have a few unopened boxes laying around. The good ol days gone by. Best of luck to you guys this years :thumbs:

#7 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,638 Thanks
  • 1,331 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:30 AM

When I was my boys age my dad and I built one for a church function. I don't remember it going down the track, but my dad said it never made it to the end, which disappionted him. So last year after the Cub Scouts did their race they let who ever wanted to race thier car race. With alittle reenginering to my car the boy and I raced each other and he didn't even have a car length on me :D . That made my dad smile. I just hope someday I can see the same with my son and grandson.

• Alc, sacsr, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#8 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 02:30 AM

I remember those days.....it was just a few years ago and I was winning with my car! Great stuff, good to have some father -son time.

Picture down memory lane.....and yes that is me holding my derby car and trophy I won at Philmont Scout Ranch 400 years ago :D

attachicon.gifSoapBoxDerbyWinner.jpg

Scott you ain't changed a bit.

• sacsr said thank you

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 03:50 AM

i remember those cars, won 1st place my first yr and a contested 2nd place the next one. I had the cars in a box in my closet for several yrs after, and the trophys on a shelf. My Dad and i built them out in his shop , and he set the axils and weighted them. I think my mom threw them out after i left for the army, and i dont really know where the trophys went to. That was 40 odd yrs ago.

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 05:12 AM

Good luck with your Pine Wood Derby car. I too remember the days...our group actually had a division for the dads cars....talk about competition!

There are so many "tricks" to making these cars fast......Hobby Lobby and other craft stores have an entire area for the Pine Wood cars.

• sacsr and Nato77 have said thanks

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 05:34 AM

i remember those cars, won 1st place my first yr and a contested 2nd place the next one. I had the cars in a box in my closet for several yrs after, and the trophys on a shelf. My Dad and i built them out in his shop , and he set the axils and weighted them. I think my mom threw them out after i left for the army, and i dont really know where the trophys went to. That was 40 odd yrs ago.

What is it with moms and throwing things out. My mom did the same thing 40 years ago when I left for the Army. My comic books and magazines and toys all went. Fortunately nobody wanted my 027 trains. I guess that she didn't think I was going to make it. Guys, don't let your wives do it to your sons.

The pinewood derby is a great time for fathers and sons to work together on a project. WARNING : Its usually pretty obvious when the dad has done the work. Let the boy do it. He will feel better about it. If he doesnt do it right and he doesn't win, he learns to listen. The life lessons are the important thing.

• Alc, sacsr and Nato77 have said thanks

#12 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 07:34 AM

i remember building them with my gragndpa in his wood shop i dont remember how i did at the race but i remember working with pa in the wood shop. then came the Co2 powered cars that were built when i was in 8th 9th 10th an 11th grade. it was a technology class in 8th grade in 9th-11th it was an aerospace class 1,2,3 the 3rd class was involved with the 2nd class its always fun making them and the Co2 powered cars as well

#13 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 04:15 PM

I remember those days. I wasn't in cub scouts but my boy was and has moved on up to boy scouts.  The pinewood derby is probably what kept him in scouts at the time. Now he really likes the camping and hiking outings. We always had a good time building the cars and racing them. Our troop always had an open to anyone class after the scouts was done and I always built a car for that and had alot of fun with it. I will try and post a couple pictures of our cars. 

1st year

Boy's Corey's blue racer.jpg

Dad's 60's cam.jpg

2nd year

Boy's corey's green racer.jpg

Dad's 70 cam.jpg

3rd year

Boy's is the one with flames 2008 Racers-2.jpg

Dad's the other one

4th and last year

Boy's yellow one  Pinewood Derby Cars.jpg

Dads the black one.

Like I said we had alot of fun with it and is something that we will never forget.

• sacsr, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#14 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 04:50 PM

The boy is all excited to start building his car for Cub Scouts this year (he's not the only one :D ). Its kinda nice to do something with just your son. At almost 9 years old he's starting to have more of a interest in what I'm doing, which I'm appreciating very much.

So we went outside to the shed after supper to start working on it. Last years car had way to many hours in it. I did alot more than he did on it. So this year he's going to be doing most of the work to it. He made up his own design and helped cut the wood to get a rough form of the car.

Then we spent the next 1/2 hour or so sanding to get it nice and smooth.

The black and orange car is last years car. He did pretty good with it taking 1st place in the pack and 5th in the regional derby. In the regional there was only .004 of a second between 1st and 5th, talk about close.

So anyone else building or built a car with their son (or daughter) this year?

Well this isn't quite the same Nate, but when that youngster grows and expands on that hobby, this can result. My son is now a veteran ASE mechanic who started this project in fall. Eng, tran OH. We will be test-driving early next week-Its great to see those kids carry -on---

Attached Thumbnails

• P2220144.JPG
  • P2220148.JPG
  • P2220145.JPG

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 05:20 PM

Our church would sponsor a derby race, which then fed into regional, state, and national levels.  I started with the oldest boy, then started the next boy when he was old enough.  One year the boys were in the same class and ended up taking 1st and 2nd place.  We always won the church, and usually lost at the regional level.  Last year the younger son combined his science project with his derby car.  We built a timer track and experimented with different tricks to get more speed out of the car.  Not only did he win the science fair, he also managed to win the regional and we went on to the state level for the first time.  Lost, but it was a nice trip for just the two of us.  Tried to stop at a Lamborghini dealership on the way home in Greensboro.