Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month Of March 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote now for featured tractor of the month of March 2013 (134 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote now for featured tractor of the month of March 2013

1. Jacobsen Chief - NCtractorman83 (15 votes [11.19%])

Percentage of vote: 11.19%

2. Bolens 1256D - 8tyman8 (10 votes [7.46%])

Percentage of vote: 7.46%

3. John Deere Parade Unit - grnspot110 (19 votes [14.18%])

Percentage of vote: 14.18%

4. Bush Hog D4-7 - Titus (13 votes [9.70%])

Percentage of vote: 9.70%

5. Cub Cadet 126 - backwoods (5 votes [3.73%])

Percentage of vote: 3.73%

6. Economy Jim Dandy - Bob 537 (18 votes [13.43%])

Percentage of vote: 13.43%

7. Voted Hesston 140 Front Runner - mowinman2 (27 votes [20.15%])

Percentage of vote: 20.15%

8. Economy Power King - Ryan313 (27 votes [20.15%])

Percentage of vote: 20.15%

#1 Brando OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 02:47 PM

I would like to nominate my 1964 Jacobsen Chief.My great grandfather bought it new in 64 from Oaklief Saw and Mower service Mansfield,Ohio with 36" deck and snowblower. I dont know alot about when he used other than my Grandpa telling me that Great Grandpa cut alot of grass with it. It was then passed to my Grandpa who mowed with it for a long time untill he got a New Wheel Horse in the late 80's. The Cheif sat in the barn 90 percent of the time excpet when my cousin was in town and grandpa would get it out and would mow with it and the wheel horse. I thought Grandpa was going to kill us the summer when we got caught racing the two tractors in the back field. When he met us at the barn when we was putting the tractors away i do believe we saw our life flas before our eyes and thats the last memory of Grandpa using the tractor.

Today, I now own the tractor. Grandpa gave it to me 2 years ago when i got my house. When i got it home from the 8 Hr ride from Ohio back here North Carolina i unloaded it and immediatly went and bought a battery and fresh gas. All i did was clean the carb, drain the tank and replace the fuel line and she was running in about 1 hour of being home. Now of course the first thing i did was call Grandpa and let him listen to it over the phone I could see him smiling through the phone. I mowed that whole summer with it, even let my nieghbor borrow it he hated the fact that to him my old rusty 40 some year old tractor cut grass better than his new throw away mower, haha. I decided it was time for the ol girl to get cleaned up and the restoration began. It took me about a year of on and off working on it to get it completed. My plan was to restore and retire the Chief but after going for the first drive after she was all done the plow abd duals went on and i started moving dirt, Next summer the Chief will be back on mowing duties.

Attached Thumbnails

• j25.jpg
  • jacduals2.jpg

Edited by NUTNDUN, February 05, 2013 - 08:47 PM.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 01:36 AM

1970 Bolens 1256D

So Fellow Gt-talk members This is my nomination the project began as a 1970 bolens 1256-06 it was equipped with a replaced wisconsin tra-12d gasoline engine that had some oil leaks and burning issues for every gallon of gas i would use i would need to add half a quart of oil so i pulled the motor with intentions of rebuilding it after i had it apart there was more wrong then i expected so i was going to put a Kohler k361 in place of the Wisconsin then i got the (being me i have to go out of the box) idea to go Diesel as there is only a hand full of bolens tubeframe tractors with diesel engines are they are yanmar or clone engines . i had also thought it MUST be able to start in the cold then a light bulb lit up Ding ding ding KUBOTA i decided on a Z482 2 cylinder liquid cooled engine i posted a Wanted add on kijiji i get a reply that night .. "i have a kubota rated at 13 hp 250" well let me tell you i tryed to get it for almost 7 months ! i get ready to leave to pic it up at 9 am he emails me at 9:15 am "Don't come it went for Scrap" i almost snapped so i gave up on it. then were in September and im back at high school (grade 12) my teacher brings in a B5100 ? kubota with a Z500 after i started that engine something just Clicked like "must find Another engine" sure enough i post another wanted add i get a email for a fellow saying i have a "kubota z482 $200" so i find out where he lives and its about 5+ hours one direction i said i will try to find away to get it so some time goes by he emails me "hello were coming down your way if you want i could bring it along" well it was closer then the other guy i i got the Engine then i started my 1256D project at school the oil pan was to big so i made one out of aluminum that i tig welded then i lenghtend the frame 6" for the longer engine and rad ... and all the other stuff the tractor is going to have upgraded Hydraulics and maybe a 3pt hitch then Power steering some day every thing is been custom so far i cant wait to get back to work on it (i am off for exams and such till feb 5th) it feels awesome sitting on the seat it will be used Alot in the winter (that why it must be able to start in the cold) with a 2 stage berco snow-blower and it might be used in the summer with a 42" mower deck had it running a few weeks ago and it runs nice i cant wait to drive it this 1256D is my second pride and Joy LOL its right next on the line to my H14 with power-steering Ps thanks for all the help from all the members of the forum on all my projects ! 

Tyler G

IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG IMG_0107.JPG

Edited by 8tyman8, February 02, 2013 - 01:48 AM.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#3 grnspot110 ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 08:31 AM

I would like to nominate my parade lineup:

HPIM0813 (600 x 455).jpg

Tractor Shows 2010 036_1.jpg

I started out with a 317 "rolling chassis":

GARDEN TRACTORS 583 (Small).jpg

Installed an 18 HP Kohler Command from a salvaged Miller welder.  Stretched the frame 28", added an Oak stake-side bed, stainless steel fire extinguishers as (working) saddle tanks, a "demo seat", canopy & other amenities.

I built the 317 "Special" for the purpose of a "parade unit".  I had previously towed a line of garden tractors, but since collecting so many John Deere lawn carts, this looked like the way to go! 

The carts are hooked together by bolting or clamping (depending on each cart) a drawbar to the tongue & axle of the leading cart:

HPIM0590 - Copy (Custom).JPG

For smaller or more distant parades I just take one trailer load:

HPIM0574 - Copy.JPG

Tractor Shows 2010 001 - Copy.JPG

I'm still adding to the pedal tractors so the lineup does change some at times:

Pedal tractors.jpg

HPIM2585 (Custom).JPG

This tractor & cart, when restored will ride the #10 lawn cart in the lineup!  ~~  Lowell

Edited by grnspot110, February 02, 2013 - 09:37 AM.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#4 Titus OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,691 Thanks
  • 2,217 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 06:02 PM

I would like to nominate my D4-7 Bush Hog garden tractor. This tractor is my second D4-7 & came to me via craigslist from a nice man who bought it off the original owner. Tractor runs great, turn key start and needed 0 work when I picked her up, which was a 1st for me. Came with the original snowblower, and all of the original manuals!
All original, taken care of and a blast to drive! In fact bush hogs were the first manual operating machine I've ever used. I bought this to use as a snowblower in the winter and a mower in the spring, summer, & fall. I am looking forward to getting some snow as I've only used this once and we got about an inch. I plan on owning this one for the rest of my life, and enjoying this machine for years to come.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3E43G23I75L75Kd5H2cam4d2b1f74f2e3184e.jpeg
  • 3G53Fb3J65Lf5Ic5E1cam89b63378dea51847.jpeg
  • 3I63M53N25Lf5N55J1camc209299ea5091cb5.jpeg
  • DSC_0669.JPG
  • DSC_0673.JPG
  • DSC_0675.JPG
  • DSC_0680.JPG
  • DSC_0681.JPG
  • DSC_0685.JPG
  • DSC_0687.JPG
  • DSC_0688.JPG

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#5 backwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8613
  • 2,049 Thanks
  • 2,429 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 03:37 PM

I would like to nominate my 1968 Cub Cadet 126 GT. I made a trade to get the cub last april it didnt look the best but over last summer i repainted and got it ready for winter duty. The P.O. told me some story about the guy he got it from was starting to build it into a GT puller and then gave up ,and i can tell the clutch spring has been chaged out the govenour has been bypassed and the rear tin's were cut to fit different tires. They had also modified a large snow plow for it,and with the help of a few members it's either a Snapper or a Massey plow.

The sole duty for the cub is snow removal however in the summer, it helps with cleaning the fire pit pulling the yard cart or pushing cars around.The plans for this year are to replace the clutch fix the slight crack in the frame from the clutch, and a complete tear down and repaint straighten the tins out new decals. Heres a few pics of it from the day i brought it home to the way it looks now.

tn_gallery_8613_278_74131.jpgtn_gallery_8613_278_98252.jpgtn_gallery_8613_278_99615.jpg tn_gallery_8613_380_17303.jpgtn_gallery_8613_278_167944.jpg

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#6 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 09:10 AM

I will nominate my 1959 Economy Jim Dandy

Back when I was kid (between the age 1-5) a neighbor gave this tractor to my dad. It did not run at the time. My dad then took the entire tractor apart painted it and put it back together with some modifications. When we got the tractor it came an economy dump trailer and a snow plow. the modification was the frame for the plow.

As a kid I would remember riding on the trailer (it had a seat) and dumping leaves in a pile in the back corner of the property. My dad also used the tractor to pull 15+ scrub oak stumps out of the ground, he also used it to plow snow off a pond in the neighborhood so all the kids could go ice skating, the pond is about the size of a hockey rink.

Back in 93 my father past away, I was 11 years old and my mom just could not handle the tractor so she gave it back to the neighbor that gave it to us. 

Its now 2012, I now have 3 kids and wanted to restore and old GT with my sons. I found an old cub, got it home and started to think about the tractor I had when I was a kid. I then asked my mom if she had the email address for the neighbor that had the tractor, and she did. I then emailed him and asked that if he still had the tractor and ever wanted to sell it, that i wanted first option to buy. A few months went by and I had a reply from the email I sent. It said "when do you want to come get it." So 2 days before my birthday I picked up the tractor got it home. The tractor sat in a storage trailer for a number of years, so i charged the battery, got the mouse nest out of the fan shroud and went to see if the engine would turn over, and it did, I then put gas in it and took it for a ride around the yard.

When i got the tractor it was missing the trailer and the plow. I found a plow for it and i use a trailer that i use on my truck. and i know do the same things with my kids as my father did with me. 

The first pic is of my dad plowing snow off the pond. the second pic is my oldest son and i moving the christmas tree and some logs to the back yard. the third is the tractor with the new plow. forth is me in the 4th of july parade

Attached Thumbnails

• photo-22.jpg
  • photo_3-7.jpg
  • photo-25.JPG
  • photo-14.JPG
  • DSC06496_2.JPG

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 06:44 PM

Due to the success we had with the tie breaker last month with a quick run off in the voting we are going to try it again. This time with 5 days to vote.

Voting will begin tonight at midnight and will end on the 25th at midnight. The thread is set to automatically open and close at those times. We will be posting a notice at the top of the page and possibly sending out private messages to remind everyone to vote. Good luck to all of the nominations.

• mustdive said thank you

#8 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 06:59 AM

that was easy for me this time  :thumbs:

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,663 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 07:57 AM

They are all winners. Thank you for all the nominees and sharing the great stories with us. Now to vote for just one...
  • KennyP and mustdive have said thanks

#10 powerking56 OFFLINE  

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Another great group of tractors, thanks all for getting your nominations in and the great stories that go with them.  

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 01:31 PM

I like the new banner for voting. Really got my attention. Nice group of tractors this month also.

• MailmAn and mustdive have said thanks

#12 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 04:13 AM

This seems to be the right way, to activate the members. Well done, George :thumbs:

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 6,358 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:10 AM

what were the "rules" or "needs" or :?? to ad their tractor?  Such as "original" or  Snow plowing, or  Leaf cutting/collecting.  I'm not making sense, too tired to get it right! 

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:15 AM

what were the "rules" or "needs" or :?? to ad their tractor? Such as "original" or Snow plowing, or Leaf cutting/collecting. I'm not making sense, too tired to get it right!

This month is "open" which means that you can nominate anything you want. If you go back to the featured tractor section and find the topic with the rules in it it has all of the categories listed.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,139 Thanks
  • 4,553 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 09:32 AM

Dang guys..  There's too many great tractors here and it was hard to pick just one!!  I'll do my civic duty though!  

See ya around!!