10 replies to this topic

#1 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 05:52 PM

will a J12 loader off a 1250 go on my ht20 or do i have to buy a J14? and what is the difference between the 2?

#2 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 07:06 PM

I believe there is a difference in the length of the upright supports. I'm sure someone will chime in with the details.

#3 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:25 AM

The loader on my 1250 came off a newer model, not sure which model but it was new enough to be green and white. The only difference I saw was that the forward support arms were horizontal vs. on an angle from other's I've seen. All I did was make two uprights to meet the newer style brace. I think they did this to clear the long skinny muffler on the newer models. I'm going tomorrow to look at a 1250 with the same loader, hopefully I'll have a second machine with a loader here soon.

From what I've seen over the years those loaders are pretty universal, if you can handle getting it mounted properly, the rest is just a matter of powering the pump and deciding where you want the levers. I put my levers on the left, they just felt better there. I made my own mounts, the original mounts were way too light for my liking and put too much stress on the frame. I made a top and bottom support for mine plus two custom mounts from 3/8" angle iron with gussets.

I don't think they made different loaders, just different mounting kits. The strength of most loaders is limited to how well its mounted and what the frame and supports can handle. On mine, I'd most likely blow out the tires or snap the axle before I overloaded my loader mounts.

#4 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 01:31 AM

I found this in with my 1250's owners manual and papers, its identical to the loader I put on it from the newer model tractor.

On mine, instead of mounting the pump bracket on the frame rail as in in the picture, I attached mine to a bracket on the loader frame. My idea in doing this means I can remove my loader as a complete assembly by just removing the bolts attaching it to the four mounts. Four bolts and my loader is off. The pump, controls, and loader all stand alone, connected to the tractor only by its mounts and a belt to the second pulley on the generator.

The only other alternative was to mount it with quick disconnects and leave the pump permanently mounted to the machine but I felt that connections would restrict flow.

I've seen model 10, model 12, and model 14 loaders on Bolens large frame tractors, there's even a page in my loader papers here listing the model 10 on an unmarked Bolens tractor. Myself, I never worried about what a loader came off of or was sold for, I just fit it to the model tractor at hand as if it were a new installation. The forward supports or mounts are just steel, I never have any concerns about my being able to just make what I need to get the loader installed properly.

(Johnson 14 Loader on 1250)

Front

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2yxptap.jpg

Rear

http://oi47.tinypic.com/2hyxfu0.jpg

This brochure is marked 8/68 at the bottom, so my guess is they offered one loader and various kits back then. I suppose the same continued as models progressed.

There was a FEL on eBay:

http://tinyurl.com/bz7pq7t

If it were closer, I'd have bought it myself but an 1000 mile round trip ride equals a lot of gas and a lot of cash that I'd rather spend on other things, that would end up being an $2000 loader real quick with fuel, and my time going after it.

When you make your own brackets, you also get to choose the angle and height of the loader, as well as where it sits on the frame. These small points can make huge differences in how usable it will be in the end.

Edited by yardiron, February 21, 2013 - 01:34 AM.

#5 2manytractors OFFLINE  

2manytractors
  • Member No: 27717
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 10:55 AM

How do you tell a Johnson model 12 from a model 14?

I'm in the process of modifying a loader from an MTD to fit my 1250, so far the only real fab work is in making the mounts for the sides of the frame. I'm also adding some extra bracing, but I'm not sure yet where or how I'll do it. I've been measuring to see if I can run a tube right through the frame with a pair of flanges to mount the loader rear supports on.

I'm also going to replace the cross brace on the loader frame with one more like what those Johnson loaders used.

#6 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 11:02 AM

i was just there i stayed at a super 8 in ashland

#7 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:16 PM

I'm still restoring my J14. Here is a pic of how the previous owner had mounted up the pump, a great idea. When I am done this loader will come off via pulling the pins holding the lift frame to the uprights. The pump stays on the tractor, the hoses stay with the lift frame and bucket via quick connects.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC09441.JPG
  • DSC09448.JPG
  • DSC09499.JPG
  • DSC09500.JPG
  • DSC09501.JPG

#8 makeitfit OFFLINE  

makeitfit
  • Member No: 23907
  • 12 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 02:44 AM

will a J12 loader off a 1250 go on my ht20 or do i have to buy a J14? and what is the difference between the 2?

The way I see it any loader will fit any tractor, its just a matter of making up the right mounts to hold it.
My neighbor here took a loader from a junk chinese tractor he bought at some auction and put it on a tube frame Bolens.

Its a bit big for the tractor but not that bad. If used within reason I suppose he'll be fine.

I would think that running a smaller loader would be a bit safer for the machine, in that there would be less chance of overloading the tractor. My neighbor can probably pick up enough in the bucket to blow out both front tires or worse.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 10:44 AM

The way I see it any loader will fit any tractor, its just a matter of making up the right mounts to hold it.

i have to agree. I've never known what the loaders were on previous to installing them and they have turned out fine. The main thing you need to check is the width and depth of the opening in the loader frame for the tractor. The rest is just a matter of fabrication. I have mounted the pumps underneath to run on the PTO shaft for the mower deck. But I don't use the loader tractors for mowing. 

#10 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Most of the older Model 12 loaders had an extra port on the controls where either they were equipped with or could have a float option added. Most model 12 loaders are found in JD form but like mentioned above, they will fit anything you put them on.

Anything that fits on a 1250 would be pretty darn close to fitting on a newer HT, the  only thing you may have to do is either move the rear mounts an inch or two forward or make up new forward mounts.

I prefer the model 12 because of its low mounted front rams and they have a better uncompromised lift cylinder mounting position. Most model 12 FELs have lift rams which push off the mid point of the tower, rather than just below the point of hinge up top. The result is an easier and smoother lifting motion. The only drawback can be if your running an opposed twin engine, the rams can block some engine access, but to me that's a minimal concern at best.

The model 14 has larger rams, but both are rated at the same 500lb lift capacity on equal machines. They both can lift far more than most tractors we put them on can handle.

The left hand controls are a plus for the model 12 too, especially if your machine has its speed controls on the right. Your right hand steers and controls engine speed, your left hand works the loader.

For me, my right arm is stronger and for wheeling the machine around smoothly with a loaded bucket, its just easier to have the loader controls at my left hand.

On the model 14 loader, everything ends up on your right side as most brands have their controls mounted to the right, at least on a Bolens your speed control is foot operated, only your throttle is on the right so its less of a concern for most.

#11 makeitfit OFFLINE  

makeitfit
  • Member No: 23907
  • 12 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:53 PM

While I can't say I've ever given it much thought but I guess having the loader on my left makes some sense. Being right handed, I can probably move the steering wheel better with my right and work the bucket just as well with my left.

Was the model 14 a replacement for the model 12 or just a heavier loader? Or was it just a different configuration to work better with certain brands?

I have to say after comparing the two the model 12 seems to be rarer. Most model 12 loaders I saw are on JD machines with hydro transmissions. I think a Bolens with foot controled hydrostat would be the better choice for a loader tractor over anything with hand controls or manual gears. The whole function of load, move, dump, repeat is just so much smoother with a single foot control.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ht20d