13 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 03:19 PM

I got a flyer from Harbor Freight stating in a couple weeks they would be having a sidewalk sale.

They are listing the 90 amp 110 volt welder for $79.99. I know they get mixed reviews but I can't come up with the $500 for a Hobart 140 right now.(Yes I looked at one sitting next to the one I mention below)

The Question comes in that I was in the local farm supply store yesterday they had a machine that looks exactly like the harbor Freight unit with a different name(escaprs me) for $169.

Is it likely that one facory builds these and there is no difference other than color and price?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Wouldn't be surprised at all, if not the same at that price point.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Is this the one ?  The only thing that might not be too good is it only has 2 heat settings but someone with more knowledge might be able to be more of a help , Al

http://www.harborfre...68887-8494.html

• JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 03:57 PM

I belong to a welding forum and quite a few folks have bought the chinese welders from HF and other sources. Some swear by them and some swear at 'em. I've bought a lot of things from HF over the yrs and every time I buy one I tell myself to remember what ya paid for this so when it breaks, quits or all the smoke leaks out I won't be quite so angry.I'm not gonna tell you that it must be red, blue or orange because I don't know how much you'll use it. I have a HF 1,000lb hyd lift table that's on it's 3rd pump, all on my nickel, but it's too handy to not have around. I also have a HF 1/4" air die grinder that's closing in on 25 yrs old and still works as  good as the day I bought it.

JMHO,

Mike

• Alc, JD DANNELS, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 04:07 PM

I have one that looks just like it, but with a different name, I don't really like it. But I never really liked flux core anyway.

• JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 04:13 PM

I've seen a number of welders on CL. You might get a better one for a very reasonable price that way. Just be sure to test it before buying. I went with a good Lincoln 30 years ago and it has paid for itself several times over. Good Luck, Rick

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 04:14 PM

Is this the one ?  The only thing that might not be too good is it only has 2 heat settings but someone with more knowledge might be able to be more of a help , Al

Yes that's the one!  Most I have found in that price range also only have two settings.

I do have a Miller Thunderbolt that I have never powered since the Flood in 2010 where it sat in 6 ft of water for a week.Really need to get it out and see if it will work or I have to scrap it? 

I don't have 220 in the garage so was thinking a 110 unit would be the way to go till I get a Shop built.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 20, 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 04:17 PM

One thing you might want to check is if the trigger control both and arc and motor or just the motor. On mine when the power is on so is the arc, the trigger controls just the motor.
  • Alc and JD DANNELS have said thanks

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 04:19 PM

I've got the HF Mig 151 220V flux core welder, usually runs $179 on sale. I've done a lot of welding with it using flux wire and for me a backyard weekend warrior, it has worked fine. I plan to upgrade wo tank/regualtor and run ture mig some day. Also I know nothing else, if I used a top of line wlder, I may say it was junk, I dunno. I know the one I have can use some Lincoln parts and there is a few threads on welder forums that show how to upgrade to make a dependable and better welder.

• Alc, JD DANNELS, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 04:21 PM

I can't say whether it is good or bad, but remember that it does say it only has enough power to efficiently weld 3/16" think metal. If you are going larger then that, the welder might not be for you.

Is this the one ? The only thing that might not be too good is it only has 2 heat settings but someone with more knowledge might be able to be more of a help , Al

It actually only has two voltage settings. Your amperage, is adjusted by the wire feed speed, and the wire stick out length. There is a chart on the inside cover of the welder that will get you CLOSE to the correct settings, you usually have to fine tune it.
  • Alc, JD DANNELS, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#11 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 20, 2013 - 05:40 PM

The lower end units are hot all of the time. the trigger is just to start the wire feed. This will lead to getting blinded when you least expect it and dingle berries were you dont want them. 

From what I have seen they all look the same on the inside. Make sure the amp rating is the same on both (apples to apples) If you are looking at a 80 and see one cheaper, make sure its not a 70.

• JD DANNELS, tractorgarden, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#12 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:07 PM

The lower end units are hot all of the time. the trigger is just to start the wire feed. This will lead to getting blinded when you least expect it and dingle berries were you dont want them. 

From what I have seen they all look the same on the inside. Make sure the amp rating is the same on both (apples to apples) If you are looking at a 80 and see one cheaper, make sure its not a 70.

I agree, My lower end Lincoln ,wire is hot as soon as the power switch is on.

#13 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:38 PM

I've been using one for about a year now good for light welding it has a short duty cycle.. It's easy to carry around because it is lightweight and plugs into 110 outlet.

If I had to do over would probably shop craig's list for a good used one but that is a crap shoot as well, you might just end up buying someone else s headache.

#14 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 10:06 PM

I have a similar welder with a different name on it and I am pleased with it for what it is. I have been using it for 5 years and burned a lot of wire through it. The wire is always hot on mine and I recommend an auto darkening helmet to prevent accidental spots.

Geno